GoPro is a great action camera for shooting your underwater adventures like scuba diving and snorkelling. All the latest models of GoPro are waterproof without housing (down to 33ft/10m). But, if you want to go deeper or, you are just looking for GoPro underwater accessories to help you film your water adventures, then you are in the right place!
In this article, you’ll learn about the new must-have GoPro Underwater Accessories of 2021. I’ll also give you some useful tips that will help you shoot underwater like a pro!
7 Must-Have GoPro Underwater Accessories
Listed below are the seven important accessories that I suggest you use while shooting with your GoPro underwater.
- For Snorkelling (Hero 4 and older)
A waterproof housing for snorkelling is only needed if you have GoPro model that came before Hero 5. All models that came afterwards are waterproof down to 10m/33ft, beyond which nobody usually goes while snorkelling.
- Waterproof depth: Use this Black waterproof housing you can take your gopro hero...
- TWO BACK COVER: Waterproof back cover and Touch back cover for your use, when you use...
- Compatible with Gopro HERO4/HERO3+/HERO3, When you insert your camera, you can also...
Compatible with the GoPro Hero 4, Hero 3+ and Hero 3 cameras, the Suptig Waterproof Housing can go down to 45m/147ft making it perfect for snorkelling and even deep-sea diving. It also offers extra protection against dust, scratches and shocks. With this housing installed, you can easily operate the shutter/power button or select key/Mode button of your GoPro. It has toughened glass in front of the camera with light transmission rate of 98%, which lets you shoot realistic and beautiful pictures underwater.
- For Scuba Diving (Hero 5 and newer)
For shooting your scuba diving action, ALL GoPros require a waterproof housing because you need to go deeper than the maximum 10 metre limit (that comes with the latest GoPro models) while diving.
- Protects your HERO8 Black from mud, dirt and debris during extreme activities
- Waterproof down to 196ft (60m)—perfect for deep-water diving
- Includes a skeleton backdoor for improved audio capture and easy access to the...
This is the GoPro official waterproof housing for the Hero 8 camera. It’s waterproof down to 60m/196ft — perfect for deep-water diving. This housing protects your Hero 8 Black from mud, dirt and debris during extreme activities underwater. It also includes a skeleton backdoor for improved audio capture and easy access to the camera’s touch screen. The flat glass lens helps capture sharp, high-quality images of beautiful scenes underwater.
Similar waterproof housings are also available for other latest GoPro models, including Hero 9, Hero 7, Hero 6 and Hero 5.
A floating Stick/Pole/Grip is one of the most useful accessories for your GoPro when filming underwater. Here are its two major uses:
- It helps you have a better overall control of the camera underwater.
- It prevents your camera from sinking.
- Keeps Your GoPro afloat Better than ever before so you can Shoot in and around the...
- Easy to switch between mounts with a quick release base
- Enables more stable footage than Holding the Camera by hand makes it easy to aim your...
The official GoPro Handler Floating Hand Grip helps keep your GoPro afloat so that you can shoot in and around the water worry-free! It features a bright orange cap piece which makes it easy-to-spot in case you happen to drop it in the water. Its comfortable, non-slip construction helps you maintain a secure grip while holding it.
Dome Port Housing
A Dome Port Housing is an amazing gear that lets you shoot amazing split-photos and videos half above water & half underwater.
- SHOOT Dome Port,a newly designed dome for taking photos/videos by the sea or by the...
- High Transparent Dome Lens offer you high visibility to capture vivid images 50/50...
- Waterproof up to 147ft, Overall Waterproof Case for easy installation and use....
Compatible with the GoPro Hero 8 Black, the SHOOT Dome Port is a recently designed Dome Post Housing for capturing vivid 50/50 above and below the water photos/videos by the sea or by the pool. It’s waterproof down to 45m/147ft.
There are many more dome port housings available in the market too, if you own a GoPro model other than the Hero 8 Black. However, please ensure that you buy a known brand product.
Red Filter Diving Lens
As you dive deeper into the sea, the picture quality deteriorates due to lack of adequate sunlight and the fact that the reds are lost. That’s where Red Filters come into picture. These filters help enhance the picture and bring back the reds, which are lost as you dive deeper.
Red Filters are of three kinds: Light Red filter (for color correction in clear freshwater at shallow depth: 2-15 ft), Red Filter (for color correction in blue/tropical water at depth: 15-85 ft), and Magenta Filter (for color correction in waters that appear green, like in lakes and reservoirs at depth: 8-75 ft).
I recommend that you use a multi-filter pack, so that you can easily change filters as you go in deeper or come back to shallow waters. Here’s the one that I’ve personally used and liked:
- Engineered specifically for the HERO8 Black Protective Housing (only fits the HERO8...
- Capture vibrant colors in blue, green, and shallow waters
- Dual-Lock installation with a primary snap on design and a reinforcing screw-tighten...
Diving Camera Rig
The Diving Camera Rig helps you have better control of your camera while scuba-diving, letting you achieve stable, high quality footage.
- SOLID CAMERA RIG - Strong Aluminum Alloy Tray is corrosion resistant and provides...
- MULTIPLE MOUNTING OPTIONS - Features two cold shoe mounts for LED GoPro light,...
- 1-YEAR WARRANTY: We’ve got your back. Our products are designed to ease your...
Compatible with GoPros and many other action cameras, the Movo GB-U70 Underwater Diving Rig is built with strong and corrosion-resistant Aluminum Alloy Tray. It provides amazing stability while shooting your underwater dives with your action camera. It also features an adjustable wrist strap for enhanced safety and to avoid dropping.
Waterproof LED Lights
Whether you are diving during the night-time or in deep waters that have dark spots (where the wavelengths of sunlight are lost), the waterproof LED lights are very helpful!
- Widely used: Perfect compatibility with Gopro Max, Hero 9, Hero 8, Hero 7 Hero 6,...
- GREAT DIVING LIGHTS Take amazing POV underwater vids with this Suptig light for Gopro...
- WIDE-ANGLE 500Lumen Max. (5500K-6000K) by 36 LEDs.This is THE underwater light to buy...
Compatible with all GoPro cameras, the Suptig Waterproof LED Light is capable of going down to 45m/147ft underwater. This wide angle 500 Lumen LED light offers three modes: Normal (HI), Power-saving (LOW), and Flash (SOS).
Large microSD Card
A large microSD memory card is a pre-requisite before going underwater with your GoPro. After all, the last you’d want is discovering that your SD card is full while you’re capturing your amazing diving adventure. There’s currently no way to change memory cards underwater.
Here’s my favorite memory card by the trusted brand SanDisk:
- Ideal for Android smartphones and tablets, action cameras, and drones
- Up to 160MB/s
- Compact and durable microSD card reader
The SanDisk Extreme MicroSD Card is available in 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 400GB, 512GB, and 1TB storage size variants.
Tips to Help You Shoot Underwater
Listed below are some useful tips for shooting underwater with your GoPro camera:
- Ensure that your GoPro battery is fully charged before heading underwater.
- Disable bluetooth and WiFi while diving to save battery.
- Ensure enough space in SD Card (since there’s no way to change your SD card underwater).
- Avoid filming against the sun for a good quality image with full detail of colors.
- Avoid too many takes while filming underwater.
- Keep your camera steady by using accessories like a floating stick while snorkelling or a camera rig while scuba-diving.
Whether you are a diver, snorkeler or just a beach lover, I hope you will find these tips and accessories useful!
Enjoy your GoPro adventures!
If you found this article useful, please share it. It may come useful to somebody else too 🙂
- GoPro Underwater: Complete Guide to Settings, Filming & Accessories
- 7 Best GoPro (RED) Dive Filters for True Underwater Colors
- Top 8 GoPro Dive Housings & Underwater Cases of 2021
- The 14 Most Important GoPro Tips for Beginners