Are you looking for the best audio settings to get the clearest sound with your GoPro Hero 6? Or, are you wondering what mic would be a good fit for this camera?
Well, we have some suggestions that may help you out!
In this post, we are going to take a look at all of the different GoPro Hero 6 audio settings on offer. Alongside that, I’ll recommend some great microphones that will give you the best sound quality and performance when paired with your GoPro Hero 6.
Let’s dive in!
Best GoPro Hero 6 Audio Settings
Here are the best audio settings for your GoPro Hero 6:
Manual Audio Control
The Manual Audio Control setting is turned off on the GoPro Hero 6 by default. This means that your camera automatically switches between recording in stereo in normal conditions and filtering wind noise when it detects too much interference. However, if you want to take matters into your own hands, simply turn on Manual Audio Control for a greater level of customization.
If you are capturing an outdoor scene with lots of gusts coming through, it’s best to select the Wind Only option to filter the unwanted noise while still capturing high fidelity sounds in other parts. On the other hand, you might want to select Stereo Only if you are recording indoors, like a club, theatre or a concert hall where consistent stereo audio is a priority and wind is not an issue.
Also read: 3 EASY Tips for Better GoPro Audio.
The RAW Audio is a Protune setting which creates a separate .wav file for your video, in addition to the standard .mp4 audio track. Please note that this setting applies only to the Video capture mode. This setting is especially useful if you want to share the audio file or use it in post-processing.
You can select from various levels of processing in the RAW audio track, which include Off (default), Low, Med and High.
– Off: When the RAW audio setting is turned off, no separate .wav file is created.
– Low: This setting applies minimal processing to the audio. It’s ideal if you’re looking to do audio processing in post-production.
– Med: This setting applies audio processing based on the Manual Audio Control setting (wind and/or stereo) as discussed above. If Manual Audio Control is turned off, the camera automatically switches between wind filtering and stereo audio.
– High: This setting applies a high level of audio processing, with automatic gain and AAC encoding.
Pro Tip: Audio files in .wav format are captured in the same location and with the same file name as .mp4 files. To access them, insert your microSD card into a card reader and locate the files with your computer’s file explorer.
Connecting an External Audio Accessory
An external audio accessory, like a microphone can provide enhanced audio for the video captured by the GoPro Hero 6. Please note that to connect an audio accessory to your camera’s USB-C port, you need to use GoPro’s Pro 3.5mm Mic Adapter (sold separately). This is because there is no dedicated audio input port on this device. The Mic Adapter connects the external 3.5mm jack microphone to the USB-C port of your GoPro Hero 6.
- Enables high-quality audio capture when using a pro-level external mic.Mounting Type:...
- USB-C power and data extension with 90° connector
- Connects a wide range of external 3.5mm mics
Mic Recommendations for GoPro Hero 6
Here are some of the best microphones for the GoPro Hero 6 action camera:
Rode Wireless Go – Compact Wireless Microphone
- Combo Clip-On Microphone Or Beltpack Transmitter For Lavalier/Headset Mic/ Built-In...
- Audio Delivers Crystal Clear Audio Under Any Conditions/ Up To 70M Range But...
- Power Tx And Rx Have Built-In Usb-C Rechargeable Batteries/ Up To 7 Hours On A Full...
The Rode Wireless Go is a compact, wireless microphone system designed for use in professional or personal settings. It’s perfect for capturing smooth audio anywhere. With no bulky wires to get in the way and clever portability, this set guarantees smooth audio capture anywhere. You’ll never have to worry about getting tangled up in cables again!
And it doesn’t matter if you’re shooting at home or on location – this set will make sure that your sound is always crystal clear. Whether you’re recording an interview or just chatting with friends, the Rode Wireless Go makes it easy to capture excellent audio with the GoPro Hero 6 camera.
Pixel Wireless Lavalier Microphone
- 【UHF Wireless Microphone】The frequencies of it operate on 570-606 Mhz，You can...
- 【36 UHF Select-able Channels】This Wireless Lavalier Microphone features 36...
- 【Long Working Time & Operating Range】The working time of this wireless audio...
The Pixel Wireless Lavalier Microphone is a great way to record audio without the hassle of wires. With one transmitter and one receiver, you can roam freely with your camera while recording. It also has an automatic wind noise reduction feature that will make every recording sound crystal clear!
This compact microphone provides a wonderful battery backup of up to six hours.
Rode VideoMicro – Compact On-Camera Microphone
- Compact microphone designed to improve the audio quality of your videos - only 80...
- No battery required (powered by camera plug-in power - min 3V)
- Includes Rycote lyre shock mount and deluxe furry windshield
Attention: Do you want to take your GoPro videos to the next level?
The Rode VideoMicro is a compact microphone that plugs right into your GoPro Hero 6 (of course with a Mic Adapter), so that you can record great audio on the go without having to worry about batteries or anything else! It comes with its own wind screen that makes it super easy to capture sound in any type of situation. So, with Rode VideoMicro, you can finally say goodbye to windy, crackling voice and focus on the subject when using this mic. It’s easy to take anywhere since it folds up in a compact package for storage.
If you’re looking for an affordable way of upgrading your video quality while also getting better audio, then look no further than Rode VideoMic! You’ll be able to get professional-quality sound from this tiny device – all without breaking the bank.
Vidpro XM-L – Wired Lavalier Condenser Microphone
- Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier microphone - 20' Audio Cable
- Includes lapel clip and foam windscreen
- Sensitivity -30dB +/- 3dB / 0dB = 1V/Pa, 1kHz
If you’re looking for a budget microphone for the GoPro Hero 6, then this is your best bet! The Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier microphone comes with 20 feet of cabling and clips which are perfect if your subject needs some distance. This mic connects via a 4ft long cable with 3.5mm audio plug, leaving plenty of length. The included foam windscreen provides for shock or wind protection.
With this mic, you’ll be able to capture crystal clear sound without any interference from background noise thanks to the omnidirectional polar pattern that picks up sound equally well in all directions – even when it’s behind you! And don’t worry about running out of battery power because this mic runs on two AA batteries (not included). It also includes an adjustable clip so you can attach it anywhere on your person or clothing, making it easy to use during any activity.
Do you want to check out another mics before deciding?
Also read: 7 GoPro External Microphones for Supreme Audio
What Microphone for GoPro Hero 6 Do You Prefer?
If you want to get the best audio quality possible out of your GoPro Hero 6, be sure to adjust the settings accordingly. Check out all the above-mentioned GoPro Hero 6 Audio Settings. With these simple changes, you’ll be able to capture high-quality audio at all times.
However, remember the best way to achieve top-notch audio quality of the footage captured by GoPro Hero 6 is by using a quality external mic. If you want professional microphone style, I recommend going with the Rode Wireless Go. Otherwise, the Vidpro XM-L Wired Lavalier Condenser Microphone is also a great budget microphone which gives pretty decent performance at its price point.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you gain knowledge about the various GoPro Hero 6 audio settings on offer, plus some great mics that will give you the best sound quality. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!
- 3 GoPro Audio Adapter for External Microphones
- 7 GoPro External Microphones for Supreme Audio
- 7 Best GoPro Hero 8 Microphones + Adapters 
- 9 Best GoPro Microphones of 2023 + Mic Adapters