In the ever-evolving world of videography and filmmaking, selecting the right lenses for your camera is a critical decision that can significantly impact the quality and aesthetics of your videos. Whether you’re a seasoned professional or an aspiring content creator, this comprehensive guide is your roadmap to understanding the intricate world of the best lens video to buy.
In this article, you will learn about some of the Best Video Lenses.
Read on to know more.
The Ultimate Guide to Choosing the Best Video Lenses
There are some general factors to consider when looking for a good video lens:
- The Focal Length: This determines how wide or narrow your angle of view is, and how much magnification you can achieve. For video, you may want to have a range of focal lengths to cover different scenarios, such as wide-angle shots for landscapes or interiors, medium shots for portraits or interviews, and telephoto shots for wildlife or sports. Zoom lenses offer the convenience of changing focal lengths without changing lenses, while prime lenses offer better image quality and faster apertures at a fixed focal length. Consider reading following articles: What’s The Best Focal Length For Portrait Photography?
- The Aperture: This controls how much light enters the lens and affects the depth of field and bokeh. For video, you may want to have a lens with a wide maximum aperture (f/2.8 or wider) for low-light performance and shallow depth-of-field effects. A constant aperture throughout the zoom range is also desirable, as it allows for smooth exposure transitions when zooming in or out. Some lenses have variable gaps that change depending on the focal length, which can be problematic for video. Read: F Stop Chart – Lens Aperture (Full Stops, 1/2 Stops, 1/3 Stops)
- Image Stabilization: This helps to reduce camera shake and blur when shooting handheld or in low-light situations. For video, image stabilization can be very useful, especially for longer focal lengths or slower shutter speeds. Some lenses have built-in optical image stabilization (OIS), while some cameras have in-body image stabilization (IBIS) that works with any lens. Some lenses and cameras can work together to provide even more effective stabilization.
- The Autofocus: This determines how fast and accurate the lens can focus on the subject. For video, you may want to have a lens with a silent and smooth autofocus system that does not make noise or cause focus hunting. Some lenses have special features such as linear motors, stepping motors, or direct drive motors that provide better autofocus performance for video. Some lenses also have manual focus override or focus clutch mechanisms that allow you to switch to manual focus easily.
- The Build Quality: This affects the durability and handling of the lens. For video, you may want to have a lens that is well-built and weather-sealed to withstand harsh environments and frequent use. Some lenses have metal or plastic bodies, rubberized grips, dust and moisture resistance, or other features that enhance their build quality. Some lenses also have external controls such as aperture rings, focus rings, zoom rings, or switches that allow you to adjust the settings without using the camera menu.
Some Useful Recommendations
Below mentioned are some amazing video lenses for you to choose from :
#1. Best Budget Prime Lens – Yongnuo YN 50mm f/1.8 Lens
- For Nikon Camera
- Focus distance indicator to help you adjust the distance and depth of focus
- Live view shooting is available
This is a cheap and cheerful prime lens that offers a fast aperture of f/1.8 for low-light shooting and shallow depth-of-field effects. It has a standard 50mm focal length that is suitable for portraits, street photography, and general-purpose videos. It is compatible with Canon EF and Nikon F mounts.
#2. Best Budget Zoom Lens – Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary Lens
- Internal focusing
- Superb build quality
- Focus Mode Switch
Next, this lens is a compact and lightweight zoom lens that covers a versatile range of focal lengths from wide-angle to short telephoto. It has a constant aperture of f/2.8 throughout the zoom range, which is ideal for video. The lens also has a fast and quiet autofocus system and optical image stabilization. It is compatible with Sony E and Leica L mounts.
Check out the best zoom lenses:
- 7 Best Zoom Lenses for Sony A7III
- 5 Best Zoom Lenses for Sony E Mount
- Best Zoom Lens For Canon Rebel t7
#3. Best Wide-Angle Zoom Lens – Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 Di III RXD Lens
- World's most lightweight large aperture wide-angle zoom in its class (smaller than...
- Superb image quality high mtf performance (utilizing the camera body compensation)
- The RXD stepping motor unit is exceptionally quiet
It is a wide-angle zoom lens that offers a constant aperture of f/2.8 for excellent low-light performance and depth-of-field control. The Tamron lens has a minimum focusing distance of 0.19m, which allows for close-up shots and creative perspectives. This also has a silent and smooth autofocus system and moisture-resistant construction. The lens is compatible with the Sony E mount.
Tamron lenses for Canon: 5 Best Tamron RF Lenses for Canon EOS R Cameras.
#4. Best Standard Zoom Lens – Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM Lens
- SONY EMOUNT LENS: 35mm full frame format, instant auto / manual focus selection,...
- NATURAL, LIFELIKE IMAGERY: ED and Super ED glass elements deliver breathtaking...
- REDUCED ABERRATION: Two aspherical elements and an extremely precise XA element...
The Sony Lens is a premium standard zoom lens that delivers outstanding image quality and performance. It has a constant aperture of f/2.8 for consistent exposure and bokeh throughout the zoom range. This also has a fast and accurate autofocus system, optical image stabilization, and dust and moisture resistance. It is compatible with Sony E mount.
#5. Best Telephoto Zoom Lens – Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens
- High image quality and bright f/2.8 aperture telephoto zoom RF L lens.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Optical image stabilization with up to 5 Stops of shake correction
This is a telephoto zoom lens that offers a fast aperture of f/2.8 for capturing distant subjects in low-light situations and isolating them from the background. It has a compact and lightweight design that makes it easy to carry and use. The lens also has a powerful autofocus system, optical image stabilization, and weather-sealing. It is compatible with Canon RF mount.
More telephoto lenses:
#6. Best Cinema Lens – Rokinon Xeen Cine Lens Kit
- 1 of Rokinon Xeen XN24-PL 24mm T1.5 Professional CINE Lens for PL Mount
- 1 of Rokinon Xeen XN35-PL 35mm T1.5 Professional Cine Lens for PL Mount Pro Video...
- 1 of Rokinon Xeen XN50-PL 50mm T1.5 Professional CINE Lens for PL Mount
It is a set of cinema lenses that are designed for professional video production. They have manual focus and aperture rings with standard gears for use with follow-focus systems. They also have consistent color rendition, minimal distortion, and high resolution across the frame. These are available in various mounts, such as Canon EF, Nikon F, Sony E, Micro Four Thirds, and PL.
#7. Best Full-Frame Prime Lens – Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM
- Compact, Lightweight Fixed 50 millimeter Focal Length Lens.
- Large F, 1.8 Aperture for Low-Light Photography and Creative Background Blur
- A Stepping Motor (Gear-Type STM) Provides Smooth and Quiet Continuous AF During Video...
This lens is a full-frame prime lens that offers a bright aperture of f/1.8 for low-light shooting and beautiful bokeh effects. It has a standard 50mm focal length that is ideal for portraits, landscapes, and everyday video. The lens also has a smooth and quiet autofocus system, a customizable control ring, and a compact design. It is compatible with Canon RF mount.
#8. Best Full-Frame Zoom Lens – Nikkor Z 17-28mm f/2.8
- Large f/2.8 Aperture | Fast, bright and sharp across the entire zoom range
- Wide-Angle Zoom Range | Covers a versatile 17mm to 28mm range that’s great for...
- Beautiful Background Blur | Shallow depth of field makes sharp subjects stand out...
This is a full-frame wide-angle zoom lens that offers a constant aperture of f/2.8 for excellent low-light performance and depth of field control. It has a versatile range of focal lengths that can capture dynamic landscapes, interiors, architecture, and more. The lens also has a fast and silent autofocus system, optical image stabilization, and dust and drip resistance. It is compatible with the Nikon Z mount.
#9. Best APS-C Prime Lens – Sony E 11mm F1.8
- This incredibly compact and lightweight ultra-wide-angle 11mm APS-C prime offers...
- The small size and low weight of the lens makes it a perfect match for compact APS-C...
- An 11 mm field of view and large F1.8 aperture make it easy to shoot subjects against...
The Sony E lens is an APS-C prime lens that offers an ultra-wide angle of view equivalent to 16mm on full-frame cameras. It has a fast aperture of f/1.8 for capturing stunning night scenes and creating dramatic perspectives. This also has a smooth and quiet autofocus system, an aspherical element to reduce aberrations, and a metal body. It is compatible with Sony E mount.
More lenses for Sony E: 5 Best Zoom Lenses for Sony E Mount.
#10. Best APS-C Zoom Lens – Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7 Leica DG Vario-Summilux ASPH Lens
- Leica DG vario-summilux – Leica camera ag’s strict quality standards optimized...
- F1. 7 full range – F. 17 high-speed aperture brightness is available across the...
- Stepless aperture – a stepless “De-Clicked” aperture ring and micro-step Drive...
It is an APS-C zoom lens that offers an impressive range of focal lengths equivalent to 20-50mm on full-frame cameras. This has a constant aperture of f/1.7 throughout the zoom range, which is rare for such a wide-angle lens. The lens also has a fast and precise autofocus system, optical image stabilization, and weather-sealing. It is compatible with Micro Four Thirds mount.
#11. Best L-mount Prime Lens – Panasonic Lumix S 18mm F1.8
- A Compact, Versatile 18mm Lens: F1.8 large aperture lens provides high resolution...
- Great for Landscapes, Astrophotography, and Architecture: The S-S18 has a similar...
- Video Support: Excels in video recording, with minimal focus breathing and smooth...
The L-mount prime lens that offers a wide-angle view equivalent to 27mm on full-frame cameras is the Panasonic Lumix S lens. It has a bright aperture of f/1.8 for low-light shooting and shallow depth-of-field effects. This lens also has a fast and silent autofocus system, a dust and splash-resistant design, and a compact and lightweight body. It is compatible with L mount.
#12. Best L-mount Zoom Lens – Sony E PZ 10-20mm F4 G
- The world's smallest, lightest ultra-wide-angle constant F4 APS-C power zoom lens...
- Internal zoom and focus allows for the lens to maintain its length when focusing or...
- Expand your possibilities for visual expression with the power zoom system, making it...
It is an L-mount zoom lens that offers a wide-angle to standard range of focal lengths equivalent to 15-30mm on full-frame cameras. This has a constant aperture of f/4 throughout the zoom range, which is suitable for video. The lens also has a power zoom function that allows for smooth and precise zooming, optical image stabilization, and dust and moisture resistance. It is compatible with L mount.
#13. Best X-mount Prime Lens – Fujinon XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS WR
- A new weather resistant design, same optics: Some things should never change, and...
- Redesigned for enhanced stability: Added stability comes to XF10-24mmF4 R OIS WR lens...
- You asked, we listened: Incorporating user feedback into our products is in our DNA,...
This is an X-mount zoom lens that offers a wide-angle to standard range of focal lengths equivalent to 15-36mm on full-frame cameras. It has a constant aperture of f/4 throughout the zoom range, which is ideal for video. The lens also has an optical image stabilization system that reduces camera shake, a weather-resistant construction, and an aperture ring. It is compatible with X mount.
#14. Best X-mount Zoom Lens – Fujinon XF 18-120mm F4 LM PZ WR
- XF18-120mmF4 R LM PZ WR is the first X Series XF lens engineered in collaboration...
- Serious moviemakers demand full control over the creative process. And with...
- Zoom lenses are rarely used with gimbal stabilization devices because changing the...
The Fujinon 18-120mm is an X-mount zoom lens that offers a standard to telephoto range of focal lengths equivalent to 27-180mm on full-frame cameras. It has a constant aperture of f/4 throughout the zoom range, which is suitable for video. The lens also has a linear motor that provides fast and quiet autofocus, optical image stabilization, and weather-sealing. It is compatible with X mount.
#15. Best Premium Prime Lens – Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN Art
- Prime Lens
- The Record-High Optical Performance
- Lightweight And Compact
Lastly, this is a premium prime lens that offers a fast aperture of f/1.4 for low-light shooting and stunning bokeh effects. It has a telephoto focal length that is perfect for portraits, weddings, and events. The lens also has a smooth and accurate autofocus system, optical image stabilization, and dust and splashproof design. It is compatible with Sony E and Leica L mounts.
Did You Make Up Your Mind Yet?
Selecting the best video lenses for your projects is an art form in itself. Choosing the best lens depends on many factors like your needs, budget, technical specifications, etc. and there is no perfect pick. You can choose the one that works best for your criteria. The Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN Art is one of the most impressive lenses for video.
The “best” video lens can vary from person to person and project to project. It’s essential to prioritize your creative vision and goals. As technology advances and new lenses hit the market, stay curious and continue to expand your knowledge. Videography is an ever-evolving field, and your journey toward choosing the best video lenses is just the beginning of your exciting creative endeavors.
Thanks for reading! 🙏
I hope this guide helped you choose the best lens video. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!