Looking for the best camera for action shots?
The best video cameras for action shots are compact, durable, and easy to use. With these cameras, you can shoot high-quality videos and even stills.
While GoPros dominate the market when it comes to action camera space, today you get many alternatives to it from brands like DJI, Insta360, and Akaso.
In this article, you’ll learn what are the 8 best video cameras for action shots.
8 Best Video Cameras for Action Shots
Here are the seven best video cameras for action shots:
Our Top Pick!
GoPro Hero 12 Black
The GoPro Hero 12 is ideal for action shots in sports, travel, and adventurous endeavors due to its superior 5.3K video capability and High Dynamic Range (HDR) that ensures crisp, detailed, and vibrant footage in various lighting conditions. The Emmy Award-Winning HyperSmooth 6.0 stabilization guarantees smooth, shake-free recording in high-motion scenarios, perfect for extreme sports and fast-paced activities.
Its rugged and waterproof design is durable in harsh conditions, allowing versatile use from muddy terrains to underwater explorations. The convenience of extracting 27MP photos from videos using the GoPro Quik app is a bonus for those looking to capture high-quality stills from their exciting exploits. In summary, the Hero 12 combines advanced technology and robustness, making it a prime choice for capturing dynamic action shots.
GoPro Hero 10 Black
- Revolutionary Processor: Faster. Smoother. Better. The powerful new GP2 engine...
- High-Res Photos plus Videos, High Frame Rate: Step up to the sharpest-shooting GoPro...
- Unbelievable Image Quality: Shoot with fine detail, realistic textures and stunning...
Arguably the best video camera for action shots today – the GoPro Hero 10 Black is a superb camera for capturing fast-paced action, sports, and travel footage. Thanks to its powerful GP-2 Processor, the overall performance of the action camera is super fast. What’s more, it also works great in low light.
The GoPro Hero 10 Black has some top-notch photo and video recording specs. It features a 23-megapixel lens, and can shoot up to 5.3K videos at 60 frames per second (FPS); 4K up to 120 FPS; and 2.7K at 240 FPS. With the upgraded Hypersmooth 4.0, you get a super steady video and can also apply stabilization to higher video resolutions, including 5.3K30, 4K60, and 2.7K120.
Best Modular Camera
DJI Action 2
- Snap Into Your Environment - Action 2's innovative magnetic design allows you to...
- Action on the Go - The ultra-compact DJI Action 2 takes up next to no room in your...
- Footage That Speaks for Itself - Record stunningly smooth 4K/120fps  video with...
The DJI Action 2 features a completely redesigned action camera concept by DJI. It has a modular design, which means that you have one main unit (which can perform on its own too). And, in addition, you can attach a battery back or front display module if you need one. The different modules connect using magnets and a clip rather than physical sockets.
The DJI Action 2 has a maximum video resolution of 4K, and can capture stills at up to 12MP resolution. DJI’s Rocksteady image stabilization tech is improved in this camera and is now known as Rocksteady 2.0. The battery life of this camera is also great. You get up to 70 minutes of run time when shooting at 1080p / 30fps. And, with the Power Mod attached, it increases to 180 minutes, which is pretty great!
Latest & Impressive Action Camera from Insta360
Insta360 One R – Twin Edition
- 4K Boost Lens & 5.7K 360 Lens: Get two cameras in one with Insta360 ONE RS. Swap...
- FlowState Stabilization: Buttery smooth image stabilization, no matter what lens you...
- 48MP Photo & 6K Widescreen Mode: With the 4K Boost Lens, capture photos with 4x more...
Featuring an unconventional look, the Insta360 One R – Twin Edition is effectively two cameras in one (as the name suggests). This highly innovative action camera features two swappable lens modules – one is a 360-degree camera, the other is a 4K/60fps action camera. In addition, the camera has multiple AI-powered shooting modes that offer real flexibility while you’re out in the field.
This Insta360 One R has built-in image stabilization known as FlowState. It offers gimbal-like stabilization so your footage stays clear and steady even in low light.
A Great Camera with 5K
GoPro Hero 9 Black
- 5K VIDEO: Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining...
- 20 MP PHOTO WITH SUPERPHOTO: Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And...
- FRONT DISPLAY + REAR TOUCH SCREEN: A new, larger rear touch screen with touch zoom on...
Even though it has been a while since it was launched, the GoPro Hero 9 Black is still a pretty solid choice. With 5K capability, it is one of the most advanced action cameras around. When it comes to still shots, Hero 9 features a 20-MP sensor for crisp and clear images. The camera features a front color display screen, which is great for vloggers as you can see yourself while shooting.
The GoPro Hero 9 Black has an upgraded version of Hypersmooth image stabilization – Hypersmooth 3.0 – which ensures that you’ll always get super smooth footage with little to no jitter whatsoever. The 1,720mAh battery ensures that you get around an hour and a half of video recording in 4K resolution. However, that would vary depending upon several factors, like frame rate, shooting mode, etc.
DJI Osmo Action
- 4K HDR Video, 1 Billion Colors - HDR video delivers vivid yet natural details, even...
- Smooth, Level, Incredible - Whether you're skiing, skydiving, or biking around on...
- Built to Endure - With a 160-min max battery life, and even 150 minutes of continuous...
The DJI Osmo Action is another great video camera for action shots. It is solid and rugged. With dual screens – one each at the front and the back – you can frame yourself effortlessly. This makes the camera perfect for vlogging & selfies. With RockSteady stabilization, you get buttery stable, and shake-free footage no matter how heavy the action is!
The DJI Osmo Action features a 12-MP sensor that lets you shoot 4K HDR videos. At 1080p resolution, you can capture some amazing slow-motion shots (up to 8x slomo).
Good For Beginners – Budget Option
Akaso V50 Pro
- SUPERB IMAGE QUALITY: Featuring 4K/30fps and 20MP image, your AKASO V50 Pro action...
- ELECTRONIC IMAGE STABILIZATION: Built-in Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) with...
- OPTIONAL VIEW ANGLE: You can adjust the view angle of this action camera according to...
Although it comes at a budget price, the Akaso V50 Pro features some impressive specs, including the ability to shoot videos at 4K/30FPS, 1080p/60FPS, and stills at up to 20-MP resolution. With built-in electronic image stabilization (EIS), you get ultra smooth and shake-free footage of your action.
The Akaso V50 Pro also comes with an external waterproof housing in the package, which protects the camera down to 98 feet underwater. What’s more, you get a box full of accessories with the camera!
Old, But Still Has Solid Specs (4K, Hypersmooth)
GoPro Hero 8 Black
- HyperSmooth 2.0: HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization: On, High and Boost....
- Streamlined Design: The re-imagined shape is more pocketable, and folding fingers at...
- Expandable Mods: Vloggers, pro filmmakers and aspiring creators can do more than ever...
Although it was launched back in 2019, the GoPro Hero 8 Black’s specs are great, even by today’s standard. It can shoot stabilized 4K footage at 60fps and stills at 12-MP resolution. With an upgraded version of GoPro’s trademark Hypersmooth image stabilization – Hypersmooth 2.0 – the camera makes sure that all your fast-paced action shots look appealing to the eye.
So, if you really want a GoPro-brand action camera, but don’t want to spend too much, the GoPro Hero 8 Black is a great choice. The only major drawback is the lack of a front display.
For those looking to capture high-quality action shots of sports events, we recommend checking out our article on 7 Best Cameras for Recording Sports Videos, which provides detailed reviews and comparisons of top-rated cameras for sports recording, including those with features such as fast autofocus, high frame rates, and image stabilization that are essential for capturing fast-paced action.
What is Best Camera for Action Shots?
So, these were some of the best cameras to shoot top-notch action footage. As I’ve already mentioned above, my favorite camera in this segment is the GoPro Hero 12 Black. Some of the reasons behind my choice include the fact that it is super fast, can shoot 5K footage, has HyperSmooth image stabilization tech which is best-in-segment.
Other than that, if you’re on a budget, then you can also buy Akaso V50 Pro which comes for only about a hundred bucks. Of course, you won’t get the performance like Hero 10 with this one, but with 4K capability and built-in electronic image stabilization (EIS), it’s worth every penny you’ll spend on it.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this post helped you learn about some of the best video cameras for action shots 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!
- 10 Best Cameras Under $300 for Photo/Video (Beginner’s Guide)
- 7 Osmo Action Accessories for You Need
- 5 Affordable Action Camera Body Mounts for Epic POV Shots
- DJI Osmo Action vs GoPro HERO 8: Full Comparison & Review
- Top 8 Best Action Camera Microphone Attachment
- 10 Best Cameras to Record Baseball Games in (All budgets)