GoPro cameras are great for recording your outdoor adventures. But, what if you want to film with your GoPro while surfing, white-water rafting or scuba diving? Well, GoPro has your back there too! Most latest GoPro cameras are waterproof.
However, since a GoPro camera is a costly investment, you should make the necessary arrangement for its protection. Therefore, you may need a waterproof case that protects your camera from deep water and allows it to easily be mounted on gear such as a scuba diving mask or a surfboard. A good waterproof housing case for your GoPro should help keep your camera protected in all weather conditions, while still allowing you easy access to its controls.
In this article you are going to learn about 6 best GoPro Waterproof Cases for different GoPro models.
Does a GoPro Need a Waterproof Case?
Almost all of the recent GoPro models are waterproof without the need of an extra waterproof housing case. But, you can only take most of these cameras down to a certain depth (usually 33ft/10m), beyond which you’d still need a housing case.
Older GoPro models, however, do require a housing for underwater use.
Here’s the list of cameras which are waterproof without a housing case:
- GoPro Hero 9 Black (down to 10m / 33ft)
- GoPro Hero 8 Black (down to 10m / 33ft)
- GoPro Max (down to 5m / 16ft)
- GoPro Hero 7 Black/ Silver/White (down to 10m / 33ft)
- GoPro Fusion (down to 5m / 16ft)
- GoPro Hero 6 Black (down to 10m / 33ft)
- GoPro Hero 5 Black (down to 10m / 33ft)
- GoPro Hero 4 Session (down to 10m / 33ft)
- GoPro Hero 5 Session (down to 10m / 33ft)
If you want to go beyond the given depth with these cameras, such as while scuba diving, you need an additional waterproof housing with it.
The following GoPro cameras are NOT natively waterproof:
- GoPro Hero 4 Black/Silver: These cameras are NOT waterproof without a housing. However, they come with a Standard Housing that can go as deep as up to 40m (131ft).
- GoPro Hero 3 Black/Silver/White (or older): These cameras are NOT waterproof without a housing. But, all the Hero 3 cameras come with a Protective Waterproof Case that can withstand depths of up to 60m (197ft).
Is GoPro waterproof without lens cover?
Yes, most of the latest GoPro models, including GoPro Hero 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9 Black are waterproof (down to 10m / 33ft). So, you don’t need a lens cover with them. However, it is recommended to keep the lens cover attached to protect the camera from bumps or direct physical damage to the camera lens.
6 Best GoPro Waterproof Cases
Here are the six best GoPro waterproof cases which I recommend you use with GoPro:
#1. GoPro Protective Housing (Hero 9 Black)
- Protects your GoPro from mud, dirt and debris during extreme activities
- Front LCD screen remains accessible for viewing
- Waterproof down to 196ft (60m) perfect for deep-water diving
Discover a new world in the depths of your favorite body of water with this GoPro Protective Housing. It fits securely around your Hero 9 Black to protect it from mud, dirt and debris while you’re taking on extreme activities. The front LCD screen remains accessible so that you can view what’s going on even when submerged underwater up to 196ft (60m).
This GoPro official Protective Housing is perfect for deep-sea diving as well! And don’t worry about audio capturing because there’s an easy access skeleton backdoor where sound comes through clearly, thanks to improved acoustics. You’ll also love how clear images are taken above or below the surface due to a flat glass lens which produces high quality pictures no matter if they’re captured undersea or somewhere else entirely!
#2. GoPro Protective Housing (Hero 8 Black)
- Protects your HERO8 Black from mud, dirt and debris during extreme activities
- Waterproof down to 196ft (60m)—perfect for deep-water diving
- Includes a skeleton backdoor for improved audio capture and easy access to the...
This GoPro official Protective Housing is perfect for you if you want to go deeper than 10m underwater with your Hero 8 Black. And, it protects your camera from mud, dirt and debris too.
This rugged housing case lets you dive down as deep as 60 meters underwater! It has been rated best-in-class by several reviewers, noting its toughness in protecting your camera during extreme activities such as deep-sea diving. The included skeleton backdoor helps make sure that audio recording quality doesn’t deteriorate while the touchscreen remains accessible at all times – even when submerged under water.
Also read: Tips for filming underwater with GoPro Hero 8
#3. GoPro Super Suit Housing (Hero 5, 6 & 7 Black)
- Ultimate protection for your HERO7 Black or HERO6 Black or HERO5 Black during extreme...
- Waterproof to 196ft (60m)
- Includes two Waterproof Backdoors which can be used with Floaty
The GoPro Super Suit Housing for Hero 5, 6 & 7 Black is designed to withstand the harshest of environments. It protects the camera’s exterior and lenses during extreme activities whether it’s deep-water diving or top speeds on a dirt bike. With this housing on, you can bring your camera 60 metres underwater without any worries.
The Super Suit is one the most protective GoPro housing for the compatible GoPro cameras yet. It includes two waterproof backdoors, plus a skeleton backdoor that enables touch‐screen access and improved audio capture. The flat glass lens delivers maximum image sharpness above and below water.
Also read: GoPro Waterproof Cases
#4. GoPro Premier Protective Housing (Hero 7 Silver / White)
- Protects your GoPro from mud, dirt and debris during extreme activities
- Waterproof down to 131ft (40m)—perfect for deep-water diving
- Includes a Skeleton Backdoor for easy access to the camera’s touch screen and...
Protect your GoPro while shooting extreme activities with the GoPro Premier Protective Housing! It’s suitable for use with the Hero 7 Silver and White, and features a flat glass lens that delivers sharp, high-quality images above and below water.
Waterproof to 131 feet (40m), it can be used with the skeleton backdoor for access to the camera’s touch screen and improved audio capture. The housing also includes a Floaty Strap (sold separately) to keep your GoPro afloat during water activities.
#5. Yimobra Waterproof Case (Hero 3 & 4)
- HD Scratch Proof Lens & Clear Shooting Under Water: This waterproof housing case is...
- Big Button Size: Easily operate the shutter/ Power button or select key/ Mode button...
- Specially Designed For Gopro Hero 4 Hero 3+: Ideal for diving, surfing, snorkeling,...
If you’re looking for the perfect case to use with your GoPro Hero 3 & 4, look no further than the Yimobra Waterproof Case. Built specifically for protection against harsh environments and designed to be used underwater or outdoors while enjoying any of your favorite adventure sports, it’s a great option that will keep your action camera protected at all times!
This waterproof case is made of high-quality PMMA material, and equipped with scratch proof tempered glass lens to capture clear and vivid footage. It has a lightweight design that’s easy for you to carry around. The big button sizes make it convenient for underwater operation; Power/Mode buttons are also included so there’s no worrying about accidents in this waterproof housing! This product comes at an affordable price (with the extra clip!).
#6: Nechkitter Protective Housing Case (GoPro Hero 4 & 5 Session)
- [High Transmission] The front cover of this housing is made of high quality optical...
- [Deep Waterproof & Anti-rust] With professional waterproof seal and stainless steel...
- [Extra Production] The housing does not only offer greater waterproof protection to...
Perfect for scuba-divers, Nechkitter Protective Housing Case for GoPro 4 & 5 Session cameras allows you to dive into the sea up to 60m (196ft) underwater.
This durable, waterproof Housing Case is perfect to keep your camera safe and dry while you dive deep into the ocean. With its stainless steel production and professional watertight seal, the housing also offers great protection against dust, scratch or shock due to a 98% light transmission rate. It has optical tempered glass on the front cover which means that crystal clear photos are always possible.
So, What Case Should You Buy?
To protect your GoPro from damage of any kind, or for underwater usage, I would always recommend that you use the compatible waterproof housing case from the list above.
- Visit this article to learn how to shoot underwater (for divers and snorkelers).
I hope that this article helps you know all about the 6 best GoPro Waterproof Cases for different GoPro models.
Thanks for reading
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends