Are you an avid diver looking to capture the beauty of the underwater world on camera? Or are you planning a diving trip and want to make sure you have the best camera for the job? Look no further! In this blog post, we’ve rounded up the 7 best cameras for diving today, suitable for all budgets.
Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned professional, we’ve got you covered with our top picks for the best camera for diving.
So, grab your wetsuit and let’s dive into the world of underwater photography!
Best Cameras for Diving – What Specs to Look For?
Before we dive into the list of the best diving cameras, it’s important to understand what specs to look for when choosing a camera for underwater photography. So, let’s take a closer look at the specs that matter most for underwater photography.
- Waterproof Rating: One of the most important specs to look for when choosing a diving camera is the waterproof rating. This tells you how deep and how long the camera can be submerged without getting damaged. Look for cameras with a waterproof rating of at least 30ft or more.
- Image Quality: Of course, you want your underwater photos and videos to look as stunning as possible. Look for cameras with high-resolution sensors and good low-light performance. Additionally, consider if the camera has image stabilization features to help reduce blurring caused by camera shake.
- Lens Quality: A camera’s lens plays a crucial role in capturing high-quality images. Look for lenses with a wide aperture, which will allow more light to enter and produce brighter and more vibrant images. Additionally, consider if the camera has interchangeable lenses or a zoom lens, depending on your needs.
- Durability: Underwater photography can be challenging, and it’s important to choose a camera that can withstand the rigors of the environment. Look for cameras with durable construction and shockproof and freeze-proof capabilities.
- Shooting Modes: Some cameras come with specific shooting modes designed for underwater photography, such as white balance adjustment to accommodate the color shift that happens underwater. Look for cameras that offer these specific modes or features to make your underwater photography experience easier and more successful.
By considering these specs, you can narrow down your options and choose the best diving camera for your needs. With that in mind, let’s take a look at our top picks for the best diving cameras suitable for all budgets.
7 Best Cameras for Diving
Here are the seven best cameras for diving:
#1. Sealife Micro 3.0
- POWERFUL IMAGE SENSOR - 16MP IMX083 CMOS 1/2.3" image sensor for sharp colorful...
- INTUITIVE SETUP - Easy setup with five Land & Sea scene modes, three built-in digital...
- HIGH-RESOLUTION IMAGES – The Micro 3.0 camera shoots 16MP images in single and...
The SeaLife Micro 3.0 is a fantastic underwater camera that’s perfect for scuba diving, and you won’t need a separate housing until you reach depths of up to 200 feet. But, even if you’re not a scuba diver, it’s a durable and user-friendly option for any water-based activity.
With its 4K video recording at 30fps and 16MP stills, the SeaLife Micro 3.0 lets you capture the stunning colors and life that the depths have to offer. Its fixed focus f/2.8 aperture has a range of 38cm to infinity. Navigating the controls is easy, thanks to the large buttons that are easy to manage while underwater. The menu display is also intuitive, and you’ll get used to the layout in no time. This feature is especially useful for scuba divers who have more critical things to focus on during their dive than camera controls.
One of the best things about the SeaLife Micro 3.0 is that it has 64GB of storage and up to three hours of battery life, so you won’t have to worry about potential leakage points like an SD card slot. With this camera, you can explore the depths and capture all the breathtaking moments that come with it.
#2. GoPro Hero 11 Black
- Revolutionary New Image Sensor: expansive field of view ever on a HERO camera out of...
- Unbelievable Image Quality: With 5.3K video that gives you 91% more resolution than...
- High-Res Photos + Videos, High Frame Rate: HERO11 Black’s new image sensor boosts...
The GoPro Hero 11 Black is the latest and greatest in the GoPro Hero series, and it’s packed with some seriously cool features. The Enduro Battery is now included, which means you’ll get longer battery life and better performance without having to buy it separately. This is especially great news if you’re planning on taking your camera out on the water, as you can now shoot up to one and a half hours of 5K video!
Speaking of video, the quality is absolutely stunning, especially when shooting in 5K at 60fps. You can also pick out stills from your videos, and live stream your underwater adventures on Facebook! This camera is perfect for high-energy water-based activities like white-water rafting, jet skiing, and surfing. Even snorkelers will love the results, though scuba divers will need extra housing since it’s only waterproof to depths of 33 feet. All in all, the GoPro Hero 11 is an action camera that is sure to capture all your aquatic adventures in stunning detail.
Find the most useful tips and tricks on underwater shots with Hero 11: GoPro Hero 11 Diving Tips for Incredible Underwater Videos.
#3. Olympus Tough TG-6
- Water proof (50 feet /15 meter), dust proof, shock proof (7 feet / 2.1 meter), crush...
- High resolution F2.0 lens, maximum 8x zoom, true pic VIII, back illuminated CMOS...
- Variable macro system comprised of 4 macro shooting modes, magnified shooting up to 1...
If you’re into water-based activities, the Olympus Tough TG-6 is an amazing camera that you won’t want to miss out on. The only thing to keep in mind is that scuba divers who want to go deeper than 50 feet will need to purchase separate housing. But don’t worry, because you can still capture some incredible shots at shallower depths where you’ll find the most vibrant coral and fish, not to mention the bright, sunny skies that enhance the colors.
With 12MP image quality, you can expect great results for regular prints. However, if you plan on enlarging your shots to poster size, you may want to consider a camera with higher resolution. The videos are 4K quality, although at 30fps, and the optical length ranges from 25 to 100mm. The Olympus Tough TG-6 is not only waterproof, but it’s also incredibly durable. It’s shockproof, dustproof, crush-proof, and freeze-proof up to 14 degrees Fahrenheit. This makes it an excellent choice for all sorts of rugged activities where you want a camera that can keep up with your adventures!
#4. Kodak Pixpro WPZ2
- Waterproof to 15m (49') - 2m (6') Shockproof Rating - Dustproof
- WiFi Connectivity - 1080P Full HD Video - Vlogging Camera
- 16 MegaPixel BSI CMOS Sensor - 4X Optical Zoom - Digital Image Stabilization
If you’re on a budget but still want a durable and waterproof camera, the Kodak PIXPRO WPZ2 is an excellent option. It’s a straightforward point-and-shoot camera that you can take down to depths of up to 49 feet. This depth is perfect for snorkelers and shallow divers who want to capture the colorful coral and ocean life near the surface.
Although this camera only records 1080p videos, you can still take 16MP stills, which is comparable to more expensive cameras. Its f/3 aperture, ISO range of 100 to 3,200, and electronic image stabilization make it possible to take stunning pictures in low light. Plus, the 4x optical zoom lets you keep your distance and still capture detailed shots of nervous creatures like fish and turtles. What’s more, in addition to being waterproof, it’s also dustproof and shockproof, making it an excellent choice for outdoor activities on dry land.
#5. Insta360 One RS
- 4K 60fps & 48MP Photos: Totally rugged and durable action cam with a brand new 1/2"...
- FlowState Stabilization: Get buttery smooth shots, no matter the action. With the new...
- Active HDR & 6K Widescreen: Take your shots to the next level with innovative modes...
If you’re looking for a camera that can withstand the rough and tumble of extreme sports and water-based activities, then you’ll want to check out the Insta360 One RS. It’s built to last and can withstand tough conditions, including being waterproof up to 16 feet (5m). And if you’re planning on deep water diving up to 196ft (60m), you can get the Insta360 ONE RS/R Dive Case to take it with you.
But it’s not just about being tough and durable. The camera packs a punch with a brand new 1/2″ 48MP image sensor, allowing you to capture incredibly detailed videos and photos. And with the 4K Boost Lens, you’ll get high-quality shots with smooth and clear visuals. The Insta360 One RS also has FlowState stabilization built into the camera, so you don’t have to worry about editing out shaky footage. Your shots will be buttery smooth, no matter what kind of action you’re capturing.
Find the best SD cards for the Insta360 One RS: insta360 One RS SD Card (10 Best Picks).
#6. Ricoh WG-70
- THE ALL-WEATHER ADVENTURE CAMERA: A rugged chassis you can rely on in the harshest...
- HIGH RESOLUTION WITH ALL THE MUST-HAVE FEATURES: With a high-performance image...
- WATERPROOF 14M: With features that include uncompromising waterproofing - good for 2...
The Ricoh WG-70 is a camera that knows its strengths and plays to them. It’s a rugged, waterproof, and dependable option that delivers great images of all your aquatic activities. While it may not have 4K video capabilities like the pricier Olympus Tough TG-6, it still holds its own as a midrange contender.
With an underwater limit of 46 feet before housing is needed, this camera is perfect for snorkelers, freedivers, and other aquatic adventurers who don’t need to go too deep. Plus, its Digital Microscope Mode allows for some incredible close-up shots of curious ocean life, and the built-in LED microlights provide additional illumination when needed. While the video quality maxes out at 1080p/30fps, the camera shines in capturing still images. At 16MP, the photos have good colors and plenty of details, especially in sunny conditions. The Underwater Mode feature further optimizes color, contrast, and white balance for more natural-looking images.
#7. DJI Osmo Action 3
- 4K HDR Video, 1 Billion Colors - HDR video delivers vivid yet natural details, even...
- Smooth, Level, Incredible - Whether you're skiing, skydiving, or biking around on...
- Built to Endure - With a 160-min max battery life, and even 150 minutes of continuous...
If you’re on the hunt for a budget-friendly alternative to the GoPro Hero 11 action camera, you might want to check out the DJI Osmo Action 3. It’s a definite step up from its predecessor and provides some competition for the GoPro. This camera is durable, tough, and waterproof up to 52.5 feet, which makes it perfect for snorkelers, surfers, and shallow divers. If you’re an avid scuba diver and love to explore the murky depths, you’ll need to put it in a protective housing.
The DJI Osmo Action 3 has many useful features that are ideal for water activities, including a magnetic and clamp-based mounting system, straightforward controls, and an intuitive menu system. It also has fantastic image stabilization and a horizon leveler that is just as good as its GoPro rival. When it comes to video quality, the DJI Osmo Action 3 is on par with the GoPro Hero 11. It can capture footage in 4K at 120fps, although it can’t match the Hero 11’s incredible 5K videos.
Note that the camera doesn’t come with an SD card. To choose the best one read: 7 Best SD Cards for DJI Osmo Action 1, 2 &3.
Choosing the Best Camera for Your Water Adventures
All the cameras mentioned in this article are great for capturing your water-based adventures, whether you’re a diver, surfer, or snorkeler. Each camera has its own unique features and benefits that cater to different needs, preferences, and budgets. However, if you’re looking for the best all-around choice, the Sealife Micro 3.0 is the way to go. Its ability to go to great depths without requiring a housing makes it a top pick for divers, and its other features like 4K video and image stabilization are also impressive.
On the other hand, for those on a budget, the Kodak Pixpro WPZ2 offers excellent value for money. It may not have all the bells and whistles of some of the other cameras, but it still delivers quality images and is waterproof up to 50 feet.
Ultimately, the best camera for you will depend on your own needs, preferences, and budget. By considering the features and specifications of each camera, you can make an informed decision and find the perfect device to capture your underwater memories.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn about some of the best cameras for diving. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!
- GoPro Underwater: Guide for Settings, Filming & Accessories
- 12 Best Cameras for Underwater Photography (Budget Picks)
- 10 Best Fishing Cameras for Underwater Photo & Video
- 5 Best Waterproof Drones with Camera