GoPro is a great choice for vloggers. The rugged camera lets you conveniently document your own personal experiences or travels. Many Youtubers prefer GoPro cameras to create vlogs and other videos for their channels because of their versatility and small size of these quality cameras. In this article you will learn about some great GoPro Vlog Setup that you can do with different GoPro models. Towards the end, I will also give you some some bonus tips that will let you shoot vlogs like a pro!
5 Best GoPro Vlogging Kits
Here are the 5 best GoPro Vlogging setups that I recommend:
#1. Lenton GoPro Vlogging Kit for Hero 5, 6, 7
- Specially Designed for GoPro Hero 7 6 5 action cameras with GoPro Mic Adapter.
- Professional MIC: The cardioid microphone with a professional shock mount is super...
- Tripod: This handheld table tripod have adjustable legs (3 level heights), it also...
Specially designed for GoPro Hero 5, 6 and 7 action cameras with GoPro Mic adapter, the Lenton GoPro Vlogging Kit is a full-fledged vlogging kit. It features a professional microphone, a tripod and an LED light.
The microphone is a cardioid mic with a professional shock mount. It’s wonderfully shielded and provides amazing recording quality without any interference. The tripod is a handheld table tripod with 3 level adjustable heights. The LED light, although lightweight, is surprisingly bright!
#2. GoPro Display Mod – Official Accessory (Hero 8/9/10)
- 2-inch flip-up screen makes vlogging easy
- Built-in rechargeable battery and micro-HDMI connector
- Folding design for easy storage and transport
This Display Mod is perfect addition to your GoPro setup allowing you to see what the camera is aimed at your Hero 8/9/10. The battery life is longer than expected and you can count on built-in rechargeable battery and micro-HDMI connector. Also the ability to switch between screens is perfect for vlogging. Have in mind that in order to use it you’ll need a Media Mod (sold separately). Thanks to its folding design it’s easy to storage and transport.
For more info on display mode read this article: GoPro Display Mod: Front Screen for Hero8 & Hero9
#3. GoPro Media Mod (Hero 8 Black)
- Built-in directional mic delivers crystal-clear audio and reduces wind and ambient...
- 2 cold-shoe mounts to attach your favorite lights, mics or LCD screens
- 3.5mm mic port lets you add an external mic for enhanced audio
With the Hero 8 Black, GoPro has made their accessory system more vlogging-friendly. The GoPro Media Mod is a great step in this direction. It can, literally, turn your Hero 8 Black into a production powerhouse! This mountable Media Mod wraps around the body of the camera and attaches to its USB-C port. It features an incredible built-in directional microphone that delivers crystal-clear audio and reduces wind and ambient noise, and a 3.5mm mic port for your favorite external mics. Overall, it’s a great choice if you’re looking to add an external mic to the GoPro Hero 8 Black.
In addition to being a nice mic adapter for GoPro, the Media Mod performs several other functions. You can use its HDMI-out port for easy playback on your TV. It also has two cold-shoe mounts to attach lights, mics or LCD screens. This accessory is specially designed for use with Display Mod and Light Mod for Hero 8 Black.
#4. GoPro Media Mod (Hero 9/10/11 Black)
- Built-in directional mic highlights voice audio and reduces ambient noise
- Tough, weather-resistant construction withstands the elements
- 2 cold-shoe mounts to attach your favorite lights, mics or LCD screens
GoPro Media Mod for Hero 9 Black can, literally, turn your Hero 9 Black into a production powerhouse! This mountable Media Mod wraps around the body of the camera and attaches to its USB-C port. It features an incredible built-in directional microphone that delivers crystal-clear audio and reduces wind and ambient noise, and a 3.5mm mic port for your favorite external mics. Overall, it’s a great choice if you’re looking to add an external mic to the GoPro Hero 9 Black.
In addition to being a nice mic adapter for GoPro, the Media Mod performs several other functions. You can use its HDMI-out port for easy playback on your TV. It also has two cold-shoe mounts to attach lights, mics or LCD screens. This accessory is specially designed for use with Light Mod for Hero 9 Black.
#5. GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter (Hero 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
- Enables high-quality audio capture when using a pro-level external mic.Mounting Type:...
- USB-C power and data extension with 90° connector
- Connects a wide range of external 3.5mm mics
Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter is a 106dB stereo analog-to-digital converter from GoPro that goes from the 3.5mm adapter on the mic to the USB-C port on the GoPro. It lets you capture high-quality audio when you connect a good quality external microphone to your GoPro. This adapter also features an additional 90° connector for USB-C power and data extension.
So, whether you want crystal-clear studio sound for music or clearer voice audio in action environments, you can quickly and easily connect a wide range of 3.5mm microphones to your GoPro with this adapter.
Combine it with the following microphone, and you get a perfect GoPro Vlog setup:
- Rode Wireless Go – Compact Wireless Microphone
- Combo Clip-On Microphone Or Beltpack Transmitter For Lavalier/Headset Mic/ Built-In...
- Audio Delivers Crystal Clear Audio Under Any Conditions/ Up To 70M Range But...
- Power Tx And Rx Have Built-In Usb-C Rechargeable Batteries/ Up To 7 Hours On A Full...
The compact wireless microphone Rode Wireless Go comprises of a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter can be used either as a quick and easy clip-on wireless mic (thanks to a built-in omnidirectional condenser capsule), or as a super compact beltpack transmitter for a lavalier microphone via the 3.5mm TRS input. The receiver is also pretty compact, which makes the whole system extremely portable.
This wireless microphone delivers crystal-clear audio under all conditions. The built-in USB-C rechargeable batteries give up to 7 hours backup on a full charge. Its setup is also very convenient: you can pair the transmitter and receiver in just 3 seconds!
Find more info on Hero 10 Media mod and mic adapter in the following article: GoPro Hero 10 Mic Adapter: Do You Need it? [GUIDE].
5 Tips to Improve Your Vlogs with GoPro
- Case – Use a small protective case to keep your GoPro safe, and a larger case to keep all your other gear together.
- Spare Batteries – As a minimum have 1 spare battery, making sure it’s always charged as a spare. It doesn’t hurt to have 2 more if you’re “out in the field” for longer periods.
- Battery Charger – A dual battery charger is great for a fast charge of both your GoPro batteries.
- Gimbal/Hypersmooth – If you are doing any travel vlogging then you may need to activate hypersmooth (digital stabilization) or a gimbal in order to keep your videos smooth and stable at all times.
- Editing Software – Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro are my two go to software for editing great GoPro videos. Click here to learn more about video editing.
- Light – Avoid vlogging in low light conditions and in direct sun light. If you can’t avoid it, then ensure you adjust the ISO level in Protune. 800+ ISO max is a good setting for low light indoor, however, you will still end up with grainy looking video. Use a flash light if possible (even your smartphone’s one could be ok). Check out our article on Led Video Light to know what is our Top Pick Light for video makers.
GoPro Vlog Setup – VIDEO SETTINGS
Learn more about GoPro Settings here: GoPro Settings Explained: Best for Action, Travel and More
- Resolution: 4K/1080p
- Frames Per Second: 30
- Field of Vision: Linear
- Video Stabilization: On
- Auto Audio Mode Group: Auto
GoPro Vlog Setup – PROTUNE SETTINGS
Here are the recommended settings for Protune:
- White Balance: Auto
- Color: GoPro Flat for color grading / GoPro Color for GoPro style footage
- Shutter: Auto
- ISO Limit: 400 (the higher the ISO the more noise)
- EV Comp: 0.0
- Sharpness: Medium
- Raw Audio Track: Off
Ready For Vlogging?
GoPro can be a great camera for vlogging if you implement the few tips above. The main reason is due to GoPro’s small size, which makes it perfect for travel vloggers who want to keep a low profile while making videos in the public.
Do you already use GoPro for vlogging? Let me know in the comments below, and if you enjoyed this article, please share it with your friends.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn about GoPro Vlog Setup 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!
Also check out:
- [Vlog Guide] Are GoPros Good for Vlogging? Let’s Find Out!
- GoPro vs iPhone: What Is the Best Camera for Travel & Vlog?
- Compare GoPro Models: Hero7 vs Hero8 vs Hero9
- Camera Battle: GoPro vs DSLR (under $400) for Video