Is your GoPro battery draining quicker than expected? Are you worried it might be faulty?
In this article, we provide GoPro Battery Life stats for each GoPro camera, plus we discuss several ways you can extend your GoPro battery life by adjusting settings and using inexpensive accessories.
Are you ready?
Let’s dive right in!
How Long Should Your GoPro Battery Last?
In the best-case scenario, when camera settings are kept to a minimum (eg. 1060p60) and most features are off (wifi, voice control, etc.), new GoPro batteries will last roughly 2 hrs of continuous shooting depending on the model.
The most important factors of battery life are:
- How many camera features you have enabled
- Temperatures (cold temperatures are bad for batteries)
- Too many charge cycles (old battery)
By simply adjusting your camera settings and keeping the batteries warm, recording time can be extended up to an hour.
Battery Life of the GoPro HERO10
The GoPro Hero 10 features a 1720 mAh Lithium-ion battery. It offers a runtime of around 2 hours and 11 minutes on a full charge (when recording in 4K/30fps). Here’s what you can expect when it comes to the battery life of the GoPro Hero 10 Black:
|Hero 10||60 minutes||90 minutes|
Please note that this is the estimated run time you’ll get with Hero 10. The actual battery life may vary depending on various factors.
Battery Life of the GoPro HERO9
Featuring the exact same 1720mAh battery as the latest GoPro Hero 10, the Hero 9 can be used for up to 2 hours on a full charge. When it’s fully charged, the GoPro Hero 9 Black offers the following approximate maximum recording times:
|Hero 9 Black||90 minutes||112 minutes||90 minutes||104 minutes|
Battery Life of the GoPro HERO8
The GoPro Hero 8 Black has a 1220 mAh Lithium-ion rechargeable battery. It provides a runtime of more than 1 hour when recording in 4K on a fully charged GoPro Hero 8.
Here are the maximum recording times that you can achieve using different resolutions when shooting with a fully charged Hero 8 Black:
|Hero 8 Black||74 minutes||70 minutes||77 minutes||81 minutes|
Battery Life of the GoPro HERO7
Although the Black Edition has the shortest battery life of the Hero7 lineup, it features a removable battery not found on the White & Silver editions. A simple workaround for White & Silver users is to keep the camera under charge while filming.
|HERO7||Battery Life (Video Only)||Battery Life (Features ON)||Removable Battery|
Battery Life of the GoPro HERO6
The average battery life for the HERO6 Black edition is 1:40h shooting in standard 1080p60. Whereas if we set the camera to 240fps, we only get 1hr of shooting. It would be a smart idea to buy a bunch of extra batteries if you plan to shoot in slow-motion.
|HERO6||Real Time (720p/60fps)||Slow Motion (1080p/240fps)||Removable Battery|
Battery Life of the GoPro Fusion
Considering the resolution this camera provides, 1:15hrs is not bad.
|GoPro||Low Res. (3K60)||High Res. (5.2K30)||Removable Battery|
Battery Life of the GoPro HERO5
|HERO5||Video Only||All Features ON||Removable Battery|
Battery Life of the GoPro HERO4
|HERO4||Video Only||All Features ON||Removable Battery|
Battery Life of the GoPro HERO3+
The battery life on HERO3+ did not improve from the HERO3. The average filming time is roughly 1:30h.
|HERO3+||Video Only||All Features ON||Removable Battery|
Battery Life of the GoPro HERO3
The average filming time for the HERO3 Black is roughly 1:30h (filming in 1080p30) with a new battery. If your battery lasts significantly less than this, consider buying a new set. Batteries lose efficiency as they get older.
|HERO3||Lowest Power Consumption Setting||Highest Power Consumption Setting||Removable Battery|
How to Make Your GoPro Battery Last Longer
- Only turn your camera on when you want to film by using the Quick Capture function (from HERO5 above)
- Turn off Wifi, Bluetooth, Voice Control and GPS
- Keep GoPro batteries warm (pockets work well)
- Turn off the display (if not needed)
- Avoid controlling GoPro from your Phone (if not needed)
- Avoid using the GoPro remote controller (if not needed)
- Turn off extra lights
- Keep your camera firmware up to date
- Keep ProTune off (compromise on image quality)
- Take the battery out when you don’t use it. Features like Voice Control (if active) can drain power even if the camera is turned off.
Best Accessories for Extending GoPro Battery
So far we’ve discussed how to improve GoPro’s battery life without using accessories – but if you’d like to take advantage of WiFi, Voice Control, Stabilization, and ProTune without compromising on power, we recommend these accessories.
1. High Capacity Batteries
We’ve had enough time to test this GoPro battery pack and we have to say, they work really well. The increased capacity (about 15% more – 1480 mAh) makes the camera last longer than the original battery (1220 mAh). This pack comes with 3 high-capacity batteries and a charger. Charge them up the night before and you’ll be set for a full day.
- 【Exactly Same with Original】:Fully compatible with Gopro Hero 7 Battery, Hero 5...
- 【Multiple Protection 】: Features four layers of protection (over-charging,...
- 【More Battery, More Photo】: Triple your camera runtime with a complete backup...
For newer models, it’s recommended that you only use the original GoPro batteries:
For HERO8 Black:
- Conveniently charges two GoPro batteries simultaneously
- Charges via USB port for faster charging, or via the optional GoPro Supercharger...
- Dual LED lights display charging status of both batteries
For HERO9 Black/HERO10 Black:
- 1720mAh lithium-ion rechargeable battery
- Use as a spare or replacement battery for your GoPro HERO10 Black/HERO9 Black
- Optical zoom: 3.0 pitch
2. OBMART Extended Battery
With a 2300mAh battery capacity, the ORBMART external battery can work up to 120 minutes, which means your GoPro 5/6/7 can work about 3.5 hours continuously without replacing the battery. This one helps us get longer time-lapses with only one charge.
- Long Duration: Avoid replacing battery frequently while doing normal shooting...
- Multiple Protection: The protective frame is used to protect the camera and side...
- Widely Use: This side power is essentially a high-capacity power bank, which means...
3. Battery Bacpac (for HERO4)
The GoPro Battery Bacpac is a battery extension kit available for GoPro HERO4.
- Model Compatibility: GoPro HERO4, GoPro HERO3
- Replaces: eMachine B-5804
- Battery Capacity (mAh): 10
4. Vidpro Battery Hand Grip
This handgrip has a built-in rechargeable 6000mAh battery supply. It’s ideal for action shots, crowd shots or hard-to-reach angles. Plus it includes a smartphone holder and an adapter for your GoPro.
- Vidpro PG-6 6000mAh Battery Hand Grip Monopod for Compact Digital Cameras,...
5. Xooper Portable Solar charger
We’ve been using this portable solar charger for all of our longer trips. It’s great because it holds quite a lot of power on a full charge – enough to power your GoPro and smartphone multiple times and still have power for friends.
- 【High Capacity Solar Charger】Built in 26800mAh grade A Li-Polymer battery,...
- 【Multi Charging Modes】Unique designed with Type-C & Micro USB dual input charging...
- 【Universal Compatible Power Bank】Compatible with almost all USB-Powered devices,...
GoPro Battery Life – FAQ’s
Still have questions? Here are 6 of the most frequently asked questions relating to GoPro battery life.
Can you replace a GoPro battery?
All GoPro camera models feature a removable battery, except the Session & HERO7 Silver & White.
Does cold weather affect GoPro Battery life?
Yes. GoPro batteries will drain faster in colder temperatures. For best performance, keep your batteries above 10°C/50°F.
GoPro battery will not charge?
If your GoPro does not charge when plugged in, try to replace the cable, use a different USB charger, reset the camera by holding both buttons, or by using an external charger.
Can you take a GoPro battery on a plane?
Yes, you can take GoPro batteries with you on your flight. However, some airlines have restrictions surrounding the quantity.
Are GoPro batteries lithium?
Yes. GoPro cameras are powered by rechargeable Li-ion batteries (3.85V – 1220mAh) which are lithium batteries.
How do you charge a GoPro battery?
There are two ways for charging your GoPro battery: One, is by using an external charger that allows you to recharge multiple batteries at the same time while using your camera. Two is to plug your GoPro into a USB power source (wall charger is faster) with its power cable and wait until the battery icon shows fully charged.
Thanks for reading! 🙏
I hope this guide helped you learn about the several ways to extend your GoPro battery life. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends 🙂
- GoPro Settings Explained: Definitive Guide [ Expanded for 2021 + Cheat sheet ]
- GoPro Protune: Everything You Need to Know to Master Your Advanced Settings
- GoPro Slow Motion: Learning to Use Slow Motion
- GoPro Low Light Tips: Learn How to Improve Your Low Light Footage
- GoPro Time Lapse: Creating Stunning Time Lapse Shots