Hunting is an art and if you are someone who is keen to capture those thrilling moments on the field, then what’s better than a GoPro?
Over the years, GoPro is known for its quality and durability. The rugged design and waterproof exterior makes it a perfect fit for any outdoor adventure.
A few added accessories and certain change of settings on your GoPro can enhance your overall experience. GoPro mounts for hunting let you remain hands-free and capture some fabulous shots during your adventures. The following sections cover some amazing options and add-on tips for you to make your hunting experience with GoPro a memorable one.
What’s the Best GoPro for Hunting?
When it comes to choosing the best GoPro for hunting, the ideal option depends on your specific needs and desired outcomes. Generally, the latest models like the GoPro Hero 9, 10, and 11 are the top choices for capturing your hunting adventures. These cameras boast advanced features, such as the HyperSmooth stabilization, which provide superior performance for action-packed hunting scenarios, including instances where the GoPro is mounted on a dog. es.
amazon box=”B0B96H7LGX” template=”horizontal”]
While all three models, the GoPro Hero 9, 10, and 11, share a similar build and design, numerous enhancements have been made from the Hero 9 to the Hero 11. These improvements include a more powerful processor, advanced stabilization technology, and a larger sensor size, making the Hero 11 an exceptional action camera.
All three cameras excel in capturing high-quality, stable footage, and if you’re willing to forgo some features like frame rates and processing speed, the Hero 9 remains a solid choice. However, the latest GoPro release, the Hero 11, boasts remarkable new additions such as extended battery life, enhanced stability, additional timelapse options, and more. In the end, your decision should be based on your budget and specific needs, allowing you to select the most suitable camera for your requirements.
Read the following article to learn more the differences between these cameras: GoPro Hero 11 vs 10 vs 9: How do they compare?
GoPro Accessories for Hunting
It is not possible to hunt or fish with all your focus while filming eye-catchy, perfect angle shots at the same time. GoPro accessories not only let you remain hands-free but also ensure great adjustability and wide range of applicability. They keep your GoPro in better condition and provide stability so you can have a fulfilling experience on your next hunting trip.
This video illustrates how to film hunts with a GoPro and it also shows the GoPro hunting mount that we’ve reviewed here in this article:
Let’s have a look at some of these incredible GoPro gear for hunting:
#1: GoPro Camo Housing + QuickClip
GoPro Camo Housing is popular due to its fabulous camouflage print which helps maintain a low profile and eliminates unwanted reflections. It helps you stay focused and blends you in with the woodland surroundings.
- Realtree Xtra-5 Camouflage Print - Non-reflective print is optimized for all...
- Includes QuickClip - Lets you attach the Camo Housing to a backwards baseball cap or...
- LCD Concealment Stickers help eliminate light reflection from the housing’s LCD...
What we like: This waterproof Camo housing with a quick clip for easy accessibility is perfect for your next adventure outing. It can fix well with any object ranging from 3mm to 10mm. The Realtree Xtra pattern blends perfectly with the surroundings and the concealment stickers protects the GoPro LCD screen from light reflections. This product features a standard, skeleton and touch backdoors along with a strong mounting buckle.
What we don’t like: (There are as such no major drawbacks for this product).
#2: GoPro Gun/Rod/Bow Mount
The GoPro official Gun Mount is favoured for its stability and quality. It is light-weight, easy to carry and a stylish gear which is compatible with almost all Guns/Rods/Bows. It proves to be a perfect mount for your GoPro to carry on your next adventure.
- Compatible with most shotguns, rifles, revolvers, airsoft, paintball and pellet guns,...
- Mount up to two cameras to capture footage looking forward, backwards, or both...
- Camera(s) can be mounted below or to the side of a gun barrel or fishing rod
What we like: It is a light-weight, steady mount with amazing glare-eliminating black matte finish to stay out of sight. Two cameras can be mounted for front and back footage. The specially designed backdoor mount ensures extra stability during recoil. This mount is compatible with almost all guns, rods and bows.
What we don’t like: The only drawback is the lack of padding on the mount.
More gun mounts in the review: Best 7 GoPro Gun/Rod/Bow Mounts.
#3: Adjustable Crossbow Gun Scope Clamp
This strong, flexible crossbow gun clamp mount is perfect for capturing perfect shots while hunting through varied angles.
- Crack-resistant and durable nylon material clamp.
- Clamp any pole diameter up to 1.3 inch.Perfect for crossbow gun to capture your bow...
- Non-slip rubber padded clamp ensure the camera stayed in place and will not move.
What we like: It is a compact, portable clamp mount made of tough and durable nylon material. The clamp is made of anti-slip rubber which keeps the GoPro safe by maintaining a strong hold. This clamp is scratch-resistant and can mount to any pole upto 1.3 inch in diameter. It has great adjustability and the easy in-out mechanism makes it even more desirable.
What we don’t like: Though this clamp mount is well designed and constructed but it is a bit bulky.
#4: Sportsman Clamp Gun/Rod/Bow Mount for GoPro
GoPro Sportsman Clamp Mount is known for being super compatible with many sports cameras, and also, for its great stability at a reasonable price. It is solid, durable and versatile. It proves to be a great deal if you are looking for adventure outings or training the people who like fishing, shooting, and hunting.
- Fits 0.4 "to 0.9" diameter: The clamp allows you to mount one or two action cameras...
- Easy installation, angle adjustable: With handle, the clip can be easily adjusted...
- Compatible with GoPro Hero 11, Hero 10 /8 /7 /6, hero 5 /4 session; compatible with...
What we like: Along with being made of extremely strong and durable material, it offers great stability. It is well compatible with many sports cameras other than GoPros. The mount offers amazing adjustability supporting 360 degrees rotation. You can mount two GoPro cameras or similar action cameras simultaneously for wide applicability.
What we don’t like: It is a multi-functional clamp mount but is a bit confusing to assemble (put on and off).
Find all the most reliable clamp mounts: 10 Best Clamp Mounts for GoPro (+ Creative Filming Ideas).
#5: GoPro Performance Chest Mount
The official GoPro Performance Chest Mount is steady, flexible and made with padded design which makes it comfortable to wear and capture stable, hands-free great POV footage during different activities like biking, skiing, surfing and many more.
- Lightweight, flexible construction balances comfort and performance
- Padded and breathable materials stay comfortable during any activity
- Fully adjustable to fit a wide range of body types and over heavy winter jackets
What we like: It is made from lightweight, breathable material with a standard 3-prong mount. The Chesty is adjustable to be an easy fit for almost everyone with heavy clothings as well, during varied adventures. The Quick-release buckle enables for easy in and out even with gloves on. This Chest mount ensures steady, hands-free, great POV footage.
What we don’t like: In spite of the comfortable and flexible design there is a minor drawback, which is that the J hook isn’t available with the mount.
Find more chest mounts: 7 Best GoPro Chest Mounts for Hands-free Shooting (Adult/Kid).
#6: GoPro Fetch Dog Harness
The official GoPro Fetch Dog Harness is very popular for its quality and durability. Its soft and padded design keeps your dog comfortable while he is digging, playing, running etc.
- Capture the world from your dog’s point of view
- 2 mounting locations (back and chest) enable a variety of perspectives
- Fully adjustable to fit dogs from 15 to 120 pounds (7 to 54 kilograms)
What we like: It is a very comfortable fit for any dog due to its brilliant adjustability to fit different sizes. The material is waterproof and easily washable. This dog harness supports quick release mechanism for easy in-out. The two mounting locations on the back and the chest provide wide range for capturing stunning footage from your dog’s POV.
What we don’t like: The mount is a bit wobbly at times which can lead to shaky output.
Find more dog harnesses in the article: Top 5 GoPro Dog Harness Mounts for Your Pet.
#7: Aluminum Alloy Cap Clip for Hunting with GoPro
A trendy way to attach your Gopro on the bill of your baseball hat to capture some fabulous shots while in action. It is easy to carry, assemble and lets you enjoy your adventure hands-free.
- BASEBALL CAP CLAMP: Wear your Gopro on the bill of your baseball hat and catch all...
- MULTIPLE USES: Clip to backpack, purse straps, even to your dog's harness! Get...
- POSSIBILITIES: Imagine filming sporting events, hiking, scenic drives, boating,...
What we like: It is an easy and convenient way to capture great POV footage from various different angles. The clip is compatible with almost all GoPro models and is multi-functional, other than the cap, it can be attached to your backpack, purses, hats etc. This small accessory helps in widening your perspective and makes your shooting experience all the more fun.
What we don’t like: It does work well with stiff brim caps but proves to be a bit heavy and wobbly with the light-weight ones.
GoPro Hunting Tips
As hunters, many of you might get too involved and wrapped up into the action. With GoPro mounts you can continue with your adventure without worrying about not getting a perfect, stabilized shot. For example, while shooting ducks, turkeys etc. You can always clamp the mount below the barrel for getting wide range of view.
For most gun shots, I personally prefer to keep my GoPro settings as 1080p/60fps in medium view because 1080p allows a lot of storage space and 60fps allows good quality slow motion videos while post processing.
Here are few tips which might prove to be beneficial while you are on a hunt…
GoPro Settings for Hunting
- Slow action (idle times): 1080p / 30fps / Protune ON / ISO min 100 / ISO max 400 / Stabilization OFF/ON
- Fast action (GoPro on dog): 1080p / 120fps / Protune ON / ISO min 100 / ISO max 400 / Stabilization ON
For more GoPro Settings Check Out: GoPro Settings Explained: Best for Action, Travel and More
Recording Audio while hunting
GoPro is not the best when it comes to recording audio while in movement. It does take in the vibrations from surroundings and makes the audio all muffled up. So a tip, if you still need to record while shooting is :
- Keep the GoPro as still as possible. Do not hold it in your hand but mount it to a handle or elsewhere to minimize the effect of noise.
Reducing effect of Water while hunting
- Use a floaty which is compact, handy and keeps your GoPro from sinking in. The bright orange colour of the floaty makes it easy to spot if your GoPro falls in water while hunting.
- Also, to reduce the effect of raindrops and moisture use GoPro casey, waterproof housing or other accessories like anti-fog inserts to protect the lens.
Using different Mounts while hunting
- Head Mount: Angle the camera (not downwards or upright but slightly in between) and adjust the strap a bit sidewards towards tilting of your head while shooting. That way your gun would not hinder the view.
- Chest Mount: It is not a good option while you are shooting, lifting up your gun or bow, but does capture the movement of your hands well.
- Sportsman Mount: It is a strong mount which can withstand rough field conditions and keeps the cam safe even in heavy movements.
- Dog Harness: You can always get creative and attach a mount on your dog’s harness to have an idea of what lies in the field ahead.
Self-filming hunts has become increasingly popular among hunters, especially those who want to document their experiences and share them with others. Self-filming involves capturing video footage of your hunting experience, from setting up your hunting blind or stand to the moment you take your shot.
With the help of technology, such as trail cameras and action cameras like GoPro, self-filming is now easier and more accessible than ever before. It can be a challenging and rewarding experience, as it requires careful planning, attention to detail, and patience. As alternative for GoPro you can take a look at 7 Best (Affordable!) Cameras for Self Filming Hunts.
Ready for Hunting With Your GoPro?
GoPro cameras are a great option for hunters who want to capture their experiences in the field. With their compact and durable design, they can withstand tough conditions and capture high-quality footage of your hunts. Whether you’re using a chest mount, head mount, or other mounting accessories, GoPro cameras can provide unique and immersive perspectives that traditional hunting cameras may not be able to capture.
With the ability to shoot in 4K, take high-resolution photos, and capture slow-motion footage, GoPro cameras offer a range of creative options for hunters looking to document their adventures.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn all about GoPro for Hunting.
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!
- 7 BEST Video Cameras for Hunting on a Budget
- GoPro for Hunting: Tips + Best Settings + Accessories
- 7 Best SD Cards for Trail Cameras
- 5 BEST Trail Cameras Under $100 (Specs, Tips, Price)
- 5 Best Superzoom Camera for Birding (Under $500)