The latest GoPro camera – Hero 9 Black – is the most advanced GoPro yet! In addition to the improved versions of GoPro’s trademark flagship features, like HyperSmooth, TimeWarp, etc., the Hero 9 Black features a new front screen that shows you a live view from the lens. Plus, it also has a bigger battery than its predecessors.
If you’ve just got your new GoPro Hero 9 Black, this tutorial is for you. Here, you’ll learn how to get started with your new action camera – right from unboxing it, to capturing your first video.
So, are you ready to get your new GoPro Hero 9 up and running ASAP? Let’s dive in! 🙂
GoPro Hero 9 Black – Getting Started
Wondering what’s the first thing you should do after unboxing your camera? Here’s how you get started with your new GoPro Hero 9 Black.
Following are the initial steps to set up your new GoPro action camera:
#1. Insert the Memory Card
First and foremost, a microSD card is needed to be inserted into your GoPro Hero 9 Black, so that you can save your action camera’s videos and photos. You’ll have to buy a micro SD card for your camera separately from the market, as it isn’t usually included in the package. However, you may, in some cases, get it as a part of an ongoing limited period offer.
Here are the specs to look for in a Hero 9 Black compatible microSD card:
- The memory card should be a microSD, microSDHC, or microSDXC card.
- The card should be a branded, like SanDisk, Delkin, Sony, etc.
- Its speed rating should be minimum Class 10, UHS-I.
- The action camera can hold up to 256GB capacity microSD cards.
#1. SanDisk Extreme UHS-I microSD Card
- Up to 160MB/s read speeds to save time transferring high res images and 4K UHD...
- Up to 90MB/s write speeds for fast shooting; Requires compatible devices capable of...
- 4K UHD and Full HD Ready with UHS speed class 3 (U3) and video speed class 30 (V30)
#2. Lexar Professional 1066x Silver
- Professional-level performance for action cameras, drones, Android smartphones,...
- Leverages UHS-I technology to deliver read speeds up to 160MB/s
- Quickly capture high-quality images and extended lengths of Full-HD and 4K UHD with...
#3. SanDisk Extreme Plus
Here’s the list of recommended microSD cards for Hero 9 Black: 7 Best SD Cards for GoPro Hero 9.
– GoPro Hero 9 Black: How to insert & eject the microSD Card?
Follow these steps to insert a microSD card into your Hero 9 Black & eject it:
- Unlock the door latch at the side of your camera, and flip the door open.
- With your camera off, insert the microSD card into the card slot with the label facing the battery compartment.
- You can eject the card by pressing it into the slot with your fingernail.
#2. Insert the Battery
You get the GoPro Hero 9 Black’s Rechargeable Battery included in the package. So, to get the best performance, ensure that you use only this battery, or a genuine GoPro Hero 9 Black replacement battery with your new GoPro Hero 9 Black.
For more battery life tricks check out: GoPro Hero 9 Battery Life: How Long Can You Film? [+Tips].
– How to insert the Battery into your Hero 9 Black?
Following are the steps to insert the battery into your GoPro Hero 9 Black:
- Unlock the door latch at the side of your camera, and flip the door open.
- With your camera off, insert the battery into the battery compartment.
- Connect your camera to a USB charger or computer using the included USB-C cable. It will take about 3 hours for the battery to fully charge. The camera status light will turn off when it’s done.
- Unplug the cable and shut the door when charging is complete. Ensure that the door latch is closed and locked before you start using your camera.
#3. Update the Camera Software
To get the latest features and best performance from your GoPro Hero 9 Black, make sure that it has the most current software version. There are two ways to update your GoPro Hero 9 software:
- With the GoPro App
- Manual Update by visiting the GoPro website
– Steps to update GoPro Hero 9 Black with the GoPro App:
- Download the GoPro app from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Follow the app’s on-screen instructions to connect your camera to your mobile device. If new camera software is available, the app will automatically tell you how to install it.
– Steps to update the GoPro Hero 9 Black Manually:
- Visit gopro.com/update.
- Choose ‘Hero 9 Black’ from the list of cameras.
- Select ‘Update your camera manually’. Follow the instructions.
#4. Power ON the Camera
To turn ON your GoPro Hero 9 Black, simply press the Power/Mode button, located on the side of the camera. The status light will flash three times. When the camera screen displays information, the camera is on.
To power OFF the camera, you need to press and hold the Power/Mode button for 3 seconds.
#5. Start Shooting
After your camera is powered on, you’re almost ready to start shooting. The GoPro Hero 9 has three main capture modes, which include Video, Photo, and Time-Lapse. You can change modes by swiping left or right to the one you want.
The Video Mode includes Standard, Activity, Cinematic, and Slo-Mo presets. The Photo Mode includes Photo, LiveBurst, Burst, and Night presets. Lastly, the Time Lapse Mode includes TimeWarp Video, Time Lapse, and Night Lapse presets.
Here’s how to change the presets:
- Tap the capture settings.
- Tap the preset that you want.
That’s it! All of the preset’s settings will be locked into your camera and you’re ready to go.
Read more on Time Warp and Time-lapse: GoPro Hero 9 Time Lapse & Time Warp GUIDE + Best Settings.
– Getting the Shot with your GoPro Hero 9 Black:
- Simply press the Shutter button to start recording.
- Press the Shutter button again to stop recording (only for Video & Time Lapse).
What Are The Best Settings for GoPro Hero 9?
The best settings for the GoPro HERO9 depend on your specific use case and shooting preferences. However, here are some recommended settings to get the most out of your HERO9:
- Video Resolution: The HERO9 supports up to 5K video resolution, but for most purposes, 4K at 60fps or 30fps is a good balance between quality and file size. For slow-motion footage, consider using 1080p at 240fps.
- Video Stabilization: The HERO9 features HyperSmooth 3.0, which provides excellent video stabilization. It is recommended to keep this setting enabled for most shooting scenarios.
- Field of View (FOV): The HERO9 allows you to choose from four FOV options, including Wide, Linear, Narrow, and SuperView. Wide is the default option and is suitable for most scenarios, but for action shots or extreme sports, SuperView can capture a wider perspective.
- Protune Settings: If you want more control over your footage, consider enabling Protune, which allows for manual control over settings such as ISO, shutter speed, and white balance. However, it requires more expertise and post-processing to get the most out of your footage.
- Time Lapse: For time-lapse videos, choose the interval based on the desired speed of the final video. A good starting point is one photo every second or two seconds.
Remember to consider the lighting conditions and environment when choosing your settings, and don’t be afraid to experiment to find the best settings for your specific needs.
Is GoPro Hero 9 Easy To Use?
Yes, the GoPro HERO 9 is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use, even for beginners. Its intuitive touch screen interface allows for easy navigation and control of camera settings, while its compact and lightweight design makes it easy to handle and carry.
Additionally, the HERO 9 features several built-in shooting modes that simplify the process of capturing high-quality video and photos. The camera’s HyperSmooth 3.0 video stabilization technology helps eliminate shakiness and produces smooth and steady footage, while the TimeWarp 3.0 feature allows for creative time-lapse videos with automatic speed adjustments based on motion, scene detection, and lighting.
The HERO 9 also includes voice control, allowing you to start and stop recording or take photos hands-free with simple voice commands. Plus, with the GoPro mobile app, you can easily transfer and edit your footage on your smartphone, making the entire process from capture to sharing straightforward and user-friendly.
Overall, the GoPro HERO 9 is designed with ease of use in mind, making it an excellent choice for both experienced and novice users who want to capture their adventures with ease and confidence.
GoPro Hero 9 Black: Tips for Beginners
Here are some useful tips that might come in handy for new GoPro Hero 9 users:
- Use the right GoPro Hero 9 Black Mount/Accessory for the activity you’re shooting.
- Use Red Filters or GoPro LUTs in post production for Quality Underwater Shots.
- Eliminate Lens Fog by using Anti-Fog Inserts, when shooting underwater.
- Utilize the GoPro Hero 9 Battery Wisely.
- Use a Fast microSD Card with your GoPro Hero 9 Black.
- Stabilize your Shots with GoPro’s HyperSmooth EIS.
- Use GoPro Display Mod for vlogging
GoPro Hero 9 Black Tutorial: Final Words
The newest GoPro Hero 12 has been release not far ago.
Check out how do they compare: GoPro Hero 12 vs GoPro Hero 9: Worth the Upgrade?
Thanks for reading!
I hope this GoPro Hero 9 tutorial will give you all the basic information you need to get up and running with your new action camera. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!
- GoPro Settings Explained: Definitive Guide [ Expanded for 2021 + Cheatsheet ]
- ProTune: Everything You Need to Know to Master the Advanced GoPro Settings
- GoPro Slow Motion: Learning to Use Slow Motion
- GoPro Low Light Tips: Learn How to Improve Your Low Light Footage
- Time Lapse: Creating Stunning Time-Lapse Shots with GoPro