Are wondering what’s the best way of filming your SUP adventures with your GoPro? If so, then you’re definitely in the right place! There are many ways to mount your GoPro for amazing shots while you’re paddle boarding. You may attach the camera directly to the nose of your board, or you can also take POV shots by mounting it to your helmet, chest or wrist.
So, let’s explore some of the best ways to mount your GoPro when you are out on your SUP. We’ll also discuss the 7 Best GoPro Paddle Board Mounts and some useful tips to mount GoPro to your SUP board.
Tips: How to Mount GoPro to Stand-up Paddleboard
Suction Cup or Adhesive Mount?
There are two common mounting mechanisms to attach your GoPro to SUP:
- Suction Cup Mount
- Adhesive Mount
The suction cup mount should only be used if your board or at least a part of it has a smooth surface. Before securing the mount, make the cup slightly wet in order to maximise the suction. The adhesive mount, on the other hand, will firmly attach to any surface, regardless of whether it is perfectly flat or slightly uneven.
We recommend that you use adhesive mounts over suction cup mounts simply because they are more reliable. Here are some simple steps to mount your GoPro to a SUP using an adhesive mount.
Steps to Mount GoPro to Stand-up Paddleboard
- Thoroughly wash the section of the board where you to attach the mount with soapy water.
- Allow it to dry completely.
- Carefully remove the back of the adhesive on the mount.
- Firmly pin the mount in place by applying force using your thumbs for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the mount is securely in position, allow the adhesive to dry for at least 24-48 hours before heading out.
- Clasp the GoPro on the mount firmly.
That’s it! You’re ready to hit the water with your SUP and record spectacular footage with your GoPro.
Some Additional Tips
- Use a floaty to avoid losing your camera in the water.
- Use a spin-mount that provides 360-degree rotation to capture the best action angles.
- Attach your GoPro to a leash mount for additional security.
7 Best GoPro Paddle Board Mounts
Here are the 7 best GoPro Paddle Board Mounts of different types.
GoPro Paddle Board Mounts: These mounts are meant to be attached directly to the SUP for amazing selfie-shots of your SUP adventures.
#1. GoPro Surf/Paddle Board Mount
- Perfect for surfboards, kayaks, SUPs, boat decks and more
- Ideal for activities where maximum holding strength is needed
- Includes FCS compatible plug for mounting to FCS center fin socket
The official GoPro Surf/Paddle Board Mount needs to be anchored at the top of your paddle board. It’s a perfect choice if you want focus of the footage to be on you as well as the waves. I recommend that you use a floaty with your GoPro while using this mount so that you don’t have to worry about losing the camera in case the mount fails.
GoPro Surfboard Mount is a great option for SUP because it leaves you hands-free. So, you don’t have to face the hassle of holding anything. However, you must make sure to check out some videos about proper installation before attaching this mount. If not mounted properly, it can pop off.
#2. Telesin Surf/Paddle Board Mount
- ✅【Wide Compatibility】Compatible for most bikes, skateboard and surfboard and...
- ✅【Quality Material】Camera Bike Surfboard Skateboard Mount for GoPro Lightweight...
- ✅【Easy & Convenient】Easy to install and adjust by loosening and tightening the...
Made up of aluminium alloy and plastic, this Surf/Paddle-board mount by Telesin is compatible with all GoPros and other action cameras. It’s highly durable yet lightweight and compact at the same time. This mount offers a clear and steady shooting experience by securing your camera firmly.
Telesin Paddle Board Mount is super convenient to set up and adjust: You just need to loosen and tighten the screw. It’s also relatively inexpensive when you compare it with other GoPro mounts. But the quality of this product could be better!
GoPro Mounts for POV Shots while Paddle-boarding: These mounts provide amazing POV shots while you’re out and about for your SUP adventure.
#3. GoPro Bite Mount + Floaty
- Includes Floaty, an easy to spot device that keeps your GoPro afloat
- Easy to use for hands free POV capture in any environment
- Integrated mounting Buckle Makes it easy to capture new POV angles and quickly change...
GoPro Bite Mount is popular for being comfortable and for capturing smooth, stabilized videos. It’s the best option if you’re looking to capture footage from first person perspective on your SUP trip. As the product is by GoPro itself, there is no doubt about the amazing quality and durability which it has to offer.
The super-versatile GoPro Bite Mount supports the camera well and lets you record some stunning, hands-free POV footage. With the in-built mounting buckle slides, you can film your action from different angles and achieve a smooth, shake-free output. It also comes with an easy to spot floaty device which keeps the GoPro safe and afloat.
#4. GoPro Helmet Front + Side Mount
- Mount any GoPro to the front or side of helmets. With the included swivel mount...
- Versatile front and side helmet-mounting solution.
- Offers maximum adjustability for a variety of shots and capture angles.
GoPro Helmet Front + Side Mount is a great choice when looking for a durable helmet mount for paddle-boarding. It can be secured to either front or side of your helmet. The industrial grade, waterproof adhesive ensures that you can use it even during rainy days and windy conditions.
The only drawback of this product is that it may not fit some helmets: those that have a lot of open space. Also, being adhesive based, it is a permanent addition to your helmet.
#5. GoPro Performance Chest Mount
- Lightweight, flexible construction balances comfort and performance
- Padded and breathable materials stay comfortable during any activity
- Fully adjustable to fit a wide range of body types and over heavy winter jackets
The official GoPro Performance Chest Mount is steady, flexible and made with padded design which makes it comfortable to wear and capture stable, hands-free great POV footage during different activities like skiing, surfing, and paddle boarding. It is made from lightweight, breathable material with a standard 3-prong mount and is adjustable to be an easy fit for almost everyone during varied adventures.
This mount features a Quick-release buckle which enables easy in and out even while you have your gloves on. All in all, it’s a great mount for steady and hands-free POV footage of your SUP action.
Multipurpose Mount Kits: Lately, the multipurpose mount kits for GoPro have become hugely popular as they provide a wide range of GoPro mounting solutions for different purposes.
#6. WLPREOE 32 in 1 GoPro Mounts & Accessories
- 【WATER SPORTS ACTIVITIES ACCESSORIES】Bring safety to your GoPro camera and enjoy...
- 【FLOATING GRIP】The high-quality non-slip foam handle delivers tight grip and...
- 【COMPLETE WATERSPORT KIT】Mount your GoPro or other sports cameras for a...
The WLPREOE 32 in 1 multipurpose kit of mounts and accessories includes some extremely useful gear for water activities like scuba-diving, surfing and SUP. It includes surfboard mounts, camera tethers, tether straps, FCS plug, rubber locking plug, quick release buckles, long screws, adapters, anti-fog inserts, floating block and floating handle grip.
This kit is a wonderful solution for all kinds of footage during your SUP session. With it, you can mount your GoPro to your paddle board, hold it with the floating grip, or wear it on your wrist using the wrist strap. The kit also includes multiple accessories to ensure that your GoPro never drowns and can be easily spotted in case you lose it in water. All in all, this kit provides a great value for money.
#7. MOUNTDOG GoPro Accessories Kit for SUP
- 【Carrying Case】- Large Size & Shockproof. It's very convenient to keep all...
- 【Camera Case】- Mini storage for Gopro action camera,keeps your action camer safe...
- 【Various Straps】- 360-degree rotation wrist strap with a screw fixes your action...
Compatible with GoPro and other action cameras, the MOUNTDOG GoPro Accessories Kit for SUP is extremely useful for diehard GoPro fans who love to capture their moments during a wide range of activities like biking, driving, surfing, paddle-boarding, skiing & what not!
This kit includes a large sized, shockproof carrying case which makes it very convenient to keep all accessories and your camera together. You also get a camera case to keep your GoPro safe and protected. Then there are: a 360-degree rotatable wrist strap, a chest harness and a vented helmet strap. Suction cup mount lets you attach your GoPro to any smooth surface firmly, like your paddle-board. With so many mounting possibilities and such reasonable price, it is a must-have!
Now that you know all about the best paddle board mounts for your GoPro, get ready to capture some splashing fun videos of your SUP adventures. Just mount your GoPro to any one of these amazing mounts and head towards the water.
Enjoy your GoPro adventures!
If you found this article useful, please share it with your friends 🙂
- GoPro Settings Explained: Definitive Guide [ Expanded for 2019 + Cheat sheet ]
- GoPro Protune: Everything You Need to Know to Master Your Advanced Settings
- GoPro Time Lapse: Creating Stunning Time Lapse Shots
- GoPro Low Light Tips: Learn How to Improve Your Low Light Footage
- GoPro Editing: Step by Step Beginner Guide + Best Free Editing Software