The GoPro Hero 12 Light Mod is a compact and somewhat pricey accessory that GoPro offers for low-light conditions. I’ve been using it since its release years ago in a different scenarios, at beach parties in the Philippines and while skiing in Bulgaria. Now, I’m ready to address a question you might have: Is it worth it?
In this article, you’ll discover the primary features of this accessory, as well as three budget-friendly alternative options.
- Light Mod comes with a light diffuser, a 2-finger adapter, and a USB-C cable
- It works only with Media Mod, that is sold separately
- You can adjust color temperature and brightness manually
- It is designed to be tiny but powerful
What is The GoPro Hero 12 Light Mod
GoPro Hero 12 Light Mod is an accessory that will help you create high-quality footage in low-light conditions.
- 4 levels of brightness—up to 200 lumens—for crisp detail
- Built tough and waterproof to 33ft (10m)
- Built-in rechargeable battery with up to 6 hours of runtime
It’s a robust and straightforward LED light that exhibits a singular button atop its surface. On the opposite side, a shoe-style mount stands ready to attach to your GoPro setup.
The front of the Light Mod is a canvas of brilliance, featuring an array of LEDs that, when activated, bring your surroundings to life in remarkable clarity. A spring-loaded port discreetly conceals the USB-C port, ensuring protection when not in use. This accessory is more than just an add-on; it’s a creative companion for your adventures.
The package that arrives with your GoPro Hero 12 Light Mod is more than just a simple LED light. It’s an ensemble designed to enhance your creative toolkit. I love the fact that besides the Light Mod itself, you’ll find a Light Diffuser, a 2-finger Adapter, and a USB-C Cable.
Light Mod attaches to the camera with a help of a GoPro Hero 12 Media Mod, that is sold separately.
GoPro Media Mod
- Built-in directional mic highlights voice audio and reduces ambient noise
- Tough, weather-resistant construction withstands the elements
- 2 cold-shoe mounts to attach your favorite lights, mics or LCD screens
In this section, I’ll present you all the best features GoPro Hero 12 Light Mod has:
- Compact and Powerful: The Light Mod’s compact form houses immense power. It’s a high-intensity source of light that fits in the palm of your hand, making it an ideal tool for adventurers on the move.
- Waterproof Mastery: This versatile companion isn’t afraid of water. With its waterproof capabilities reaching depths of up to 33 feet, it’s perfect for both surface and underwater adventures.
- Brightness at Your Fingertips: The Light Mod boasts four levels of brightness. From a gentle glow to a powerful beam, you have complete control over your lighting environment, ensuring your footage shines, whatever the conditions.
- Uninterrupted Filming: Equipped with a built-in rechargeable battery, this light source offers up to 6 hours of continuous runtime, allowing you to film without interruption or concern.
- Customizable Lighting: The color temperature can be adjusted to adapt to your specific filming conditions. This feature ensures that your footage always maintains the desired mood and tone.
- Versatile Mounting: The Light Mod can be seamlessly integrated into your GoPro setup. Whether you attach it directly to your Hero 12 using a Media Mod or use it as a stand-alone light with GoPro mounts, it’s designed to be as adaptable as your creativity.
- Overdrive Mode: For thrill-seekers and adventurers, the Light Mod offers an Overdrive mode, pushing brightness levels to the maximum for up to 30 seconds. It’s the ideal setting for capturing those intense, fleeting moments during your escapades.
Level 1: Low Intensity – 20 lumens (Battery duration: 6 hours)
Level 2: Moderate Intensity – 60 lumens (Battery duration: 2 hours)
Level 3: High Intensity – 125 lumens (Battery duration: 1 hour)
Level 4: Overdrive Setting – 200 lumens (Operational for up to 30 seconds consecutively)
Strobe: Rapid intermittent flashing mode.
The GoPro Light Mod isn’t just an accessory; it’s an integral part of your filming experience, a must-have component of the GoPro Hero 12 Creator Kit. It’s designed small but extremely effective to work in a low light conditions.
3 Best Alternatives
For those who seek a more economical path to illuminate their adventures, I found some great alternatives:
Suptig 60 LED Video Light
- Perfect compatibility: Suptig Dive Lights Built-in 5200mAh rechargeable lithium...
- Special design: Lighting and charging can be done at the same time, It is not just a...
- 4 Lighting Modes: Suptig light has 4 lighting modes, Satisfy you in different...
Diving deep into the world of affordability, the Suptig Dive Lights come to the rescue. These dive lights are a versatile addition to your filming arsenal. Their built-in 5200mAh rechargeable lithium battery ensures extended shooting sessions without a hint of interruption.
What’s remarkable is that this design allows simultaneous lighting and charging, guaranteeing that your adventures continue unhindered. With four distinct lighting modes, the Suptig Dive Lights adapt effortlessly to various shooting environments, whether you’re capturing the beauty of the ocean’s depths or exploring a dimly lit cave.
Their waterproof capabilities extend to an impressive 164 feet, rendering them perfect for underwater photography and videography. The inclusion of a Micro USB cable ensures you can charge these lights on the fly, so you’re always ready to capture the moment.
Hongdak High Power Dimmable Waterproof LED Video
- 【 Great Diving Lights】HONGDAK Waterproof Video Light have a compact design easy...
- 【Widely Compatible】Perfect compatibility with GoPro Hero11, Hero10, Hero 9,...
- 【 Wide Angle Lighting】This light mount illuminates at wide angle at 300Lumens...
For those who seek an option that combines resilience with brightness, this Hongdak LED light is a stellar choice. Constructed from stainless steel and durable PC material, it’s virtually rust-proof, ensuring longevity in the face of challenging conditions.
With an impressive brightness level of 400 lumens, this LED light offers ample illumination that extends over a wide angle, ideal for capturing detailed shots in low-light scenarios.Waterproof down to 147 feet, the Hongdak LED light is primed for underwater adventures, allowing you to delve into the depths without concern for the quality of your lighting.
Flash WP12 Waterproof (131ft/40m) | Neewer
For those with a penchant for underwater exploration, this Neewer LED light is the perfect tool to illuminate your aquatic adventures. With waterproof capabilities extending up to 131 feet, it’s designed for capturing the vibrant beauty of underwater worlds.
It is useful to take vibrant underwater shots with the color filters included. You also have a choice of five lighting modes: Lightning, TV, Paparazzi, Faulty Bulb, and Fireworks. This versatility ensures that your underwater shots are not only illuminated but also carry the right mood and tone. The wide-angle setting allows you to illuminate the entire scene, making it ideal for capturing the mesmerizing beauty of the underwater realm.
Why Do I Prefer GoPro Hero 12 Light Mod
The GoPro Hero 12 Light Mod might be a bit on the pricier side, but trust me, it’s my go-to for those tricky low-light situations. Its compact size combined with the ability to tweak brightness and color temperature just seals the deal for me.
Now, I’ve also taken a look at some other light mods for you, and they’re fantastic if you’re keeping an eye on your budget. They might not offer the same versatility and, honestly, they’re a tad bigger.
But hey, if you’re into underwater filming, the Suptig 60 LED Video Light might just be your new best friend. It’s designed to shine bright even in the deeper depths!
Thanks for reading! 🙏
I hope this guide helped you learn about whether the GoPro Hero 12 Light Mod is worth buying, or whether you’re better off with its alternatives. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!