Are you looking for a GoPro waterproof guide?
You’re in the right place!
In this article, you are going to learn about GoPro’s waterproof specs, tips for using your GoPro underwater and the top GoPro underwater accessories/mounts for capturing your adventures with ease!
Which GoPro Cameras are Waterproof?
Listed below are the waterproof specs of different GoPro models:
Are the GoPro Hero 12, 11, 10 and 9 waterproof?
Yes, all the latest GoPro model are waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without a housing. But, with the GoPro Protective Housing they can go down to 196ft (60m) — perfect for deep-water diving.
Is the GoPro Max waterproof?
The GoPro Max is waterproof down to 5m (16ft) without a housing. GoPro doesn’t make a waterproof housing for this model. However, you can use a third-party housing – VGSION Underwater Housing for the GoPro Max camera to take it down to 40 metres underwater. More details about this housing are available in the next section.
Is the GoPro Hero 8 waterproof?
The GoPro Hero 8 Black is waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without a housing. However, the users can use the GoPro Protective Housing for Hero 8 to take it down to 60m (196ft).
Is the GoPro Hero 7 waterproof?
Like most other cameras on this list, the GoPro Hero 7 Black/Silver/White cameras are waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without a housing. The Hero 7 Black users can use the GoPro Super Suit housing to dive deeper with your camera down to 60m (196ft). The Hero 7 Silver/White users can use the GoPro Protective Housing to use their camera down to the depth of 40m (131ft).
Is the GoPro Hero 6 waterproof?
The GoPro Hero 6 Black is waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without a housing. Like the Hero 7 Black, the users can use the GoPro Super Suit housing with the Hero 6 Black too, in order to dive deeper with your camera down to 60m (196ft).
Is the GoPro Hero 5 waterproof?
The GoPro Hero 5 Black is waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without a housing. You can use the GoPro Super Suit housing to dive deeper with your camera down to 60m (196ft).
Is the GoPro Hero Session waterproof?
GoPro Hero Session cameras are waterproof down to 10m (33ft) without a housing. However, you can add a third-party dive housing and the Session becomes waterproof down to 196 ft (60 m).
Is the GoPro Hero 4 waterproof?
The Hero 4 Black & Silver are NOT waterproof without a housing. However, these cameras come with a Standard Housing that can go as deep as up to 40m (131ft).
Is the GoPro Hero 3 waterproof?
The Hero 3 Black/Silver/White – all three of these cameras are NOT waterproof without a housing. But, they come with a Protective Waterproof Case that can withstand depths of up to 60m (197ft).
5 Must-Have GoPro Underwater Accessories
Listed below are the five must-have underwater accessories that you should have with your GoPro for capturing memorable water adventures.
For Scuba Diving
For shooting your scuba diving action, ALL GoPros require a waterproof housing because you need to go deeper than the maximum 10 metre limit (that comes with the latest GoPro models) while diving.
- TELESIN Waterproof Case with 3-Pack Dive Filter (Hero 12, 11, 10, 9)
- 【Professional Design】(Note: the 3-pack dive filter can only fit with TELESIN...
- 【60m/196ft Waterproof 】With upgraded waterproof sealing ring and tight buckle...
- 【Includes 3-Pack Dive Filters】 TELESIN waterproof kit comes with 3-pack dive...
Featuring an enhanced waterproof seal and tight buckle, this TELESIN kit lets you record underwater with your GoPro up to 60 meters without leakage concerns. It includes three dive filters for optimal color correction between 5-25 meters and boasts a high-transmission tempered glass lens for clear photos and videos. Made from durable PMMA plastic, the case offers robust protection against impacts and scratches. The kit also comes with a quick-release buckle mount for easy attachment to various accessories.
More waterproof cases for Hero 12: GoPro Hero 12: Best Waterproof Case for Snorkeling and Diving
- GoPro Protective Housing (HERO 8 Black) – Official GoPro Accessory
- Protects your HERO8 Black from mud, dirt and debris during extreme activities
- Waterproof down to 196ft (60m)—perfect for deep-water diving
- Includes a skeleton backdoor for improved audio capture and easy access to the...
This GoPro official waterproof housing for Hero 8 is perfect for deep-water diving. The underwater case protects your Hero 8 Black from dirt, debris and mud while you’re underwater. Designed with skeleton doors, this protective piece of equipment also includes improved audio capture so be sure to make some beautiful memories under the sea without worrying about sound quality.
Similar waterproof housings are also available for other latest GoPro models, including Hero 9, Hero 7, Hero 6 and Hero 5.
For Snorkelling (Hero 4 and older)
You need a waterproof housing for snorkelling only if you have GoPro model that launched before Hero 5. The GoPro Hero 5 and all the models that came afterwards are waterproof down to 10m/33ft (beyond which nobody usually goes while snorkelling).
- Waterproof depth: Use this Black waterproof housing you can take your gopro hero...
- TWO BACK COVER: Waterproof back cover and Touch back cover for your use, when you use...
- Compatible with Gopro HERO4/HERO3+/HERO3, When you insert your camera, you can also...
Compatible with the GoPro Hero 4, 3+, and 3 cameras, the Suptig Waterproof Housing lets you easily operate your shutter button or select key/mode buttons on the camera – all this while it’s underwater up to 45 meters deep! You won’t have any worries about dust getting in or scratches happening due to how much protection it provides against those things. It also offers extra protection from shocks as well which makes sure everything stays safe even when diving into some of deepest parts of our oceans! The tough glass protecting the lens will let light through at 98%, which means you’ll be able use all functions just as if they were above water—without having any noticeable change in quality for pictures taken under-water.
A floating Stick/Pole/Grip is a very useful GoPro accessory when filming underwater. It helps you have a better overall control of the camera underwater and prevents your camera from sinking.
- Keeps your GoPro afloat better than ever before so you can shoot in and around the...
- Easy to switch between mounts with a quick release base
- Makes it easy to aim your camera and capture a bunch of different angles
The GoPro Handler Floating Hand Grip helps you shoot worry-free in and around the water with its bright orange cap piece that makes it easy-to-spot if dropped. The comfortable, non-slip construction lets you maintain a secure grip while holding your camera!
Dome Port Housing (Hero 12, 11, 10, 9)
A Dome Port Housing is an amazing gear that lets you shoot amazing split-photos and videos half above water & half underwater.
- 【DESIGNED FOR GOPRO HERO 12/11/10/9 Black】TELESIN 6'' Dome Port is Specially...
- 【PROVIDE EXCELLENT ABOVE/BELOW WATER SHOOTING】Moving the waterline away from the...
- 【HIGH QUALITY PARTS】Made of quality PC+Acrylic, high transparent material to...
Compatible with the newest GoPro models, the Telesin Dome Port is a well-designed Dome Post Housing for capturing vivid 50/50 above and below the water photos/videos by the sea or by the pool. It’s waterproof down to 45m/147ft.
There are many other dome port housings available for GoPro models other than the Hero 8 Black.
Red Filter Diving Lens
You can use Red Filters to enhance the picture quality of your dive. The three kinds are – Light Red, Magenta and Red Filter for different depths in water. Light Red filter is useful for color correction at shallow depths, Magenta filter for correcting green water and Red filter to correct the blues.
I recommend that you use a multi-filter pack, so that you can easily change filters as you change depths. Here’s the one that I recommend:
SOONSUN 4-Pack Dive Filter ( Hero 12, 11, 10, 9)
- Compatibility: This 4-pack lens filters are specifically engineered for official...
- Dive Filters: The dive filters offer color correction and helps capture vibrant...
- 5x Close-up Macro Filter: The 5x close-up macro filter is used to magnify scenery,...
Waterproof LED Lights
Night-time diving is a pretty exciting experience, but it can be hard to see and record things in the deep dark waters. Luckily for the sea-life enthusiasts, there are waterproof LED lights that help light up what we would otherwise miss!
- Widely used: Perfect compatibility with Gopro Hero 12/11/10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1 and Dji...
- GREAT DIVING LIGHTS Take amazing POV underwater video with this Suptig light for...
- WIDE-ANGLE 500Lumen Max. (5500K-6000K) by 36 LEDs.This is THE underwater light to buy...
Compatible with all GoPro cameras, the Suptig Waterproof LED Light is the perfect addition to any adventurer’s gear. With three modes and a capacity of going down to 45m/147 ft underwater, it has everything you need for your next deep-sea dive.
The amount of light can be adjusted between HI (500 lumens), LOW (200 lumens) and SOS mode which flashes brightly in dark to help you in case you get lost!
How To Shoot Underwater?
It is not enough to just go underwater with your GoPro and start filming. To capture the best shots and videos, just follow a few key rules for shooting quality under water videos:
- Keep the camera steady by using a floating stick while snorkelling or a camera rig when scuba diving; this will help avoid vibrations that produce shaky images.
- The sun should always be behind you so as not to cast shadows on people’s faces from its glare.
- Underwater, record long sequences of video instead of many takes so you can focus on your dive instead of thinking about the camera.
Thanks for reading
I hope that this tutorial helps you gain knowledge regarding the waterproof specs of different GoPro models & about the accessories to use with the GoPro underwater.
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends