For the scuba diving lovers, being able to document memorable moments of your dive is a real delight! It keeps that beautiful sight of colorful marine life, coral reefs etc. from your deep sea adventure alive forever.
If you’re into diving photography, chances are that do you own a GoPro, as it is the most popular action camera around. And that isn’t for no reason. Probably no other action cam is as rugged, versatile and high performance as a GoPro! But even GoPro alone is not enough sometimes for truly vibrant underwater shots. That’s where GoPro Underwater Filters help.
Do You Need a Filter for GoPro Underwater?
You won’t be able to utilize the full potential of the capability of your GoPro underwater if you use it without red lens filters. These filters help enhance the picture by reintroducing the reds into the scene, which are lost as you dive deeper.
So, if you need attractive pictures and videos of your unforgettable dives, we highly recommend that you use GoPro Dive Filters. Have a look at the video below to get an idea of how these filters help.
How to Use GoPro Underwater Red Filters
To understand how to use underwater red filters, it is important to know about the three major kinds of dive filters and their purpose.
- Light Red filter (for color correction in clear freshwater at shallow depth: 2-15ft),
- Red Filter (for color correction in blue/tropical water at depth: 15-85 ft), and
- Magenta Filter (for color correction in waters that appear green, like in lakes and reservoirs at depth: 8-75 ft).
We recommend you to use a multi-filter pack, so that you can easily change filters as you go in deeper or come back to shallow waters.
7 Best Underwater Filters for GoPro
You might feel overwhelmed by the large number of different brands and types of filters available in the market. But, don’t worry! We have done all the research in this subject. Here are 7 best underwater filters for your GoPro with their detailed specifications and review.
#1: GoPro Blue Water Snorkel Filter | GoPro Official
- GoPro Model: Hero 5 & 6
- Includes: Red Snorkel Filter, Tether and Microfiber Bag
- Filter Type: Red Snorkel Filter
- Provides color correction while capturing footage in blue water or clear freshwater...
- Constructed of scratch resistant, optical grade glass for optimal image clarity
- Presses into place directly on the camera, no tools or housing required
What we like: From the makers of GoPro themselves, this blue water filter is constructed of scratch-resistant, optical-grade glass for optimal image clarity. The installation is surprisingly quick and tool-free. It is designed to fit perfectly in the Super Suit dive housing featured in Hero 5 & 6. Meant for depths between 15 and 70 feet, this filter provides excellent color balance correction for snorkeling and diving in shallow water.
What we don’t like: It is pricey (maybe because it is a GoPro official product), considering that you get only one filter.
#2: PolarPro Aqua Filter 3-Pack (Red, Magenta, Snorkel)
- GoPro Model: Hero 5 & 6
- Includes: 3 Filter Set, Custom Case
- Filter Type: Red, Magenta & Snorkel Filters
- Engineered specifically for the Hero6 / Hero5 SuperSuit Housing
- Set includes Red, Magenta, and Snorkel Filters
- Proprietary color formulas guarantee flawless tropical videos
What we like: If you’re looking for a money-saving deal for all kinds of underwater environments, this PolarPro pack of three filters is what you must buy! It is engineered to fit perfectly to Hero 5 & 6 Super Suit housing. The red filter is designed for tropical or blue waters from 15 to 80 feet deep, while the magenta filter is for similar depth in green waters. There is also a snorkel filter for enhancing colors in shallow tropical water from 2 to 15 feet deep. All these filters work perfectly and bring about beautiful, tropical colors in your underwater footage.
What we don’t like: This is a highly rated product that comes at a reasonable price. It is one of the best in the market and there are no major drawbacks that we can think of.
#3: Housing Case Filter Kit for GoPro
- GoPro Model: Hero 5 & 6
- Includes: 3 Filter Set, Waterproof Housing Case, 10 Pack Anti-fog Inserts
- Filter Type: Light Red, Red & Magenta Filters
- ★ Specially designed for GoPro Hero 7 Hero 6 Hero 5 Black/ Hero (2018). Made of...
- ★ Upgrade waterproof case, easy to install. It's no need to remove cover lens...
- ★ Includes 3-Pack dive filters: The filters can be easily snap on and off by Kupton...
What we like: This 3 filter set from Kupton comes standard with a waterproof housing case and anti-fog inserts. The case makes it very convenient to install, and you don’t need to remove the cover lens before the camera is put into the housing. Light red filter is for snorkeling at 2-15 feet depth in blue or clear fresh water. Red filter is for scuba diving at 15-85 feet depth in blue or tropical sea water. Then there is Magenta filter, which is meant for green looking water at 7-70 feet depth.
What we don’t like: The only complaint about this product is that it sometimes fogs up quickly. Even the anti-fog inserts don’t work properly.
#4: Aqua Filter for GoPro (Red/Magenta/Yellow Filter Set – 5 Pack)
- GoPro Model: Hero 4, Hero 3+, Hero + LCD & Hero Standard Housing
- Includes: 5 Filter Set, Tether and Microfiber Cloth
- Filter Type: Yellow, Magenta, Red (for 5-20 ft), Red (for 20-50 ft) & Red (for 50+ ft) Filters
- Featuring five interchangeable filters at varying depth, the Aqua Filter is the most...
- ✔ Yellow Filter for Night Diving ✔ Magenta Filter for Green Water
- ✔ 5-20 ft, 20-50 ft, 50+ ft Red Filters for Blue Water ✔ Frame for swapping...
What we like: This versatile set of five interchangeable filters by Sandmarc is actually a rather good bargain! It has an interesting new addition: the yellow filter which is useful is you plan to dive at night. Other than that, you get three red filters for varied depths, that can be used to improve the picture quality in blue water. Magenta filter, as you know, does its job well in green water.
What we don’t like: A few users of this product have pointed out that it is somewhat difficult to change the filters underwater.
#5: Waterproof Housing Case for GoPro Hero 8 Black + 3 Filters
- GoPro Model: Hero 8
- Includes: 3 Filter Set, Waterproof Case, Quick pull movable socket, Screw & 12 Pack Anti-fog Inserts
- Filter Type: Pink, Red & Purple Filters
- 【LIFE-TIME Warranty】 30-Day money back guarantee, LIFE-TIME Warranty and friendly...
- 【SOFT BUTTONS】 Soft buttons will not damage the camera buttons, and the touch is...
- 【DESIGNED FOR】GoPro Hero 8 Black
What we like: Compatible with the latest GoPro Hero 8 Black camera, this product has a lifetime warranty! The filters come with a waterproof housing case which makes them easy to snap on and off. The included anti-fog inserts ensure that there is no fogging of lens in cold and humid environments underwater. The three filters do their job well:
- Pink filter (color correction in snorkel depth blue water or clear freshwater),
- Red filter (color correction in blue or tropical water at the depth of 15 to 85 feet), &
- Purple filter (color correction in freshwater appearing green at more than 7 feet).
What we don’t like: Condensation issues in housing. Though it’s not a deal breaker, just expect that it may occur at times, and plan accordingly.
#6: Red Dive / Snorkel Filter for GoPro
- GoPro Model: Hero 5, 6, 7
- Includes: Red Dive/Snorkel Filter, Filter Case & Cleaning Cloth
- Filter Type: Red Dive/Snorkel Filter
- ✔️PERFECT COLOR CORRECTION - Red color filter designed for perfect color...
- ✔️PROTECTS LENS – Filter adds an additional layer of protection while exploring...
- ✔️PRECISELY ENGINEERED - Precision tooling/design allows you to easily remove...
What we like: This Red color filter by Chronos is designed for perfect color correction while you’re out there diving or snorkeling (up to 10m depth) on your next trip. Engineered with precision, this product lets you remove the lens easily, without worrying about whether it is securely fit.
What we don’t like: This product is not compatible with GoPro Super Suit Housing that comes for Hero 5 & 6. It fits directly on cam.
#7: 3-Pack Dive Filter for GoPro (Red, Light Red and Magenta Filter)
- GoPro Model: Hero 8
- Includes: 3 Filter Set, 3 Pcs Safety Tethers & Drawstring Bag
- Filter Type: Red, Light Red and Magenta Filter
- Provide Outstanding Improvement of Underwater Footage: This professional 3 in 1...
- Direct Snap-on Attachment: Easily snap on / off the filter to the original protective...
- Reserved Slot for Tether: In case of loss, loop the included tether to the side of...
What we like: Last but not the least, Soonsun pack of three filters is compatible with the latest GoPro Hero 8. It contains a red filter, light red filter and magenta filter for varying depths and water environments (as you must be well-versed with, by now). Each of these filters perform their role of capturing vibrant underwater shots exceptionally well.
What we don’t like: An addition of anti-fog inserts in the kit would have been great!
Want more? Read the GoPro Underwater Guide
To know more about the tips and tricks that will help you capture awesome underwater photos and videos while snorkeling/diving, along with info about some useful GoPro accessories, visit GoPro Underwater Guide.