Want to know all about the GoPro Hero 11 Black Audio? You have landed at the right spot.
The GoPro Hero 11 Black uses three microphones to capture sound while recording video. And, if you want, you can also use an external mic with the camera.
In this post, you’ll learn about the best GoPro Hero 11 audio settings, how to improve the audio quality, and the best external mics for the camera.
So, let’s dive in!
GoPro Hero 11 Audio Settings
Here are the audio settings available on your GoPro Hero 11 Black:
RAW Audio is a Protune setting that creates a separate .wav file for your video, in addition to the standard .mp4 audio track. It is especially useful if you want to share the audio file or use it in post-processing.
You can select from various levels of processing in the RAW audio track, which include Off (default), Low, Med, and High.
– Off: When the RAW audio setting is turned off, no separate .wav file is created.
– Low: This setting applies minimal processing to the audio. It’s ideal if you’re looking to do audio processing in post-production.
– Med: This setting applies moderate processing based on the Wind-Noise Reduction setting. It is ideal if you want to apply your own gain.
– High: This setting applies full audio processing (automatic gain and Wind-Noise Reduction). It is ideal if you want processed audio without AAC encoding.
Pro Tip: Insert your SD card into a card reader to access the .wav files with your computer. They’re saved with the same name and in the same location as the .mp4 files.
To learn more about GoPro Protune and its advanced setting click here.
Wind Noise Reduction
As you know, the GoPro Hero 11 Black uses three microphones to capture sound while recording video. In the Hero 11 Protune settings, you can customize how these mics are used based on the conditions including where you’re shooting, or the type of sound you want in your finished video.
You can select from the following options:
– Auto (default): This is the default GoPro Hero 11 Black audio setting. It automatically filters out excessive wind (and water) noise.
– On: This setting filters out excessive wind noise. It is recommended in windy weather conditions or when your GoPro is mounted on a moving vehicle.
– Off: Keep this setting OFF when you feel that the wind will not affect sound quality. It will ensure that your GoPro is recording in stereo.
So, use the recommended setting based on your situation for improved audio quality in the resulting video.
Find out more about noise reduction and all the GoPro Hero 11 features and specs here.
How to Improve GoPro Hero 11 Audio
Here are three tips to capture better-quality audio with your GoPro Hero 11:
- Connect an External Audio Accessory (Microphone)
- Use a Windscreen
- Tweak the GoPro Audio Settings
Tip #1: Connect an External Audio Accessory (Microphone)
For enhanced audio quality, you should use an external audio accessory, like a microphone with your GoPro Hero 11 Black. However, since the camera doesn’t have a dedicated audio input port, you’ll need a GoPro adapter or the GoPro Media Mod to connect a mic to your GoPro.
Choose your perfect GoPro audio adapter in this guide.
Learn more on GoPro Media Mod in this article.
Best External Mics for GoPro Hero 11 Black:
– Rode Wireless Go
With no bulky wires to get in the way and clever portability, the Rode Wireless Go guarantees smooth audio capture with your GoPro Hero 11.
- Combo Clip-On Microphone Or Beltpack Transmitter For Lavalier/Headset Mic/ Built-In...
- Audio Delivers Crystal Clear Audio Under Any Conditions/ Up To 70M Range But...
- Power Tx And Rx Have Built-In Usb-C Rechargeable Batteries/ Up To 7 Hours On A Full...
– Rode VideoMicro
This compact microphone plugs right into your Hero 11 and comes with a windscreen. So, say goodbye to a windy, crackling voice and achieve great audio with your GoPro.
- Compact microphone designed to improve the audio quality of your videos - only 80...
- No battery required (powered by camera plug-in power - min 3V)
- Includes Rycote lyre shock mount and deluxe furry windshield
– Vidpro XM-L
This budget lavalier microphone for GoPro Hero 11 also comes with a windscreen to let you capture crystal-clear sound without any interference from background noise.
- Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier microphone - 20' Audio Cable
- Includes lapel clip and foam windscreen
- Sensitivity -30dB +/- 3dB / 0dB = 1V/Pa, 1kHz
More external microphones for GoPro Hero 11 are here.
Tip #2: Use a Windscreen
A windscreen is a sure-shot way of eliminating wind noise and filtering out undesirable background sounds on your GoPro Hero 11 footage. Windscreens usually come cheap and are very convenient to install and remove.
As you must have noticed from the above list of mics, many external mics come with a windscreen. But, if you don’t have one, you can also get it easily from the market.
Best Windscreen for GoPro Hero 11:
– VGSION Windslayer Foam Housing (for GoPro Hero 9 Black)
Made of quality sponge material, this windscreen is very effective in reducing noise, especially the wind noise from your GoPro Hero 11 footage.
- Improve Video Sound: This foam case absorbs the sound of air moving across the mic
- Made of special sponges; It is soft, lightweight, portable, and flexible
- Not Affect Video Quality: Precise holes will not affect the quality of video and...
Tip #3: Tweak the GoPro Audio Settings
Lastly, if you want to get the best audio quality out of your GoPro Hero 11, you must ensure that you’ve adjusted the camera’s audio settings accordingly. Have a look at the above section “GoPro Hero 11 Audio Settings” to know more about the best Hero 11 audio settings for different situations.
How to Improve GoPro’s Audio Quality?
For getting the best audio quality out of your GoPro Hero 11 Black, it’s important that you adjust its settings accordingly. So, check out all the above-mentioned GoPro Hero 11 Audio Settings. With these simple tweaks, you’ll be able to capture high-quality audio with your Hero 11 at all times. In addition, use a windscreen. It is a sure-shot way of eliminating wind noise.
Also, to achieve top-notch audio quality with your Hero 11, use a quality external mic – one of the above-mentioned options. For professional-quality audio, I recommend going with the Rode Wireless Go. Otherwise, the Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier Condenser Microphone is also a great budget microphone which gives a pretty decent performance at its price point.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you gain knowledge about the various GoPro Hero 11 audio settings, plus some great external mics for the best sound quality. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!