There’s no doubt that GoPros are some of the best action cameras in the market today. However, when it comes to its battery life, these cameras don’t perform particularly too well. Typically, GoPro batteries last only for about an hour and a half when shooting in 1080p at 60fps. But you can extend your camera’s battery life by following some simple tips or by using my suggested GoPro extended battery accessories.
Therefore, in this article I’m going to give you tips to extend your GoPro battery life. You’ll also learn about some GoPro accessories that would let you use your GoPro for longer.
How Long Does a GoPro Battery Last?
Here’s how long the battery of each GoPro camera lasts when recording at their highest resolution:
- GoPro Hero 12 Black (5.3K /60fps): 70 minutes Read more on GoPro Hero 12 Battery
- GoPro Hero 11 Black (5.3K /60fps): 61 minutes. Read more on GoPro Hero 11 Black battery
- GoPro Hero 11 Mini (5.3K /60fps): 51 minutes. Read more on GoPro Hero 11 Mini battery
- GoPro Hero 10 Black (5.3K/60FPS): 60 minutes. Read more on GoPro Hero 10 Black battery
- GoPro Hero 9 Black (4K60): 2 hours and 11 minutes. Read more on GoPro Hero 9 Black battery
- GoPro Hero 8 Black (4K60): 1 hour 10 minutes. Read more on GoPro Hero 8 Black battery
- GoPro Hero 7 Black (4K60): 45 minutes. Read more on GoPro Hero 7 Black battery
- GoPro Hero 6 Black (4K60): 1 hour 10 minutes.
- GoPro Fusion (5.2K30): 1 hour 15 minutes.
- GoPro Hero 5 Black (4K30): 2 hours. Read more on GoPro Hero 5 Black battery
- GoPro Hero 4 Black (4K15): 1 hour 20 minutes.
Please note that all the cameras mentioned above come with removable batteries. In case the camera is giving less than expected battery performance, you can replace the battery with a new one.
8 Tips To Make Your GoPro Battery Last Longer
Listed below are the 8 easy and useful tips that’ll help you make your GoPro’s battery last longer:
#1. Don’t Use the Extra Settings (WiFi, GPS, Voice Control).
Turning off the extra settings like WiFi, GPS, voice control etc. can boost your GoPro’s battery life and make it last longer. However, it still won’t last too much longer because GoPro’s battery is already small. So, it’ll just add an extra 10-15 minutes of recording time.
#2. Keep Your Batteries Warm in Cold Weather.
Lithium-ion batteries are known for not working well in cold weather. So, consider putting your GoPro battery in an inside zippered pocket of your jacket when the camera is not in use.
#3. Turn Off the Screen (If Not Needed)
All the newer GoPro models come with a built-in LCD screen. Although the screen makes it more convenient to see what you’re recording and to change settings quickly, it also uses more power. So, if you’re looking to save your GoPro’s battery life, you’re better off sticking to the old-fashioned way of not using the LCD screen while using the camera.
#4. Keep ProTune Off
This one is totally up to you. Keeping ProTune off would give you a slight improvement in battery life of your camera. But, it also means that the image quality will not be as good. Personally, I always keep Protune ON, because I don’t mind losing out a bit in terms of battery life if I’m getting better image quality in return.
#5. Use a wall charger
I’m saying this because it’s a fact that you get a faster and better charge with a wall charger than with USB cable from your PC.
#6. Don’t use a remote or smartphone app
Using a remote (like GoPro REMO) or the GoPro Quik app significantly increase the battery consumption of your GoPro. So, unless it’s really required, try to avoid using a remote or a smartphone app with your GoPro.
#7. Download the latest firmware
Updating the firmware of your GoPro will not only fix lingering issues, but it can also increase the battery life, thanks to any small fixes the company might have implemented to improve its battery performance.
#8. Lower the Resolution
The fewer pixels and frames your GoPro has to record, the lesser energy it will use. Unless you’re very particular about recording the highest resolution footage with your GoPro, you can consider turning it down a notch. For example, reducing it from 4K to 1080p can help conserve battery life.
More tips on extend your battery life: How to Make Your GoPro Battery Life Last Longer
GoPro Extended Batteries (High Capacity)
You must have noticed that most of the tips given above involve you not being able to use your GoPro’s features to the fullest. If you’re someone who doesn’t want to compromise on these features, but still want better battery life, you can get an extra battery or two that you can swap whenever the battery on your GoPro runs low.
Here are the two batteries that I recommend for your GoPro:
Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) + Dual Charger
- Get extra power for your GoPro HERO7 Black, HERO6 Black, HERO5 Black, HERO (2018...
- Rated at 3.85V, 1220mAh; Compatible with ALL FIRMWARE updates
- Rechargeable lithium-ion battery with premium cells for longer battery life with no...
Compatible with: GoPro Hero 12 Black, 11 Black, 10 Black, 9 Black, 8 Black, Hero 7 Black, Hero 6 Black, Hero 5 Black, and Hero (2018)
The Wasabi high-power GoPro batteries (Rated at 3.85V, 1220mAh) work well with all the compatible GoPro cameras and their firmware updates. These batteries are built with premium cells for longer battery life and work exceptionally well as spare or replacement batteries. The pack also includes a dual charger that can charge both batteries at the same time.
Note: These batteries are NOT COMPATIBLE with the GoPro Hero 7 Silver, Hero 7 White, Hero 5 Session, Hero 4, or other previous GoPro models.
REYGEAK Batteries (3-Pack+charger)
- Battery and Charger Kit Fully compatible with GoPro HERO 12/11/10/9 Black Action...
- Portable Triple Charger Conveniently Charging 3 GoPro batteries simultaneously,...
- Unique and Compact Charger comes with a closed lid, can storage and charge 3...
Compatible with: GoPro Hero 12, 11, 10, 9
The REYGEAK Batteries (Rated at 5V) work absolutely great with the newest GoPros. Manufactured with premium cells for longer battery life, the batteries also feature inside protection to prevent over-charge, over-discharge, over-voltage, over-current, short circuit and over-heating. The included rapid dual charger easily charges 3 batteries at the same time.
Ready to Use Extended Battery?
If you’re looking to significantly increase your GoPro’s battery life, make sure you put into practice the tips above. If you don’t want to compromise with turning off some GoPro functions (wifi, bluetooth, etc) to make your battery last longer, then getting an extra pack of batteries would be a great option. Buy one of the above-mentioned battery packs, and GoPro battery life won’t be a problem anymore.
If you want to conserve your GoPro battery safe during years, do not charge it overnight! Why? Find the answer in our Guide: How Long for GoPro Battery to Charge? + GoPro Battery Hacks.
If you found this article useful, please share it with your friends and family 🙂
- GoPro Settings Explained: Definitive Guide [ + Cheat sheet ]
- GoPro Protune: Everything You Need to Know to Master Your Advanced Settings
- GoPro Slow Motion: Learning to Use Slow Motion