GoPro is a great hiking camera – it’s lightweight, waterproof, and is capable of shooting amazing 4K (in the latest models, even 5K) video of your hikes. All these features make sense because you really don’t need anything that can weigh you down when you’re out on a hike. That’s why the super light and compact GoPro lets you shoot all the impressive scenes from your hiking trails with ease.
In this guide, you’ll learn all about GoPro Hiking – seven useful hiking tips, plus some accessories that you’ll need while hiking with your GoPro.
So, let’s get started!
7 Tips to Make Better GoPro Hiking Videos
Here are some useful tips that will ensure you get some awesome hiking videos:
Tip #1. Pack Spare Batteries / Power Bank
If you’re heading out for a hike with your GoPro, make sure that you’re fully prepared. Note that GoPro batteries don’t last longer than a couple of hours. Therefore, you’ll need to take spare batteries or a power bank along while you’re on the go to ensure sufficient power throughout your hike. After all, you don’t want to capture only the first leg of your hike and not your full journey!
Here’s the GoPro official battery (for Hero 9, 10) that you can buy from Amazon:
- Advanced 1720mAh lithium-ion battery boosts camera performance over standard GoPro...
- Increases recording time for HERO11 Black/HERO10 Black/HERO9 Black with up to 40%...
- Dramatically improves cold-weather performance in temperatures down to 14°F (-10°C)
When it comes to power bank, I like this one for my GoPro:
- Colossal Cell Capacity: 26,800mAh of power charges most phones over 6 times, tablets...
- Charge 3 Devices at Once: 3 USB output ports together with Anker's PowerIQ and...
- Recharge with Dual 20W Micro USB: A full recharge of the power bank takes just over 6...
Tip #2. Grab Photos From Videos
While you’re out on a long and challenging hike, you don’t want to waste time stopping every now and then to take a photo. That’s why I suggest that you keep filming with your GoPro continuously, and once you’re back, grab still shots from the video in the GoPro app.
Tip #3. Tell a Story
Rather than just clicking pictures and videos, you should also tell how your hiking experience was. People like to hear stories about your adventure. So, you should make it a point to tell a store while clicking the shots. For example, if you’re hiking in the snow, you can capture a close-up shot of an icy branch to tell the audience how harsh the winter was. So, think about what’s going to make your hiking shots unique.
Tip #4. Pack a Few Different Mounts
Different GoPro mounts let you capture the shots from different angles and perspectives. For example, a head mount or a chest mount will let you shoot amazing POV footage of your hike. But, if you want to capture yourself hiking along the trails, you’ll need a handheld selfie stick or a 3-way grip. So, make it a point to pack different mounts to play around with and to try different angles.
All the suitable mounts for hiking are mentioned in the next section.
Tip #5. Use a Gimbal Stabilizer
While GoPro’s HyperSmooth EIS feature is great, if you want totally shake-free shots, you’ll still need a gimbal stabilizer. A great example is the GoPro Karma Grip. It will ensure that you’re able to capture a truly professional-looking hiking movie.
- Capture amazingly smooth shake free video
- Compatible with GoPro body mounts
- Includes karma harness for Hero6 black/Hero5 black/Hero7 black
Tip #6. Use Wide FOV for Photos
Choosing a Wide FOV for your hiking shots is a great idea. It will help you capture the beautiful surroundings without distorting the picture too much. Another thing: Please refrain from using Superview for your hiking shots. That’s because Superview distorts the image a bit too much, and that fish-eye effect also doesn’t look very pleasing.
Top GoPro Accessories For Better Hiking Shots
Here are some of the best accessories to capture some great and picturesque hiking shots with your GoPro:
#1: Telesin Backpack Mount for GoPro
- 【Great Compatibility】Compatible with GoPro Hero 11 10 9 8 7 6 5, OSMO ACTION,...
- 【Perfect Outdoor Shooting Accessories】Perfect for hiking, skiing, mountain...
- 【Comfortable and Stable】TELESIN Shoulder Strap Backpack Mount is made of elastic...
Compatible with all GoPro cameras, this Backpack Mount by Telesin is simple, comfortable, and highly portable. You can easily carry this mount along with you on your outdoor activities including hiking. The mount is waterproof so there is no disappointment of your equipment rusting too soon.
The mount is simple to use and attach to your backpack. In addition, it also clamps well to hats, belts, vests, etc. With this mount, you can capture some wonderful shots. What’s more, it also features a 360-degree rotational capability. Overall, a great mount to use while you’re hiking along some picturesque trails.
#2: GoPro Head Strap
- Compatible with all GoPro cameras
- Includes: (1) Head strap
- Includes: (1) Quick clip
The GoPro official Head Strap is amongst the most popular GoPro accessories. It lets you capture quality handsfree POV footage while you’re out on a hike. The head strap is designed in a way that it can be worn directly on your head as well as over a helmet. The most wonderful thing about this accessory is that it’s super lightweight, which is why it won’t really weigh you down during your hike. But, at the same time, it’s highly durable too and won’t fall apart easily.
The GoPro Head Strap is flexible and can be adjusted to fit all head sizes. Another plus: You also get a Quick Clip with this product. It will allow you to attach your GoPro to a backward baseball cap if you happen to use one.
#3. GoPro 3-Way 2.0
- 3-in-1 design switches from camera grip to tripod to extension arm
- Integrated ball joint lets you change your camera angle without having to reposition...
- Built-in tripod quickly folds out to provide a stable shooting platform for time...
As the name suggests, the GoPro 3-Way features a 3-in-1 design. It switches from a camera grip to a tripod to an extension arm. The grip is a highly comfortable way to carry your GoPro along even during all-day adventures. The tripod lets you achieve stable shots, whether it’s a time-lapse, group photos, or anything else. Lastly, the folding extension arm is also a wonderful addition. It’s great for selfies, overhead shots, and follow-cam footage.
The GoPro 3-Way 2.0 also features an integrated ball joint. It lets you change the angle of your GoPro camera without having to reposition the mount. This accessory is compatible with all GoPro models. Overall, it’s a highly useful accessory. If you have this, you don’t need to buy separate mounts for different use cases. Just the GoPro 3-Way 2.0 is enough!
#4. GoPro Performance Chest Mount
- Lightweight, flexible construction balances comfort and performance
- Padded and breathable materials stay comfortable during any activity
- Fully adjustable to fit a wide range of body types and over heavy winter jackets
If you’re looking for hands-free POV footage of your hikes, then the GoPro Performance Chest Mount is definitely a great choice. All you need to do is strap this mount on your chest, attach your action camera to the mount, and you’re good to go!
The GoPro Performance Chest Mount is perfect for your hiking adventures. Its padded design, breathable material, and light weight make this mount highly comfortable to wear. The size of this mount size is also adjustable. As a result, it can easily fit anyone.
More chest mounts available here: 7 Best GoPro Chest Mounts for Hands-free Shooting (Adult/Kid)
#5. Stuntman Shoulder Strap for GoPro
- Stabilizes the camera (for high quality video) with a large base plate made of...
- You can mount your camera on the left or right side. The mount can also be worn at...
- Ball joint allows you to point your camera in any direction. There are four mounting...
The GoPro Shoulder Strap by Stuntman is a really impressive mount that lets you shoot smooth & stable lower-than-head views hands-free. Its dual anti-slip straps make this shoulder strap super comfortable and offer your GoPro a strong and secure grip.
Made of semi-solid elastomer material, this Shoulder Strap for GoPro is durable as well as waterproof. Therefore, it’s your perfect companion for all your hikes, even while it’s raining. Some other great features of this mount include a quick-release mechanism for easy in-out, high adjustability, and a 360 rotational ability.
More shoulder mounts in this link: 7 Best GoPro Shoulder Mounts for Travel & Adventure!
#6. GoPro Seeker Backpack
- Built in, soft lined compartment stores up to five GoPro cameras and multiple...
- Integrated chest mount captures hands free footage from your point of view
- Adjustable shoulder mount keeps your GoPro within reach and always ready to capture...
Ideal for all GoPro users who love to travel & shoot their hikes, the GoPro official Seeker Backpack is a super spacious bag to fit all your essentials. This bag lets you store up to five GoPro cameras along with multiple batteries, microSD cards, mounts, and other GoPro accessories. It features a built-in soft-lined compartment to keep everything inside it protected, organized, and easily accessible.
What’s great about the Seeker Backpack is that even though it offers great capacity, it is super lightweight and easy to carry along for your hiking adventures. The backpack is designed in such a way that it’s highly convenient to carry along. Plus, it is weather-resistant too. So, you need not worry about it getting wet in the rain.
Check out another backpacks here: 7 Best GoPro Backpack Mounts for Travel, Hike & Adventure!
So, Ready For an Amazing Hike With GoPro?
The aim of this post was to get you well-acquainted with all you need to be able to shoot some amazing GoPro shots of your hiking trips. Follow all the tips, and use the required accessories, and you’re sure to have a great experience.
While all the accessories mentioned above do a wonderful job of capturing your hiking action, you can choose the ones that will solve your purpose the best. For example, a head mount or a chest mount will help you shoot some amazing POV shots. But, if you’re looking to capture yourself, then the versatile 3-way grip is a great choice. And, of course, the weather-resistant GoPro Seeker Backpack is a must-have for storing all these accessories along with your GoPro(s).
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn how to capture some amazing hiking shots with your GoPro. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!
- 7 GoPro Accessories You Need for Skiing (+ Camera Tips)
- 8 Must-Have GoPro Hero 10 Accessories (Action, Travel, Water)
- Top 15 GoPro Helmet Mounts for Ski, Bike, Motorcycle & Action!
- 5 Affordable Action Camera Body Mounts for Epic POV Shots
- 10 Camera Polarizer Lens Filters for TRUE Colors (2022 Guide)