Drones are not only being used for military purposes now but have become an integral part of photographers’ and videographers’ life. They are beneficial in more than one way. Be it delivering items in emergencies or shooting scenes that are not humanly possible. With the advancement in technology, keeping an eye on the enemy or recording the most memorable moments has now become a cakewalk.
In this article, you will get to know all about the history of drones and how they were invented.
What is a Drone?
A drone can be defined as a small aircraft that does not need an onboard pilot to operate it. Earlier drones were big and expensive and were not affordable by general people but now they have become compact and reasonable, and are widely being used. Drones can be divided into two categories, one that requires a human operator to direct its missions and the other that is autonomous. Technology has come a long way and drones are now available in all shapes and sizes.
Who Invented the Drone?
Back in 1935, several radio-controlled aircraft were produced by the British for training purposes. Inspired by the name of one of these models the DH. 82B Queen Bee, the term ‘drone’ came into existence. The name was relatable as it could not operate on its own and needed a pilot to control it. The Unmanned Aerial Vehicle was first used as a target by anti-aircraft crews during training. Earlier in the 1800s when drones were first used, they were only meant for photography, safety, security, and environmental programs.
Aircraft from the very beginning was designed to keep an eye on the enemy from the sky. Similarly, drones were made for military use as well but have now become an essential part of civilians as well. The brilliant mind behind the innovation of the drone is Abraham E. Karem. He is known as the Father of UAV Technology. UAV stands for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. He graduated in Aeronautics and made up his first drone For the Israeli Air Force during the time of World War. Amber was his first most sophisticated predator drone.
How drones came into existence is a very interesting topic. Aircraft were flown by humans. To replace that, initially, the idea of Robotic Drones came to the surface which robots were used to fly aircraft but that was too expensive and thus, a more refined technology was required. With research and moderation, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) were developed. They are flown in the air by remote.
How was Drone Invented?
Below listed are the stages of Drone Advancement.
- The earliest breakthroughs: In 1907, the world’s earliest quadcopter was invented by brothers Jacques and Louis Bréguet.
- The first military drone: In 1917, the Ruston Proctor Aerial Goal became the first pilotless winged aircraft ever. It was controlled by a remote. In 1943, during World War II, the FX-1400 was the very first remote-controlled weapon that was used.
- The RC plane boom: In the 1960s, miniaturized radio-controlled components came into existence.
- The first armed drone strikes: In 2001, during the 9/11 attack, the C.I.A. started flying armed drones over Afghanistan.
- Commercial Drone Permits by FAA: In 2006, FAA issued the very first business drone licenses.
- The Parrot AR Drone: In 2010, with the invention of the Parrot AR Drone, the very first ready-to-fly drone that could be controlled entirely through Wi-Fi, with a smartphone was developed by a French Company named Parrot.
- Amazon Prime Air: By 2013, Amazon introduced a notion video showcasing founder Jeff Bezos’ vision of introducing a drone-based shipping system.
- Smart Drones: After a lot of experiments and improvements, in 2016, DJI’s Phantom 4 introduced smart computer vision and machine learning technologies. UAVs came out as a revolution in the tech industry and a significant turn for photographers and consumers generally.
With more advancements and improvements in technology, drones have now become an essential part of our lives.
With the abundant information that we have now, drones have become highly sophisticated. Nanotechnology is the key to small and compact drones, each component of drone e is developed by NanoMaterials. Drones these days feature microprocessors, navigation technology, digital and remote flight controlling systems, high definition and wide range cameras, broadband communication systems, engines, satellites, and missiles.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Drone
The below section takes you through the good and bad sides of Drone Technology.
Uses of a Drone
Drones are beneficial in many ways. Some of the main reasons are listed below:
- Inspections can be done more efficiently.
- Acts as a helping hand during deliveries.
- Military Applications.
- For Scientific Research.
- A great help during emergencies.
- For capturing mesmerizing photos and videos.
Every new invention can be used for good and bad reasons as well. Some people try to exploit drones by using them for the following purposes.
- For Spying
- For trafficking drugs illegally
- For carrying explosives
The threat of drone attacks from neighboring countries is increasing. They are very small in size and difficult to locate. To know a few ways in which you can spot a drone in the night sky. Click here.
The power of every nation is measured by its technical growth and Drone Technology has a lot of scope for advancement. Researchers from all countries are working on adding new features and improvements. Drones hold prime importance shortly. Be it for military or other purposes, drones have proved to be highly useful in all spheres. From monitoring climate change to carrying out search operations or shooting some mesmerizing footage, drones have the lead role in the present and definitely in the future as well.
Thanks for reading
I hope this guide helped you gain all the information about who invented drones. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends
- How to Get a Drone License?
- How to Stop Drones From Flying over Your House?
- How to Fly a Drone? Full Guide
- Best Drone App: 7 Apps you Need to Install
- How to Find the Registration Number for DJI Fly App?