If you own of the latest GoPro Hero 11 Black and are looking to get information about SD card size for capturing the exciting details of your upcoming trip then, you have landed at the right place.
An SD card plays a very important role in recording your memories and keeping them safe so that you can relive them again and again. Choosing one is a crucial step and you must consider the camera specifications to ensure compatibility with the SD card.
In this post, you will learn about the microSD card sizes that are compatible with the GoPro HERO 11, and how long each size variant can record.
GoPro HERO 11 SD Card Size Recommendations
The GoPro Hero 11 Black features a single microSD card slot and the SD card used should be fast enough to handle the high bitrate offered by HERO 11. The HERO 11 Black uses the UHS-I host specification, so you won’t get added benefits if you put a UHS-II card in it. Though it would work perfectly fine owing to the rollback mechanism.
Speed Class is the official unit of speed measurement for all SD cards. There are five different speed classes – 2,4,6,8,10 (10 being the fastest and 2 being the slowest). It gives you the minimum transfer rate of data that the card is capable of.
In the case of GoPro HERO 11, Class 10 microSD cards with V30 or UHS-3 rating are recommended for best results.
Some recommended SD card options are as follows:
#1. SanDisk Extreme V30 UHS-I
SanDisk cards are known for their quality and performance. Offering superb write speeds of up to 90 MB/s and read speeds of up to 160 MB/s, this card is officially recommended by GoPro as well. The SanDisk Extreme UHS-I microSD Card lets you capture 5.3K videos as well as raw and burst shots with ease. They are available in varied sizes ranging from 32GB to 1TB.
#2. Samsung EVO Select V30 UHS-I
Samsung is another great option among SD cards for GoPro Hero 11. The Samsung EVO Select V30 UHS-I comes with read speeds of up to 100MB/s and write speeds of up to 90MB/s, it is one of the most loved cards by Amazon users. You can enjoy capturing 5.3K or 4K UHD videos and high-resolution photos without any interruption.
#3. Lexar Professional 1066x Silver V30 UHS-I
Lexar Professional 1066x Silver V30 UHS-I is highly compatible with Hero 11 and comes in 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB storage sizes. It offers read and write speeds – up to 160 MB/s & 120 MB/s, respectively. If you are looking for a pocket-friendly yet reliable option then, this card is a perfect choice for you.
For more information regarding SD cards for GoPro Hero 11, visit this post >>
GoPro HERO 11 SD Card Size
GoPro HERO 11 supports microSD cards with storage sizes ranging from 32GB to 1TB. The main requirement of the SD card is to be fast enough to support the HERO11’s features.
So, you can use the following storage size variants with your GoPro HERO 11 camera:
If you use an SD card with a capacity larger than 1TB, then chances are that the microSD card might get corrupted and you might lose all data. So, it is advisable to use 32GB to 512GB micro SD cards, as they work well in all scenarios.
GoPro HERO 11 SD Card Size: How Long Can It Record?
The Recording time can vary as per the Resolution/Bit Rate setting used and the SD card’s capacity.
Keeping Resolution (16:9) and Standard Bit Rate, the estimated time is as below.
How Long Can a 32GB SD Card Record?
- 5.3K (60fps) Video: 58.5 Mins.
- 5.3K (30fps) Video: 1:00 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 58.5 Mins.
- 4K (30fps) Video: 1:18 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 57 Mins.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 1:15 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 1:13 Hrs
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 1:15 Hrs.
How Long Can a 64GB SD Card Record?
- 5.3K (60fps) Video: 1:57 Hrs.
- 5.3K (30fps) Video: 2:00 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 1:57 Hrs.
- 4K (30fps) Video: 2:36 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 1:54 Hrs.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 2:31 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 2:27 Hrs.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 2:31 Hrs.
How Long Can a 128GB SD Card Record?
- 5.3K (60fps) Video: 3:54 Hrs.
- 5.3K (30fps) Video: 4:00 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 3:54 Hrs.
- 4K (30fps) Video: 5:14 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 3:49 Hrs.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 5:04 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 4:56 Hrs.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 5:04 Hrs.
How Long Can a 256GB SD Card Record?
- 5.3K (60fps) Video: 7:48 Hrs.
- 5.3K (30fps) Video: 8:00 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 7:48 Hrs.
- 4K (30fps) Video: 10:28 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 7:37 Hrs.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 10:08 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 9:48 Hrs.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 10:08 Hrs.
How Long Can a 512GB SD Card Record?
- Number of Pictures: 195840
- 5K (30fps) Video: 13:00 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 13:00 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 13:00 Hrs.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 16:00 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 16:00 Hrs.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 21:12 Hrs.
- 720p (60fps) Video: 21:12 Hrs.
- 720p (50fps) Video: 30:52 Hrs.
How Long Can a 1TB SD Card Record?
- Number of Pictures: 391.680
- 5K (30fps) Video: 26 Hrs.
- 4K (60fps) Video: 26 Hrs.
- 2.7K (120fps) Video: 26 Hrs.
- 2.7K (60fps) Video: 32 Hrs.
- 1080p (120fps) Video: 32 Hrs.
- 1080p (60fps) Video: 42 Hrs.
- 720p (60fps) Video: 42 Hrs.
- 720p (50fps) Video: 1 Hr
Note: These are just the estimates that can be useful as guides to let you have an idea of what to expect from each size variant.
GoPro Recommended SD Cards for HERO 11
Here are the two micro SD cards that GoPro officially recommends for the GoPro HERO 11:
SanDisk Extreme UHS-I microSD Card
- Brand: SanDisk
- Speed Class: UHS-I, Class 10
- Maximum Read Speed: 160MB/s
- Maximum Write Speed: 90MB/s
- Capacity: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB & 1TB
- Up to 160MB/s read speeds to save time transferring high res images and 4K UHD...
- Up to 90MB/s write speeds for fast shooting; Requires compatible devices capable of...
- 4K UHD and Full HD Ready with UHS speed class 3 (U3) and video speed class 30 (V30)
With up to 160 MB/s read speed and 90 MB/s write speed, the SanDisk Extreme microSD card is one is our top recommended microSD cards for HERO 11. It is available in 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 400GB, 512GB, and 1TB sizes. You can now record and transfer high-resolution images and 4K UHD videos in no time. The exterior is made with strong and durable material that makes it temperature-proof, waterproof, shockproof, and X-ray-proof. GoPro officially recommends this card in their “Works with GoPro” certification program.
Samsung EVO Select UHS-I microSD Card
- Brand: Samsung
- Speed Class: UHS-I, Class 10
- Maximum Read Speed: 130MB/s
- Maximum Write Speed: 90MB/s
- Capacity: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, 512GB
- ALL THE SPACE YOU NEED: Store tons of media on your phone, load games or download...
- FAST AND SMOOTH: With superfast U3, class 10 rated transfer speeds of up to...
- EXPAND AND STORE BIG: Find your perfect fit from 64GB, 128GB, 256GB and 512GB; Select...
One of the most popular cards picked by Amazon users is the Samsung EVO Select microSD card. It offers a read and write speed of 130 MB/s and 90 MB/s respectively. With top-notch speed and seamless transfer, these cards assure to keep your memories safe. You can now quickly record and transfer high-bitrate videos and burst-mode photography. Along with being highly durable, it can withstand harsh weather conditions as well. The Samsung EVO Select is available in 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB sizes.
Learn more about compatible SD card sizes for different GoPro models, visit this article:
GoPro Hero 11 Black is an amazing model offering great features and high resolution. The micro SD card for your GoPro Hero 11 should be such that, it can handle HERO11 Black’s 120Mbps top-end video modes smoothly. The final choice of an SD card comes down to one’s budget and personal brand choice. If the SD card is not fast enough, it won’t be able to keep up with the recording pace hence, create problems. To handle the high bitrate of Hero 11, a fast SD should be preferred. So, list your priorities and choose the one that would make your upcoming trips hassle-free and memorable.
Recovering Data from GoPro Hero 11 Micro SD card:
Sometimes when the card gets corrupted or is not working well, recovering the data can be difficult. First, you should immediately stop using the card. There are different data recovery software that you can use for the same. GoPro recommends free data recovery software as well as a licensed one for more comprehensive recovery.
Learn more: How to Fix Corrupted SD Card >>
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn everything about the best SD cards for your GoPro HERO 11.
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!
- 5 Best SD Card Formatter Software in 2022
- GoPro HERO 11 Black Beginner’s Tutorial: How To Get Started
- GoPro Hero 11 Helmet Mount (Top 7 Reviewed)
- Best Memory Cards for (ANY) GoPro HERO cameras
- 10 Best SD Cards for GoPro Hero 11 (Recommendation 2023)