With the advancement in technology, the world has become smaller. Be it communicating with relatives across the world or attending important work meetings at home, everything is possible with a few clicks now. GoPro action cameras are now well known in the market as one and all and adding the increasing mountain of amazing features, GoPro released a utility that lets you turn your GoPro into a webcam offering high-resolution picture quality and premium voice quality.
In this article, you will get to know all about the GoPro Webcam App.
Let’s dig deeper to know more.
In short, if you do not like your laptop camera and wish to use another camera offering refined audio/video quality then, this GoPro App helps you turn your cam into a webcam to connect to video calls and conferences or capture whatever else you might want to record.
What is the GoPro Webcam App?
GoPro Webcam is an application for Windows that lets you use your latest GoPro models including HERO 12 Black, HERO 11 Black, HERO 10 Black, HERO 9 Black, or HERO 8 Black as a webcam. Whether you are attending a video conference or a video call, the GoPro readily turns into a high-quality webcam to serve the purpose well.
The only things that are required are as follows :
- GoPro Hero 12 Black, Hero 11 Black, Hero 10 Black, Hero 9 Black, or Hero 8 Black
- MicroSD card, microSD card reader
- USB 3.0 cable
- Mac/Windows laptop or desktop
Along with offering an easy setup for excellent video quality, another perk is that you can modify the image’s resolution. It is beneficial in a way that suits your Internet connection, you can put a limit on the data that is consumed for uninterrupted sessions. You can use the app for live streaming, delivering online classes or professional videos, and much more.
Steps To Use GoPro Webcam App
The GoPro Webcam App is a high-end application that lets you capture video feeds from the camera of your laptop/desktop. It also allows you to record or stream videos on the internet. Below mentioned are the steps to use GoPro Webcam App.
Step 1: Update your camera to the latest firmware
The only compatible GoPro models with the Webcam App are HERO 12 Black, HERO 11 Black, HERO 10 Black, HERO 9 Black, or HERO 8 Black. You can update your camera via GoPro Quik or manually. In the newest GoPro model that is Hero 11, an issue has been observed. After the firmware update, when you try to plug the camera into your computer, the camera might not show. Till a permanent solution is found, a workaround to resolve this issue is resetting the connection ( Dashboard -> Connections -> Reset Connections -> Reset ).
Step 2: Install and launch the GoPro Webcam App
For some, the GoPro Webcam Desktop Utility needs to be downloaded. Once done, install the software on your computer. The supported versions for this are Windows 10/11.
Step 3: Connect your camera
Lastly, power on your camera and using a USB cable, connect it to your computer. The camera will go into USB mode.
Step 4: Preview Webcam
It is very easy to check your Webcam setup and know the settings example the Field of View before going live. All you need to do is, right-click on the GoPro icon in the status bar and select Show Preview. In case you wish to change your FOV once the camera is connected and broadcasting, follow the below steps.
- Tap on the GoPro camera options to list options.
- Hover over [Lens Mode] and your Lens options will show.
- Select the desired option example, SuperView/Wide/Linear/Narrow.
- The change reflects within a few moments.
P.S. Please make sure that the GoPro must be in an upright, horizontal position and Wireless connections are not supported for the webcam function. A USB cable is required for the same.
Here are some popular tools that support GoPro Webcam
- Zoom – App/Chrome
- Webex – App/Chrome
- Slack – App/Chrome
- Google Meet
- Microsoft Teams – App/Chrome
- Skype – App/Chrome
- GoTo Meeting
- Facebook Rooms – App
- Discord – App/Chrome
How To Use The Webcam App In Any Of The Above Mentioned Programs?
For example in Zoom :
- After opening your Webcam application, Select GoPro camera.
- The camera will then go into GoPro Webcam mode.
- Check the status bar to ensure that the camera is recording ( indicated via a red dot ).
How Do I Use My GoPro As a Webcam With OBS?
To use your GoPro as a webcam with OBS (Open Broadcaster Software), follow these steps:
- Connect your GoPro camera to your computer using a USB cable.
- Turn on your GoPro camera and set it to “USB mode” or “Webcam mode.”
- Download and install the GoPro Webcam Beta utility software from the GoPro website.
- Once installed, launch OBS on your computer.
- Click on the “+” icon in the Sources box and select “Video Capture Device.”
- In the pop-up window, enter a name for your GoPro webcam and select “GoPro” as the video device.
- In the “Video Settings” section, select “Custom” and set the resolution to “1920×1080.”
- In the “Audio Settings” section, select “GoPro” as the audio device.
- Click “OK” to save your settings.
- Your GoPro camera should now be visible as a video source in OBS. You can resize and reposition the video feed as needed.
Keep in mind that the GoPro Webcam Desktop Utility is required to use your GoPro camera as a webcam with OBS, and the video quality may vary based on your computer’s processing power and internet connection.
Read the following article to learn more: GoPro to OBS: How to Use GoPro As Webcam OBS.
Can You Use GoPro as Webcam Without App?
Yes, you can use your GoPro as a webcam without the GoPro app, but you will need additional equipment and software. To do this, you will need a video capture card or an HDMI-to-USB converter, which will allow you to connect your GoPro to your computer via HDMI.
Once you have connected your GoPro to your computer, you can use software such as OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) or XSplit to access the video feed and use your GoPro as a webcam. These software programs will allow you to adjust settings such as resolution and frame rate, and you can use your GoPro for video conferencing, live streaming, or recording.
Note that using your GoPro as a webcam without the GoPro app may require some technical expertise, and the video quality may vary based on your computer’s processing power and internet connection.
Are You Ready To Use GoPro Webcam App?
If you are looking for an additional webcam to enhance the overall video quality during work calls or generally then, GoPro action cameras are a perfect solution. GoPro is known for its supreme quality and performance and with this newly introduced utility, you can easily turn your cam into a webcam following a few simple steps. GoPro Webcam App is a highly recommended choice, especially for all professionals.
In case your camera is not being recognized, simple troubleshooting might help you fix it.
- Try unplugging your camera from the computer
- Go to [Preferences] > [Connections] > [USB Connection] and re-check settings.
- Select [MTP] if you want to use file transfer, Select [GoPro Connect] to use GoPro Webcam.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you figure out all the details about the GoPro Webcam App. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!