Drones are an amazing invention to shoot things that might not be otherwise possible for human photographers and videographers. Not only images, but drones also allow you to capture audio/video as well. They are small and compact and thus, can be carried easily. Drones can withstand harsh weather conditions as well. These little gadgets with wings have taken photography and videography to a whole new level.
The below article will take you through the process of getting a Drone License.
Why are Drones Required?
Drones are useful and entertaining at the same time. They can hold the camera or, any object steadily and can be programmed to fly in areas that were not humanly possible to capture the best views ever. Drone technology has made the life of professional photographers and videographers easier. It has limitless potential and now with the advancement in technology, drones have become affordable and user-friendly as well. Some of the main benefits of using a drone are :
- Inspections can be done more efficiently.
- Acts as a helping hand during deliveries.
- Military Applications.
- For Scientific Research.
- A great help during emergencies.
- For capturing mesmerizing photos and videos.
How to Get a Drone License?
Be it for personal or professional purposes, a drone is something that would only add to your joy. But owning a drone is not as simple as going to market and picking up your favorite. A formal procedure needs to be followed before your drone touches the skies.
Why is the License Important?
For flying a drone into the air, a valid license is a must. You should do the basic to-do’s and don’t. The first step after purchasing a drone is to secure an FAA Tracking Number (FTN). This unique code is linked with your drone post-activation. There are two ways in which you can apply for a drone license.
- For Recreational Purposes – A 15-30 minute long, Free of cost test needs to be given. Visit The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST) for more details. By chance, if your drone weighs more than 250gms then, it needs to be registered with the FAA which costs 5 dollars and has validity for over three years.
- Other than Recreational Purposes – The basic requirements to apply in this category are as follows :
1. Age should be 16 years or above.
2. Be able to read, write, understand, and speak English.
3. Be physically and mentally fit to fly a drone.
4. After clearing the 107 exams, an application needs to be submitted to the FAA.
Part 107 license requires you to fulfill the above requirements along with clearing a Part 107 test that requires a 70% passing score, covering FAA rules and restrictions and knowledge on how to fly a drone. This test is non-refundable and costs around 160 dollars. Visit Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) Rule (Part 107)
Step-by-Step Guide to Getting a Drone License
Below mentioned is a step-by-step guide that will prove beneficial in acquiring a drone license conveniently.
Step 1: Create an Account
As mentioned in the article above, for getting your drone pilot’s license, the first thing you’ll need is an FAA Tracking Number (FTN). For the same an Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) profile need to be created.
Step 2: Enhance your Basic Knowledge
A test mentioned as mentioned in the above section needs to be cleared, which includes questions about drone laws, limitations and flight operation, airspace classifications, flight restrictions, weather, emergency procedures, and more. You can take help from online courses and guides to brush up on your knowledge.
Step 3: Schedule your Exam
You can search for a local test center and schedule your exam on a convenient date. It is a two-hour test that consists of 60 multiple-choice questions. To register for the exam you will need a government-issued photo ID like a driver’s license or a passport. Clearing the exam will generate a 17-digit Knowledge Test Exam ID number.
Step 4: Apply For a License
Visit the IACRA website and complete FAA Form 8710-13 to get your remote pilot certificate. The 17-digit Knowledge Test Exam ID number would be required. Follow the below steps :
- Go To Start New Application.
- Select the Category Pilot.
- Go To Certifications and Select Remote Pilot > Other Path Information.
- Start Application.
- After completing, Click Submit.
Step 5: Wait for the Results
The TSA will do a background check on you. Once you pass this step, you will be notified via email. Voila! You will get your temporary Drone License. A printout of the same can be used.
Step 6: You’re Officially Ready to Take Off
After a week or so, you’ll receive your physical license in the mail. The same is valid for good two years. Post which you will need to clear the exam again.
Every time you fly a drone, keeping the license along with you is a must. For details on how to fly a drone, visit How to Fly a Drone? Full Guide
Finally getting control of your drone in your hands is an amazing experience in itself. The sky is the limit for you, literally. You will be stunned by the amazing views that can be captured with a few clicks. Acquiring the license is a necessity and once you are through with it, be sure to carry it along whenever you step out with your Drone. Enjoy the Flight! 🙂
If you already have a pilot’s license then, You’ll need to take the FAA Part 107 sUAS ALC-451 course, and then fill out the same 8710-13 form on the IACRA website as mentioned above.
Thanks for reading
I hope this guide helped you gain all the information about how to get a drone license. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends
- GoPro Quik Freezes: 6 Ways to FIX it
- GoPro Quik App Review: BEST App to Edit GoPro Videos?
- What App do I Use For DJI Osmo?
- GoPro Quik Alternatives for Mobile and Desktop in 2022
- How to Find the Registration Number for DJI Fly App?