Have you thought about buying GoPro Stabilizer and forget shaky videos?
In this article you will find Top 7 GoPro Gimbal Stabilizers On the Market today.
Also you will understand why is a better option than limited electronic stabilization.
The 7 Best Gimbal Stabilizers for GoPro
I’ve had the opportunity to try out a few different gimbals during my productions and I’ve listed a few models here. They cover a price range from as little as $90 up to 3-4 times more, so there’s one for every pocket.
I hope that this will help you with choosing the gimbals that best suit your needs.
#1. Zhiyun Smooth 4 (3-Axis Handheld Stabilizer)
- 👍👍【Filmic Pro】The official APP for Smooth 4 is called ZY play. But Filmic...
- 👍👍【Control Panel】Integrated control panel design,Focus Pull & Zoom...
- ✅✅【MUST KNOW】Balance the gimbal before use: Slide the smartphoone in as close...
Pros: This gimbal is designed for all types of small or light cameras, including smartphones and GoPros. I love this gimbal because for just under $100 you can get a solid tool that has most professional features found in high end camera gimbals. That’s right, with the Zhiyun native app, you’ll be able to wireless connect your phone to this gimbal to unlock amazing camera features like:
- Manual focus/zoom easily adjustable from the gimbal’s handwheel
- Object tracking of human faces or other objects
- PhoneGo function for immediate movement transition during action shots
Cons: Although this gimbal features some advanced functions (typically present in high end equipment), the Zhiyun Smooth 4 doesn’t have a joystick to control its movements. So it could appear somewhat difficult to use at first (especially to people who never used a gimbal before).
#2. GoPro Karma Grip for GoPro Hero 5, 6, 7
- Capture amazingly smooth shake free video
- Compatible with GoPro body mounts
- Includes karma harness for Hero6 black/Hero5 black/Hero7 black
For an extensive review on the Karma Grip Gimbal check out: “GoPro Karma Grip Stabilizer: Full Review”
Pros: This is the official gimbal designed by GoPro which became popular when they launched the GoPro Karma Drone. I liked the high build quality and the full compatibility with the GoPro cameras itself (excluding the HERO8 unfortunately!). It smooths out all camera shakes and it’s lightweight. Easy to carry and the battery lasts for about 2 hours filming continuously.
Cons: I find it to be too pricey, especially when there are many other gimbals options that offer similar features at half of the price. Another thing that let me down was the incompatibility with the HERO8! Which I kind of understand since GoPro has improved this camera with its superior Hypersmooth 2.0.
#3. Hohem iSteady Pro 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal for GoPro 9, 10, 11
- [5.0 iSteady Tech] The 5.0 iSteady stabilizer helps you in capturing stunning and...
- [Quick Release Clip Design] The stabilizer is equipped with a quick release clip...
- [App Control Modes & One Click Videography] The hohem gimbal application works like a...
Pros: the iSteady Pro, like the Zhiyun Smooth 4 has a lot of interesting high end features, like the object tracking (for smartphones). Obviously these wouln’t work with GoPro since you’d need to install an app that allows the gimbal to communicate with the camera device, and GoPro does not support that. What stands out is its low price and the long battery life (stated to last for 12 long hours), plus the freedom to use it with both your smartphone, action cameras and compact cameras.
Cons: some iSteady Pro users experienced motor noise while recording, which can be annoying if you are planning to record clean sound. The build quality could be improved too… some users claimed the charging port to be faulty and the overall quality to be just sufficient.
#4. FeiyuTech Vimble 2A
- 【A gimbal built-in telescopic pole for sports camera】The Feiyu Vimble 2A is a...
- 【Supports HERO 8 with New Adapter】Vimble 2A has updated the new mounting adapter,...
- 【 Support Camera Control】Vimble 2A connect Gopro sports camera via WIFI and take...
Pros: The stabilization capabilities of this gimbal are absolutely amazing. The battery life is good and also the extendability is nice, especially when using in a crowd. The gimbal will not fail you during its usage and the price is more than reasonable. If you need a wearable gimbal, I totally recommend it.
Cons: Some users are concerned about no joystick-like buttons and about the fact that it often wants to face the camera in the wrong direction. Manufacturer’s hardware to mount the gimbal onto the chest strap is fragile and is hard to use with Gopro Hero8.
#5. INKEE Falcon Plus Action Camera Gimbal Stabilizer
- 【Support Media Mod】: The gimbal is connected through the fast shoes of the action...
- 【Note】 For adjusting the balance, please refer to the video at the end of the...
- 【Extra Extension rod】Extension Rod for Adjustable Selfie Stick and low angle...
Pros: This gimbal is so easy to manage and to setup, that make it perfect for the beginners, who’ve just started recording videos. Thanks to the longer pole attachment you can shoot amazing pictures from the higher point of views, changing the standard perspective.
Cons: Don’t wait miracles in stabilization, it doesn’t suit professional needs but perfect to start with. I don’t recommend you to use media mod with sponge microphone cover that comes with the gimbal.
#6. FeiyuTech SCORP Mini (All in 1 Camera Gimbal Stabilizer)
- All in One: SCORP Mini stabilizer is suitable for mirrorless camera/action...
- Lightweight and Compact: The gimbal weighs only 1.73lb and can hold up to 2.65lb. In...
- Super Anti-shake: The SCORP Mini professional video stabilizers ensures smoothness of...
Pros: This gimbal definitely has the quality I was looking for and the stabilization is impressive. Amazing Touch Screen Interface, smooth, silent, packed with everything you’ll need. Panoramic scene that it gives you opportunity to record is just stunning.
Cons: a little pricey compared to its competitors.
#7. Waterproof 3-Axis Gimbal Stabilizer Handheld for GoPro 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
- [Upgraded stability and Fast Response] This handheld gimbal stabilizer for GoPro hero...
- [IPX4 Waterproof and 12-Hour Battery Life] The IPX4 waterproof design of this gimbal...
- [Easy Remote Control] With the advanced Hohem Gimbal APP, you can control the action...
Pros: Carefully designed, this waterproof gimbal can resist water splashing from any direction. Its image stabilization is amazing and the battery life is excellent.
Cons: Too short instructions, camera cannot be controlled via the wifi connection.
Top 3 GoPro Gimbal Stabilizer Comparison
Sometimes it’s hard to make a choice.
In the table below, find out our Top 3 Picks for Gimbal Stabilizers that are available right now.
Why should you consider a Gimbal over GoPro Hypersmooth (Electronic Stabilization)?
Despite the advances in Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) that evolved into the new GoPro Hypersmooth featured from GoPro HERO 7, it still has its disadvantages and limitations:
- Electronic stabilization or Hypersmooth is not available on all GoPro resolutions and frame rates
- Hypersmooth often produces an annoying jello effect or other artifacts to your footage (especially at low light situations!)
- The frame is cropped by anywhere from 5% to 10%
Jello effect produced with Hypersmooth activated in low light conditions
The alternative to using in-camera EIS is getting a gimbal, like the GoPro Grip. Unlike the in-camera stabilization, a gimbal will stabilize the whole camera body mechanically, smoothing out most vibrations on the fly, thereby eliminating any potential jello effects commonly produced by the camera’s processor.
So, if you are looking for a crispy and detailed image out of your GoPro, even during low light situations, then switch that Hypersmooth off and consider buying a gimbal (camera stabilizer).
Watch this short tutorial to learn more.
While gimbals are great tools for extremely shaky situations and low light shoots, the ease of use of GoPro’s built-in stabilization makes it convenient in most scenarios.
For an extensive tutorial check out: “GoPro Gimbal: 5 Reasons Why You Need a Gimbal for GoPro”
GoPro Stabilization – FAQ’s
Do you really need a stabilizer if you have a Hero 7 with HyperSmooth stabilization?
It mainly depends if you are shooting in low light conditions. That is where the Hypersmooth will suffer. A gimbal will stabilize the whole camera body mechanically, smoothing out most vibrations on the fly, thereby eliminating any potential jello effects commonly produced by the camera’s processor.
Are any of these GoPro stabilizers waterproof?
Yes, some of them are waterproof or at least splash proof so that you can use it on rainy days without worrying.
GoPro Gimbal – FAQ’s
What does a GoPro gimbal do?
A gimbal it’s used to keep the camera stabilized with no vibration. This is done through 2 or 3 brushless motors that will smooth out any camera shake, and unlike electronic image stabilization done in-camera which corrects video shakes (Hypersmooth on GoPro) a gimbal will prevent those camera shakes to happen beforehand, resulting in a better stabilization method if image quality is your priority.
Still not sure about GoPro Gimbal?
Check out list of best 15 GoPro Selfie Sticks.
What is the best Gimbal for GoPro?
There are many good models on the market now a days, including the original GoPro Grip. The one that I prefer the most is definitely the Zhiyun Smooth 4 for its advanced functions at a lower price point. It’s an hybrid gimbal, usable with both action cameras and smartphones.
- Top 7 High-Speed GoPro Memory Cards
- What Is The Best GoPro Accessories Kit? GoPro Hero 8, 7, 6, 5
- Top 15 GoPro Selfie Sticks On the Market