All GoPro cameras come with built-in microphones. The on-board mic does a decent job for casual users. However, if you’re someone who wants to create professional videos or vlogs with your GoPro, you may be disappointed by its audio quality. That’s where external microphones come into play.
In this article I’ve provided a review of the 7 best GoPro external microphones (and adapters) that will help you record a supreme audio! Ready?
About GoPro Mic Adapters
Don’t forget to purchase the mic adapter to use your GoPro with an external microphone. Most GoPros don’t have a dedicated audio input port. So, an adapter is needed to connect the external 3.5mm jack microphone to the USB-C/mini-USB port (depending upon the model) of your GoPro.
Most of the microphones mentioned below (except the GoPro Media Mod) require an additional adapter to connect the GoPro with the external microphone. The media mod itself acts as an adapter.
7 Best GoPro Microphones + Adapters
Here are the 7 best microphones + adapters for GoPro:
GoPro Official Media Mod
The official GoPro Media Mod is a versatile and multi-functional media mod that includes a microphone as well as a mic adapter along with several other useful features.
GoPro Media Mod Microphone
Since the arrival of Hero 8 Black, GoPro has made their accessory system more vlogging-friendly. The GoPro Media Mod is a great step in this direction. It’s available for Hero 12, 11, 10, 9 and 8. Please note that the media mod accessory for Hero 8 and Hero latest models are different (as described below).
GoPro Media Mod for Hero 12, 11, 10 and 9 Black can, literally, turn your gopro into a production powerhouse! This mountable Media Mod wraps around the body of the camera and attaches to its USB-C port. It features an incredible built-in directional microphone that delivers crystal-clear audio and reduces wind and ambient noise, and a 3.5mm mic port for your favorite external mics. Overall, it’s a great choice if you’re looking to add an external mic to their GoPro.
In addition to being a nice mic adapter for GoPro, the Media Mod performs several other functions. You can use its HDMI-out port for easy playback on your TV. It also has two cold-shoe mounts to attach lights, mics or LCD screens. This accessory is specially designed for use with Display Mod and Light Mod.
- Built-in directional mic highlights voice audio and reduces ambient noise
- Tough, weather-resistant construction withstands the elements
- 2 cold-shoe mounts to attach your favorite lights, mics or LCD screens
A Media Mod for GoPro Hero 8 performs similar functions as the one above, except that it’s built for the GoPro Hero 8.
- Built-in directional mic delivers crystal-clear audio and reduces wind and ambient...
- 2 cold-shoe mounts to attach your favorite lights, mics or LCD screens
- 3.5mm mic port lets you add an external mic for enhanced audio
These microphones can be connected via a wireless setup. It’s a great accessory for those who don’t like to see cables running between the camera and subject.
Compact Wireless Microphone – Rode Wireless Go
- Combo Clip-On Microphone Or Beltpack Transmitter For Lavalier/Headset Mic/ Built-In...
- Audio Delivers Crystal Clear Audio Under Any Conditions/ Up To 70M Range But...
- Power Tx And Rx Have Built-In Usb-C Rechargeable Batteries/ Up To 7 Hours On A Full...
The compact wireless microphone Rode Wireless Go comprises of a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter can be used either as a quick and easy clip-on wireless mic (thanks to a built-in omnidirectional condenser capsule), or as a super compact beltpack transmitter for a lavalier microphone via the 3.5mm TRS input. The receiver is also pretty compact, which makes the whole system extremely portable.
This wireless microphone delivers crystal-clear audio under all conditions. The built-in USB-C rechargeable batteries give up to 7 hours backup on a full charge. Its setup is also very convenient: you can pair the transmitter and receiver in just 3 seconds!
Pixel Wireless Lavalier Microphone
- Wireless Charging & Long Use Time: Super long lasting power supply of 12 hours, no...
- Noise Reduction & UHF Transmission: This wireless lavalier microphone system adopt...
- Earphone Monitoring & Background Audio Input - You can connect your phone or computer...
Widely used for YouTube livestream, Vlog recording and interviews, the Pixel Wireless Lavalier microphone includes one transmitter and one receiver. The battery backup provided by this wireless audio transmitter and receiver is very impressive at up to 6 hours on a full charge.
This microphone is extremely advanced and can cut off the low frequency part of audio for pure and clear output. It can also suppress car whistle, environmental and wind noise, providing an overall better recording effect for you.
Shotgun microphones do a good job at cancelling ambient noise. It makes these external microphones perfect for vlogging.
Compact On-Camera Microphone – Rode VideoMicro
- Compact microphone designed to improve the audio quality of your videos - only 80...
- No battery required (powered by camera plug-in power - min 3V)
- Includes Rycote lyre shock mount and deluxe furry windshield
Rode VideoMicro is powered by camera plug-in power, which means that it doesn’t need a battery to work. It’s compact and inexpensive. The 3.5mm Audio Aux connector lets you plug it to your GoPro camera (of course with a Mic Adapter) and record significantly better audio.
With the included wind screen, you can use it even in super windy situations and it’ll still record high quality audio for your footage. I’d highly recommend this microphone to all those who are looking to record crystal-clear audio for interviews and vlogs.
Lightweight On-Camera Microphone – Rode VideoMic GO
- Delivers clear, crisp, directional audio with incredible ease of use
- Rode designed the videomic go with a tight pickup area that focuses directly in front...
- Reduces other surrounding sounds, ensuring that your subject is isolated from...
The Rode VideoMic GO – the lightest external microphone by Rode – delivers clear and crisp directional audio. Like the last one, this microphone also runs on camera’s battery backup. So, you don’t need a separate battery for this mic. The included windshield lets you record clear audio even in windy conditions. With no complicated switches or settings, it’s also extremely easy-to-use.
This microphone is designed to focus the tight pickup area directly in front of the mic. It does a great job of reducing the surrounding sounds, therefore ensuring that your subject is isolated from background noise.
Whether you’re planning to conduct an interview or record Youtube videos indoors, the lavalier microphone is a great option. These omnidirectional microphones are inexpensive and work great with GoPro (having external mic adapter installed).
Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier Condenser Microphone
- Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier microphone - 20' Audio Cable
- Includes lapel clip and foam windscreen
- Sensitivity -30dB +/- 3dB / 0dB = 1V/Pa, 1kHz
The Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier microphone comprises of a 20 feet Audio Cable, a lapel clip and a foam windscreen. The microphone connects via a 4’ long cable with 3.5mm audio plug.
I’d recommend it if you’re looking for a budget microphone for your GoPro.
GoPro Official Mic Adapter
This official mic adapter from GoPro works perfectly with the GoPro cameras that have USB-C port.
Please note that GoPro doesn’t allow third-party USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapters to work with GoPro. The camera fails to recognize external microphone when using a third-party adapter.
So, the GoPro official adapter is the only option you have if you don’t want to buy the media mod (for Hero 12, 11, 10, 9 and 8) but still want to connect an external mic to your GoPro.
GoPro Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter
- Enables high-quality audio capture when using a pro-level external mic.Mounting Type:...
- USB-C power and data extension with 90° connector
- Connects a wide range of external 3.5mm mics
Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter is a 106dB stereo analog-to-digital converter from GoPro that goes from the 3.5mm adapter on the mic to the USB-C port on the GoPro. It lets you capture high-quality audio when you connect a good quality external microphone to your GoPro. This adapter also features an additional 90° connector for USB-C power and data extension.
So, whether you want crystal-clear studio sound for music or clearer voice audio in action environments, you can quickly and easily connect a wide range of 3.5mm microphones to your GoPro with this adapter.
Which GoPro External Mic Should You Choose?
If you’re a professional vlogger and have GoPro Hero 12, 11, 10, 9 or 8, I’d recommend a setup that includes the GoPro Media Mod plus the compact Rode Wireless Go microphone. This setup will give you maximum flexibility and supreme audio.
For those who want an inexpensive microphone that works, the Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier Condenser Microphone does a great job.
Enjoy your GoPro adventures!
If you found this article useful, please share it. It may come useful to somebody else too. 🙂
- 9 Best GoPro Microphones of 2021 + Adapters
- GoPro Hero 8 Media Mod & Light Mod
- The 14 Most Important GoPro Tips for Beginners