Macro cameras are a great asset for anyone looking to capture clean and sharp close-ups. Want the best macro camera for your close-up photography needs? Look no further! In this post, you’ll find some of the best (and affordable) macro cameras for shooting videos and stills in 2023. The list includes different kinds of macro cameras – point-and-shoot systems, mirrorless cameras, and DSLRs.
Read on to know more.
7 Best (Affordable) Macro Cameras
Here are the seven best macro cameras in 2023 that are easy on the pocket too:
#1. Olympus TG-5
Our top pick camera for macro photography, the Olympus TG-5 lets you shoot high-quality macro shots with a superb level of detail. The close-up macro shots look great with a 25-point contrast-detect AF system that works flawlessly. The camera is fast and reliable, with impressive autofocus capabilities that make it ideal for macro photography.
The Olympus TG-5 features a range of focal lengths to let you focus on the object. You can take shots from as close as 0.4 inches (1 centimeter) from the object. In addition, you also get a microscope focusing mode that lets you bring the focus even closer. The camera has a 4K video mode and can also capture 1080p footage in slow motion (120 fps).
Best DSLR for Professional Macro Photography
#2. Nikon D5600 DSLR
- AF P DX 18 55mm f/3.5 5.6G VR Lens
- SnapBridge Bluetooth and Wi Fi with NFC
- ISO 100 25600 and 5 fps Shooting
Just like the previous camera, the Nikon D5600 DSLR is a great option for shooting some awesome macro shots. Featuring a 24-MP sensor, this camera lets you focus as close as 25cm from your subject. Note that this distance is measured from the sensor. The actual distance is much smaller – around 10cm.
So, just place the camera at the relevant distance from the subject, and see how awesome the macro world appears to your eyes. When it comes to video recording the Nikon D5600 DSLR supports Full HD 1080p video recording at 60 fps.
Good for Beginners
#3. Canon EOS Rebel T6i DSLR
- 242 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor, ISO 100–12800 (expandable to H: 25600)
- EOS Full HD Movie mode helps capture brilliant results in MP4 format
- High-speed continuous shooting up to 50 fps allows you to capture fast action
Featuring a 24-MP APS-C format sensor, the Canon EOS Rebel T6i is one of the best DSLRs for macro photography, especially for beginners. Built with high-quality materials, this camera feels pretty solid for an entry-level DSLR. What makes it really easy to use is its quick menu that can be accessed just by pressing the Q button.
The Canon EOS Rebel T6i is capable of capturing high-quality images with stunning color reproduction even in low light conditions. When using Live View mode, it can quickly shoot objects while you are holding the camera. Overall, I highly recommend using the Canon T6i macro camera for beginners in close-up photography.
Durable & Waterproof, 5X Zoom
#4. Nikon Coolpix W300
- Waterproof, freeze proof, shockproof and dustproof adventure camera with extra...
- Stunning high resolution photos, 4K Ultra HD videos, Time-lapse videos, Super lapse...
- 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lens with telephoto power and Hybrid VR image stabilization;...
For those who want a durable and waterproof macro camera, the Nikon Coolpix W300 is a perfect choice. Featuring a 16-MP CMOS sensor, this camera is capable of delivering some excellent shots. However, please note that you can shoot only JPEG files with this camera because the RAW format is not supported.
Being rugged, the Nikon Coolpix W300 is great to be used outdoors. This macro camera is safe for all weather conditions since it’s waterproof. To activate the macro mode, all you need to do is press a button on the bottom of the controller. What’s more, there are multiple shooting modes that let you take some epic close-up shots, including Smart Portrait, Auto Shot, Pet Portraits, and Underwater shooting modes. Besides, the 5X optical zoom capability is something that we really like in this camera.
Premium Compact Camera With a Large Sensor
#5. Ricoh GR III Digital Compact Camera
- 24 MP CMOS Sensor with accelerator unit helps achieve remarkable image quality; 3...
- 3 inches Air gapless Capacitive Touch LCD Screen makes controlling the GR III event...
- The GR III features a hybrid AF system combining a contrast type AF mechanism,...
A premium compact camera with a large sensor, the Ricoh GR III is not a dedicated macro camera, but its macro capabilities are worth mentioning. Featuring a fixed 18mm f/2.8 lens paired with a 24-MP APS-C sensor, this camera offers some beautiful shots with stunning colors and details. The camera also boasts a 3-inch touch LCD screen along with three control dials that are highly customizable. You just need to press a button to activate the macro mode.
In macro mode, the camera lets the lens extend further out from the housing and focus as close as 6cm from the subject. And, there’s also an autofocus system while capturing macro shots, which feels pretty amazing. Therefore, this camera gives you the best of both worlds. You can use it for casual shooting as well as for some epic macro shots.
Good for Budget Buyers
#6. Fujifilm X-T10
- 16MP X-Trans CMOS II Sensor W/ EXR Processor II
- New Auto Focus System - Single, Zone, Wide x AF-S, AF-C - 3D Tracking (Wide x AF-C) -...
- 2.36M dot OLED Electronic VF - World’s shortest display lag time 0.005sec. - 0.62x...
The Fujifilm X-T10 lets you shoot even the smallest of objects with incredible clarity and level of detail. The results it offers are always bright and sharp. Featuring a 16-MP X-Trans CMOS II Sensor, the camera has multiple color modes too, including Astia and Velvia, and more.
The Fujifilm X-T10 is designed to be compact. It weighs just 13.4 oz/381 grams. The camera offers High-Speed Continuous shooting at around 8.0 fps and Low-Speed Continuous shooting at around 3.0 fps. Overall, this affordable camera produces natural-looking and attractive macro shots.
Another Great Budget Option
#7. Panasonic Lumix LX10
- POINT-AND-SHOOT CAMERA: Large, 1-inch 20.1-megapixel MOS sensor plus 3X zoom LEICA...
- TILTING SELFIE DISPLAY: Rear touch-enabled 3-inch LCD display (1040K dots) tilts...
- 4K VIDEO CAPTURE: 4K QFHD video recording (3840 x 2160), plus exclusive...
Finally, the Panasonic Lumix LX10 is another wonderful option for you if you’re on a budget. Powered by a 20.1-MP 1,0″ CMOS sensor, this camera boasts a 5-axis HYBRID optical image stabilization which lets you shoot incredibly stable shots even in low light conditions. When it comes to handheld macro photography, this camera is superb. It lets you use focus stacking, and allows for cleaner and crisper shots with stunning attention to the depth of field.
The zoom lens in this camera comes with a focal length range of 24–72mm. In macro mode, you can focus from as close as 3cm. All in all, this one is a great affordable macro camera to buy.
Conclusion – Which Macro Camera to Choose?
So, these are some of the best (and affordable) cameras for macro photography, in our opinion. If you want to go for simply the best one, then you must go for the Olympus TG-5. This brilliant camera with impressive autofocus capabilities is our top pick. Other than that, if you’re on a budget, then the Fujifilm X-T10 is a great option too.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn about some of the best (and affordable) macro cameras for shooting videos and stills in 2023. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!
- 7 Best Mirrorless Cameras under $1000 for Video in 2023
- 10 BEST Underwater Cameras for Snorkeling & Diving in 2023
- 5 BEST Cameras Under 100 Dollars (Beginner’s Guide 2023)
- 5 BEST 4k Point and Shoot Cameras under $500 (Guide 2023)
- 7 Best Cameras Under $400 for Photo & Video