GoPro lets you have the ultimate webcam experience! Not only that; with the webcam mode, you can even use your GoPro to stream live or record via OBS Studio.
This is especially helpful if you have an old GoPro lying around, and you’re wondering how you can put it to some productive use.
In this tutorial, you’ll learn the whole step-by-step process of setting your GoPro up as a webcam and broadcasting live through OBS software.
Essential Gear to Setup GoPro as Webcam
Firstly, let’s go through the GoPro models that support the GoPro Webcam mode.
Compatible GoPros With Webcam Mode
- Hero 12 Black
- Hero 11 Black
- Hero 10 Black
- Hero 9 Black
- Hero 8 Black
- Hero 7 Black
- Hero 6 Black
- Hero 5 Black
- Hero 4 Black
So, if you have one of these models, you can set up your GoPro as a webcam. But you also need some additional gear.
If you’re looking to use the recent GoPro models — including GoPro Hero 12 Black, GoPro Hero 11 Black, GoPro Hero 10 Black, GoPro Hero 9 Black and GoPro Hero 8 Black – as a webcam — you need the following additional gears (apart from the GoPro itself, obviously!):
- A USB-C cable (the one that came with your GoPro would also do)
- Your computer
- A tripod for your GoPro
If you want to use as a webcam a GoPro model that precedes Hero 8 Black — Hero 7 Black, Hero 6 Black, Hero 5 Black, or Hero 4 Black — here are the gears you’ll require:
- HDMI-to-Micro HDMI Cable
- HDMI-to-USB video converter
- USB charging Cable
- Your computer
- A GoPro mounting option
Steps to Use GoPro As Webcam
For GoPro Hero 12, 11, 10, 9 & 8 Black
Here’s how you set up these GoPro models as a Webcam:
Collect the Gear & Update the GoPro firmware
Make sure that you have all the required gear: A USB-C cable, your computer, and tripod for your GoPro. Also, ensure that the firmware of your camera is up to date.
Recommended USB-C cable
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 80 million+ powered by our leading technology.
- Reliable Charging: USB-IF compliant for safe, reliable charging for virtually any...
- Built to Last: Proven in strict laboratory tests to withstand up to 10,000 bends.
This cable is designed for durability. Its double-braided nylon exterior is resistant to damage from bending, twisting, and tangling, making it a good choice for use with a GoPro camera that might see some wear and tear. In terms of performance, the Anker Powerline+ is rated for fast charging and data transfer speeds. It supports up to 3A charging, which can help your GoPro recharge quickly, and data transfer speeds of up to 480Mbps, which can help you quickly transfer photos and videos from your camera to your computer or other devices.
Recommended Tripod for GoPro
- Easy to use flexible tripod for action video cameras like GoPro HERO6 Black, GoPro...
- Quick Set-ups: Comes with two quick-release clips–Mount for GoPro and the standard...
- Precise control with integrated ballhead Quickly orient your action camera with 90°...
The JOBY GorillaPod Action Tripod is designed specifically for action cameras like GoPro, and features flexible legs that can be bent and twisted into a variety of positions to help you get the perfect shot. The tripod also comes with a built-in ballhead for smooth panning and tilting. It is lightweight and compact, making it easy to carry with you wherever you go. Overall, the JOBY GorillaPod Action Tripod is a great option if you’re looking for a versatile and flexible tripod for your GoPro.
How to Update GoPro Firmware
Here are the steps to update the firmware:
- Go to the GoPro website and download the latest firmware update for your camera model.
- Save the firmware update to your computer.
- Insert the microSD card into your computer and copy the firmware update file to the card.
- Eject the microSD card from your computer and insert it into your GoPro camera.
- Turn on your GoPro camera and wait for it to recognize the firmware update on the microSD card. Follow the on-screen prompts to start the update.
- Once the update is complete, the camera will automatically restart.
- Remove the microSD card from your camera and delete the firmware update file.
That’s it! Your GoPro camera should now be updated with the latest firmware.
Attach GoPro to a Mount
If you want to have a standard webcam view, you can use a Magnetic Swivel Clip Mount to attach the GoPro to your monitor or mount the GoPro to a Shorty tripod on your desk.
Alternatively, you can also get creative! Use the Jaws Flex Clamp to provide an over-the-shoulder view. It’s especially helpful if you would like to capture your screen. Other than that, a Suction Cup Mount can help you provide a webcam POV like no other, by sticking firmly to a surface like a window or shelving unit.
GoPro Magnetic Swivel Clip
- Easily clip your GoPro to backpack strap, furniture and more to capture unique...
- Built-in magnet sticks to metal objects-like appliances or gym equipment-to give you...
- 360 swivel lets you turn the camera to frame the perfect shot
The GoPro Magnetic Swivel Clip Mount is a convenient mounting option for GoPro cameras. This mount features a strong magnet that allows you to attach your camera to a variety of metal surfaces, such as car doors or metal poles. The swivel clip design also allows you to easily adjust the angle of your camera to get the perfect shot. The clip can be rotated 360 degrees and tilted up to 45 degrees in any direction, giving you a lot of flexibility in terms of positioning your camera.
Suptig Jaws Flex Clamp Mount
- Compatible with Gopro Hero 12, Hero 11, Hero 10, Hero 9, Hero8, Hero7, Hero6, Hero5,...
- Adjustable Gooseneck：Adjustable gooseneck easy to adjust your camera angle, Make...
- High quality: Made of special materials to make the product stronger and more durable
The Suptig Jaws Flex Clamp Mount is a versatile mounting option for GoPro cameras that allows you to attach your camera to a wide range of surfaces. The mount features a flexible arm that can be bent and twisted into a variety of positions, allowing you to adjust the angle and position of your camera to get the perfect shot.
GoPro Suction Cup
- Attach your GoPro to cars, boats, motorcycles and more
- Industrial strength suction cup proven at speeds of 150+ mph
- Engineered to provide a broad range of motion and stability
The GoPro Suction Cup is a durable mounting option for GoPro cameras that allows you to attach your camera to smooth surfaces like car windshields, boats, and motorcycle tanks. The suction cup uses industrial-strength suction to securely attach to any smooth surface, giving you a stable and secure mount for your camera.
Install and Launch the GoPro Webcam Desktop Utility
Download the GoPro Webcam desktop utility software to your computer. It’s available here. Now, install the software. After the installation is complete, launch it. A GoPro icon will now appear in your status bar.
Connect Your GoPro to the Computer
Now, connect your GoPro to your computer via the USB-C cable. The GoPro icon in the status bar will show a blue dot to indicate a successful connection once your GoPro is connected and powered on. The camera will automatically default to Webcam Mode.
Preview & Adjust the Webcam
After you’ve successfully connected your GoPro to your computer, you can preview your GoPro webcam by clicking the GoPro icon and selecting ‘Show Preview’ in the dropdown. You’ll also get the option to ‘Mirror’ or ‘Flip’ the view. The default resolution provided by the GoPro Webcam desktop utility is 1080p/30fps. However, you get the option to lower it down to 720p/30fps. You can also set the FOV and choose one of these – Wide, Narrow, or Linear.
That’s it! You are now ready to use your GoPro Webcam. To know how to live stream via OBS, jump to the next section ‘GoPro Webcam via OBS: How to Setup for Live Broadcast’.
For GoPro Hero 7, 6, 5 & 4 Black
If you want to use as a webcam a GoPro model that precedes Hero 8 Black — Hero 7 Black, Hero 6 Black, Hero 5 Black, or Hero 4 Black — here are the steps to set your camera up as a webcam:
Collect the Gear
Make sure that you have all the required gear, including HDMI-to-Micro HDMI Cable, HDMI-to-USB video converter, USB charging Cable, and a GoPro mounting option.
UGREEN Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable
- 4K Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable: UGREEN micro HDMI cable supports 4K, 2K, 1080P Full HD...
- Bi-Directional: This micro cable supports HDMI Micro to HDMI & HDMI to Micro HDMI. It...
- Textured and High-quality Materials: Featuring gold-plated connectors, copper...
This cable is specifically designed for GoPro cameras and features a Micro HDMI connector on one end and a standard HDMI connector on the other. The UGREEN Micro HDMI to HDMI Cable is rated for 4K video resolution and supports high-speed data transfer, which means that you can stream high-quality video from your GoPro camera to your TV or other HDMI-enabled device without any lag or loss of quality.
Elgato Cam Link 4K HDMI-to-USB Video Converter
- Professional Webcam: easily connect your DSLR; camcorder or action cam to your PC or...
- Stunning Quality: broadcast live or record in 1080p60 or even up to 4K at 30 fps.
- Ultra-Low Latency Technology: go live on any platform in no time.
The Elgato Cam Link 4K allows you to connect your GoPro camera to your computer via USB and stream high-quality video directly to your computer. The device is capable of capturing 4K resolution video at 30 frames per second or 1080p resolution video at 60 frames per second, making it a great choice for anyone looking to stream high-quality footage from their GoPro camera. The device is also compatible with a wide range of software, including OBS Studio, Streamlabs, and XSplit, which makes it easy to use with your preferred streaming software.
Set up the Camera
- Turn your GoPro camera ON
- Swipe down and select ‘Preferences’
- Now, Scroll down and select ‘Input/Output’
- Select ‘HDMI Output’ and change to ‘Live’
Set up the Hardware
- Mount your GoPro (as described above)
- Open GoPro side door and insert micro-HDMI into the port
- Plug HDMI side into the video capture device
- Attach HDMI-to-USB converter and insert into your computer
- Connect GoPro to a power source
Please note that for these GoPro models, you need to set up your camera via video conferencing software or OBS to start using it as a webcam.
How to Setup for Live Broadcast
Here are the steps to set up GoPro Webcam for live broadcast via OBS Studio:
- Open OBS Studio and click the ‘+’ in the video source menu
- Select Video Capture Device
- Create ‘New’ and name your video source
- Select your hardware in the dropdown menu then click ‘OK’
- The GoPro-turned-webcam will now show up on the display
- Start recording or live streaming on the platform of your choice, like YouTube, Facebook, or Twitch
Kindly note that GoPro streams up to 1080p/60fps via an HDMI output, but most streaming services max out at 1080p/30fpa. So, to ensure high quality and a crisp stream, make sure you have good lighting.
Tips Regarding Cord-Free Live Streaming
You must have noticed that all the methods described above involve setting up wires and other gear to use your GoPro as a webcam to live stream. But, you’d be pleased to know that with the latest GoPro cameras, you can reach viewers via live streaming from a cord-free perspective! Yes, the GoPro Hero 9 Black, Hero 8 Black, Hero 7 Black and Max cameras have the ability to live stream direct (from the camera) to:
- GoPro.com (with GoPro subscription)
- Facebook profiles
- Facebook pages
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn the process of setting your GoPro up as a webcam and broadcasting live through OBS software 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!