Are you a proud owner of a GoPro camera but not quite sure which model you have? Whether you’ve recently purchased a used camera or simply forgot which version you own, it’s important to know the exact model of your GoPro. Different models have different features, capabilities, and accessories, so it’s important to know which one you have to get the most out of your camera.
In this article, you will learn how to identify your GoPro model using a few easy methods.
Read on to know more.
GoPro launched its first model in 2004 and the latest release GoPro HERO 12 Black in September 2023 have created a buzz in the market. You can check out the comparison among a few top GoPro models, right here.
GoPro cameras are small, durable, versatile, and designed to capture action-packed footage. They have become popular among adventurers, athletes, and content creators, and are often used for skiing, surfing, and skydiving activities. These cameras are known for their rugged build quality, waterproof designs, and high-quality video and photo capabilities. They are typically small and lightweight, making them easy to carry and mount on a variety of surfaces.
Note that all the newest GoPro models, starting from Hero 4 have a stunning option of Voice control, so you can activate your camera, change modes without physically touching the buttons. Read more: 12+ Voice Commands to Control your GoPro (+ Secret Commands).
GoPro offers a range of models with different features and capabilities to suit different needs and budgets. In addition to the cameras, GoPro also offers a wide range of accessories, including mounts, cases, and batteries, to help users get the most out of their cameras. Overall, GoPro cameras have become essential for capturing and sharing exciting experiences and adventures.
Methods to Identify Your GoPro Model
There are several ways to identify which GoPro model you own including checking the camera body, settings, packaging, and manual, and using GoPro’s website or a third-party website. By the end of this post, you’ll clearly understand which GoPro model you own and be ready to take full advantage of all its features.
#1. Check the camera body
One of the easiest ways to identify a GoPro camera model is to check the camera body. The model number is usually printed on the front or side of the camera body. Follow the below steps.
- Turn off the camera: Make sure the camera is turned off before you begin.
- Locate the model number: Look for the model number on the front or side of the camera body. The model number is usually a combination of letters and numbers and may include a word like “HERO” or “MAX”.
- Note the model number: Once you have located the model number, write it down or take a picture of it for future reference.
- Compare the model number: Compare the model number with the list of GoPro models to determine which model you have.
Please note that some GoPro models may have a sticker or label with the model number on the bottom of the camera or inside the battery compartment. Additionally, some models may have slightly different body design or colors, so it’s a good idea to compare the camera body with pictures of different GoPro models to confirm which one you have.
#2. Check the camera settings
Another way to identify a GoPro camera model is to check the camera settings. Different models have different settings menus and options, so you can use the settings to help identify the model. Below mentioned steps will help you to check the camera settings:
- Turn on the camera: Make sure the camera is turned on and ready to use.
- Access the settings: Navigate to the settings menu on the camera. The location of the settings menu may vary depending on the model, but it is typically accessed by pressing the settings button or swiping down from the top of the screen.
- Check for Model Number: The model number should be listed under the “About” or “Information” section.
- Check the options: Look through the settings options and menus to see if there are any features or options that are specific to certain models. For example, newer models may have options for live streaming, while older models may not.
- Note any unique features: Make a note of any features or options that are unique to your camera, as these can help you identify the model.
- Compare with GoPro models: Compare the features and options in the settings menu with the list of GoPro models to determine which model you have.
Some models may have different firmware versions that affect the available settings options, so it’s a good idea to check the firmware version and update the camera if necessary.
Remember that all the newest GoPro models have amazing Protune settings that will increase dramatically your footage quality:
#3. Check the camera packaging
If you still have the original packaging for your camera, the model number should be printed on the box. Checking the camera packaging is another simple way to identify your camera model. The packaging for each model typically includes the model number, product name, and other information that can help identify the camera. Here are the steps to check the camera packaging:
- Locate the packaging: Find the original packaging for your GoPro camera. If you don’t have the original packaging, you can try searching for images of the packaging online to compare with your camera.
- Look for the model number: Check the packaging for the model number, which is usually printed on the front or back of the box. The model number may be a combination of letters and numbers, and may include a word like “HERO” or “MAX”.
- Note the product name: The product name is another piece of information that can help identify the camera. It is usually printed on the front or top of the box and includes the model name, such as “GoPro HERO 12 Black”.
- Check other information: The packaging may also include other information that can help identify the camera, such as the release date, resolution, or specific features of the camera.
#4. Check the camera manual
If you have the manual that came with your camera, the model number should be listed on the cover or title page. The manual typically includes information about the camera model, as well as specifications and features that can help identify the camera. It’s important to note that not all cameras come with a manual, especially older or discontinued models. However, if you do have the manual, checking it can be a reliable way to identify your GoPro camera model.
#5. Use GoPro’s website
Using the GoPro website is another way to identify a GoPro camera model. The GoPro website has a support section where you can find information about different camera models, as well as software updates and other resources. Follow the below steps to use the GoPro website to identify your camera model:
- Go to the GoPro website: Open your web browser and go to the official GoPro website at www.gopro.com.
- Navigate to the support section: Click on the “Support” link in the top menu to access the support section of the website.
- Select your camera model: In the support section, click on the “Product Updates” or “Product Manuals” link and select your camera model from the list of available models. You can also use the search function to find your camera model.
- Check the product information: Once you have selected your camera model, you should see product information, specifications, and features listed for that model. Review this information to help identify your camera.
- Compare with your camera: Compare the product information, specifications, and features listed on the website with your camera to determine which model you have.
#6. Use a third-party website
Several websites offer information about GoPro cameras, including product specifications, features, and release dates. Here are the steps to use a third-party website to identify your camera model:
- Find a reliable third-party website: Use a search engine to find a reliable third-party website that offers information about GoPro cameras. Look for websites that are well-known and have a good reputation for providing accurate information.
- Search for your camera model: Once you have found a third-party website, use the search function to look for your camera model. You can also browse through the list of available cameras to find your model.
You can then review the product information, specifications, and features listed on the website. This information can help you identify your camera.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Identify Your GoPro Model Now?
Whether you’re a seasoned adventurer or a newbie to the GoPro world, knowing your camera model is important for finding the right accessories, getting software updates, and troubleshooting issues. So, whether you’re hitting the slopes or diving into the ocean, take a moment to check your camera model and make sure you’re ready to capture all your epic moments.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn all you need about identifying your GoPro camera model. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!
- Best Memory Cards for (ANY) GoPro HERO cameras
- 7 BEST GoPro for Skiing + Accessories
- 7 Must Have GoPro Underwater Accessories
- 6 BEST GoPro for Diving + Accessories
- GoPro Gimbal: 5 Reasons Why You Need a Gimbal for GoPro
- Compare GoPro Models: Hero8 vs Hero9 vs Hero10