Are you someone who likes to have the camera rolling when you’re out hunting? Then you must be aware of the role a good camera plays in capturing flawless shots of your hunts. While hunting, you never know when something big is going to happen, which is why self-filming the entire duration of your hunt is essential. And, to achieve this, you need to have a decent video camera.
That’s what this article aims to address – the best cameras for those who are interested in self-filming their hunts.
Types of Cameras Suitable for Self-Filming Hunts
Broadly speaking, there are four types of cameras suitable for self-filming hunts:
- DSLR Video Cameras – DSLRs are a great choice for self-shooting your hunting videos. They are capable of shooting your hunts at high frame rates and resolutions. These cameras can easily produce stunning footage in HD, 4K resolutions.
- Camcorders – Camcorders are traditional video cameras capable of recording live-motion video and audio for later playback.
- Action Cameras – Action cameras are tiny cameras that you can mount to your helmet, head, gun, or other surfaces, making them highly suitable for self-shooting your hunts discreetly.
- Live-Streaming Cameras – As the name suggests, these cameras are used for streaming live video to the web.
7 Best Cameras for Self-Filming Hunts
Here are the seven best cameras for self-filming hunts. Note that the list below has a few cameras in each category as mentioned above.
Best DSLR Video Cameras For Self-Shooting Hunts
#1. Nikon D850 DSLR
- Nikon designed back side illuminated (BSI) full frame image sensor with no optical...
- 45.7 megapixels of extraordinary resolution, outstanding dynamic range and virtually...
- Up to 9 fps1 continuous shooting at full resolution with full AF performance
The Nikon D850 DSLR is a wonderful camera for filming outdoor experiences. It can capture some amazing videos of your hunting adventures. In fact, a lot of today’s hunting shows are filmed with this one or similar DSLRs. This camera is capable of shooting 8k6 and 4k time-lapse movies with new levels of sharpness and detail. When it comes to stills, this camera offers 45.7 megapixels of extraordinary resolution, outstanding dynamic range, and virtually no risk of moiré.
Apart from all this, the area where the Nikon D850 really shines is its low-light shooting capabilities. The camera has a setting called Silent Live View Mode, which allows you to not only capture crisp, beautiful shots with minimal light but also have amazing autofocus in low light. All in all, I would say that if you’re looking for a quality DSLR for self-shooting your hunts (without breaking the bank), then you should definitely consider getting the Nikon D7500.
#2. Canon EOS 5DS R DSLR
- LPF (Low-pass filter) effect cancellation takes full advantage of the original...
- Newly designed 50.6 Megapixel full-frame CMOS helps deliver ultra-high resolution...
- EOS Scene Detection System features a 150,000-pixel RGB+IR Metering Sensor.Purchase...
Boasting a 50.6-megapixel sensor, the Canon EOS 5DS R Digital SLR is lightning fast with its Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors. It’s a great hunting camera for both hobbyists and professionals.
The Canon EOS 5DS R can shoot videos at 1080p HD resolution. At 50.6MP, the picture resolution that this camera offers is simply amazing! Overall, this camera is great for self-shooting your hunts and offers incredible value. A good-buy.
Best Camcorders For Self-Shooting Hunts
#3. Panasonic X2000 4K Professional Camcorder
- [PRO FEATURES] WiFi live streaming, manual rings, ND filters, built-in LED video...
- [VW-HU1 HANDLE] Includes a detachable handle equipped with a 2-channel XLR Audio...
- [4K RECORDING] 4K 60p recording in a small and light body with a heat-dispersing...
A superb camcorder with 4K/60fps capability, the Panasonic X2000 is an excellent choice for self-shooting your hunts. It features 24x optical zoom, which makes it perfect for capturing high-quality close-ups of wildlife. The camera can shoot 1080p HD footage at 120fps, so it’s great for slow-motion scenes too.
Additionally, the Panasonic X2000 also has Wi-fi live-streaming capabilities built-in, which is pretty awesome, considering the potential you have with streaming the events live. Overall, this one is the best camcorder for the price it comes at.
#4. Canon XF405 Professional Camcorder
- 1.0-inch 4K UHD CMOS image sensor
- 15x Optical 4K UHD Zoom Lens with 5-Axis Optical Image Stabilization
- Dual DIGIC DV 6 Image Processors
This one is amongst the best cameras for hunting. But, the thing is that it’s expensive! So, if money is not an issue, and you want simply the best for self-shooting your hunts, then you should definitely go for the Canon XF405 Professional Camcorder. This camera has everything you need to film outdoors – from external sound to dual SD card slots for filming over longer periods of time.
The Canon XF405 can record 4K footage at 60fps, and slow-motion up to 120 fps in full HD. It features a 15x optical zoom, which is pretty great if you want to capture wildlife from somewhat far. I, personally, prefer optical zoom over digital zoom anytime. It gives amazing clarity even if you’re far away from the subject.
Best Action Cameras For Self-Shooting Hunts
#5. GoPro HERO10 Black
- Revolutionary Processor: Faster. Smoother. Better. The powerful new GP2 engine...
- High-Res Photos plus Videos, High Frame Rate: Step up to the sharpest-shooting GoPro...
- Unbelievable Image Quality: Shoot with fine detail, realistic textures and stunning...
GoPros, in general, are great for filming your hunts because they’re so versatile and easy to hide owing to their tiny size. The newest GoPro camera: the GoPro Hero 10 Black is the best action camera for self-shooting your hunts with convenience. It can shoot some superb shoot 5.3K videos and 23MP stills. Thanks to its GP-2 processor, the interface of the Hero 10 Black is super smooth.
The in-built mounting system is, of course, an added advantage for shooting the wildlife on the go. You can mount the camera on many things, whether it’s your head, helmet, gun, or any kind of rod and so on. What’s more, with HyperSmooth 4.0, the image stabilization on the GoPro Hero 10 is superb. Even when you’re running, the footage will look smooth and shake-free always.
#6. GoPro HERO9 Black
- 5K Video - Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining...
- 20MP Photo with SuperPhoto - Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And...
- Front Display plus Rear Touch Screen - A new, larger rear touch screen with touch...
Even though we now have a newer model, the GoPro HERO9 Black is still rated amongst the best action cameras around and is superb for self-shooting your hunts. With a similar form factor and mounting-friendly make, the HERO9 can also be mounted on a wide variety of things, just like the HERO10.
The GoPro HERO9 Black can shoot stunning videos with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining detail even when zooming in. When it comes to stills, the action camera can capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. With HyperSmooth 3.0, you can expect incredibly smooth and shake-free footage of your hunts even when you’re on the go.
Best Live-Streaming Camera For Self-Shooting Hunts
#7. Mevo Plus Live Streaming Camera
The Mevo Plus Live Streaming Camera lets you stream all your hunting adventures to the web or any social media, live. The camera features a built-in Wi-Fi that connects to the web through your phone and instantly starts streaming. It’s capable of recording videos at resolutions up to 4K. For live streaming, the limit is set at 1080p HD resolution.
So, if you want to live-stream your hunts on to Facebook or YouTube, then the best way to do it is via the Mevo Plus Live Streaming Camera.
Which Camera Will You Choose?
To make a wise buying decision, firstly think about what type of camera you really need for self-shooting your hunt. Once, you’ve made a decision regarding this, it will be easier for you to choose. If you want a tiny, discreet camera that won’t distract the animals, then buying any GoPro on the list – the GoPro HERO9 or HERO10 – is a great idea.
On the other hand, if you’re looking for a DSLR for professional quality shots, then the Nikon D850 DSLR is your best bet.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn all about the best cameras for self-filming hunts.
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!