The official gimbal designed by GoPro: GoPro Karma Grip Stabilizer is a popular product if you’re looking to capture smooth, shake-free videos. A highly rated product by most tech critiques, it gives you an amazingly stable video quality even in very shaky situations, such as while you are hiking or cycling.
The most attractive feature of this gimbal is that it’s incredibly light weight which makes it very portable. However, it’s a bit on the expensive side as compared to several third-party options that are out there for lesser price.
In this review, you’ll get an in-depth analysis of GoPro Karma Grip and find out if it’s really worth it!
GoPro Karma Grip Review
Firstly, I’ll let you know about the key specifications of GoPro Karma Grip.
|Battery Backup||2 Hours|
|Recharging Connector Type||USB Type-C|
GoPro Karma Grip Functions
GoPro Karma Grip gimbal is designed specifically for the GoPro Hero 5, Hero 6 and Hero 7 Black cameras. It’s very convenient to set up with the camera, unlike other gimbals that are designed to support several different cameras. It lets you control your GoPro camera straight from the grip itself with four buttons offering different functions. You can automatically power on/off the camera as you turn on and off the gimbal, start/stop recording, change shooting modes and even add highlight tags to the video while you’re shooting.
GoPro Karma Grip gimbal lets you get connected to the computer without having to detach the camera. You just have to plug the grip to your computer and transfer files. This will also recharge both the grip as well as the camera.
- Erstaunlich flüssige, verwacklungsfreie Videoaufnahmen
- Kompatibel mit GoPro-Gehäusehalterungen
- Includes karma harness for Hero6 black/Hero5 black/Hero7 black
- Simplicity is the major forte of this product. Just about anyone even without any prior experience of handling video stabilizers can pick it up and start shooting.
- This gimbal boasts of hohe Verarbeitungsqualität und ist leichten at the same time.
- Die performance of image stabilization provided by GoPro Karma Grip is top notch.
- 2 hours battery backup while shooting continuously looks great!
- GoPro Karma Grip is expensive. You can find gimbals offering similar functions at half the price!
- It features only two shooting modes (pan follow and following). Advanced users may complain about lack of customizability and manual controls like a pan/tilt joystick or selfie mode.
- It’s nicht kompatibel with GoPro Hero 8 Black.
GoPro Karma Grip vs Feiyu Tech G5
GoPro Karma Grip and Feiyu Tech G5 are both great products. They do a fantastic job of stabilizing footage even during extremely shaky situations. But if you do a comparison between the two, you’ll notice that GoPro Karma Grip does a better job. It succeeds in taking out almost ALL the shakes and jitters, while G5 struggles and isn’t quite as good.
In this video below, you can see how these two products compare while being used during skiing. Both of these gimbals are attached to GoPro Hero 5 and are shooting in 4K-30 with EIS (Electronic Image Stabilization) turned off.
It turns out that Karma-Griff has been designed with much more powerful motors and its software is highly synchronised and tuned well in order to ensure the most stable image possible. G5, on the other hand, it’s good if you need to mount other cameras (of the same type/size) other than GoPro, or also if you want to stay on a budget.
GoPro Karma Grip wins! But if price is the constraint for you, Feiyu Tech G5 comes at a lower price. So, you might consider it as well because it still is one of the best products available!
Does GoPro Karma Grip work with Hero 7?
Ja, GoPro Karma works well with GoPro Hero 7 Black camera. In all, GoPro Karma Grip is compatible with Hero 5, Hero 6 & Hero 7 Black.
Skiing with GoPro Karma Grip
Shooting video with your GoPro while skiing is an absolute treat if you attach it with Karma Grip! You get crisp, high quality footage without any noticeable shake or jitter. Have a look at the video below and see how great it performs while you’re skiing.
Doesn’t it look just amazing? Karma Grip wins this test too! 🙂
GoPro Karma Grip vs Hypersmooth: What’s better?
With the launch of GoPro Hero 7 Black, Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) has evolved into a pretty impressive alternative to gimbal stabilizers. Hypersmooth, a highly sophisticated form of Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) that features in GoPro Hero 7 and Hero 8, has changed the game.
We all know that EIS is nothing new. But hypersmooth achieves incredibly smooth flowing footage. And considering that it’s all being done by software and without any mechanical interaction, it’s amazing and sometimes hard to believe!
But is hypersmooth actually better than Karma Grip? We’ll find out…
In the video above, you can see how Hypersmooth on Hero 7 compares with Karma Grip attached on Hero 6 while biking in rugged terrain. Although the footage with Karma Grip attached looks more stable and with absolutely NO jitters whatsoever, the one with Hypersmooth is not bad either.
Strengths of GoPro Karma Grip over Hypersmooth
- The quality of video is better and MUCH more stable in shaky situations.
- You get quality videos in all the resolutions that your GoPro supports, unlike hypersmooth which is available only in specific resolutions und Bildraten.
- Hypersmooth produces an annoying Jello effect in schwachen Lichtverhältnissen situations, which is not the case with Karma Grip.
Strengths of Hypersmooth over Karma Grip
- Like most gimbals, Karma Grip is not very comfortable to wear since additional piece of hardware has to be attached to the camera. This limitation is obviously absent in case of Hypersmooth.
- Karma Grip isn’t water/weather proof, even if the GoPro attached to it is!
- You don’t have to purchase an extra accessory for image stabilization.
GoPro Karma Grip Case
GoPro official Karma Grip Case is a nice case with solide Verarbeitungsqualität. But it might feel a bit cramped if you have too many Accessoires like different stands, chargers, batteries etc. I personally wish it was bigger in size, but I can say that it’s one of the best available auf dem Markt für Ihre GoPro.
However, it still feels a little zu teuer for what it offers!
- Bewahren Sie Ihre GoPro, Halterungen und Zubehör bequem an einem Ort auf
- Vollständig anpassbar an jedes Getriebe-Setup
- Robuste, halbstarre Schale und gepolsterte Innenwände schützen und polstern die Ausrüstung
Q: How to charge GoPro Karma Grip?
A: To charge, you need to insert the power cable from the Karma Charger into charging port at the bottom of the grip. When it’s fully charged, battery status lights will illuminate.
Q: How to attach GoPro to Karma Grip?
A: You just need to plug in the camera and close the side door.
Q: Is GoPro Hero 7 compatible with Karma Grip?
A: Ja, GoPro Hero 7 compatible with Karma Grip.