Fishing is an activity full of some memorable moments, incredibly beautiful scenes, and if you’re lucky – trophy-sized fish! Therefore, you must carry a camera with you to capture such stunning moments to share it with your friends later. So, there’s nothing better than a GoPro action camera for this highly unpredictable activity involving sudden, rapid moves, and of course water.
However, you must be wondering which GoPro you should buy, considering the fact that there are many GoPro models available in the market – new and old. So in this article you will learn about the five best GoPros that you can buy for fishing today.
Let’s dive in!
7 Best GoPro for Fishing
Enlisted below are the 7 best GoPro cameras for fishing:
#1. GoPro Hero 12 Black: Our Top Pick!
The GoPro Hero 12 is an outstanding companion for fishing enthusiasts. Its enhanced High Dynamic Range (HDR) for both videos and photos ensures that the nuances of nature – from sunlit ripples to shadowed underwaters – are captured with true-to-life color and precision, making it perfect for documenting those serene fishing moments or that exciting big catch.
With a 5.3K video resolution, it offers incredibly detailed footage, allowing anglers to capture the subtle movements of fish or the gleam of the lure with cinematic clarity. Moreover, the waterproof design, resilient up to 33ft (10m), makes it suitable for both boat and kayak fishing or even those unexpected moments when things get a bit splashy.
The extended battery life ensures that those long hours spent waiting for a bite are covered without the need for frequent charging. Combining these features with the HyperSmooth 6.0 stabilization, even the rocking of a boat or the excitement of reeling in a big catch will result in smooth, shake-free footage. For fishing aficionados looking to document their adventures or study their technique, the Hero 12 is an unparalleled choice.
#2. GoPro Hero 11 Black
The GoPro Hero 11 is a fantastic tool for fishing aficionados, providing a blend of robust quality, top-tier stabilization, and excellent image resolution. Its revolutionary new image sensor delivers expansive field of view, allowing fishermen to capture more of the sky and water, creating an immersive experience of the fishing environment.
The ability to shoot in 5.3K video brings in 91% more resolution than 4K, ensuring that every moment, from the quiet anticipation to the thrilling catch, is captured with sharp detail and dynamic range. The camera’s HyperSmooth stabilization ensures that the footage remains stable and smooth, regardless of water conditions or movements during a catch, making it easier to focus on the fishing experience.
The high frame rate allows for fluid motion in videos and the ability to extract high-quality stills, a bonus for those looking to analyze or share their catches in crystal clear detail. Lastly, the water-repelling lens cover aids in maintaining clear shots, free of water spots, and other artifacts, adding to its suitability for any fishing adventure. Whether you’re on a tranquil lake or battling the high seas, the Hero 11 stands out as a great companion for capturing your fishing exploits.
#3. GoPro Hero 10 Black
- Revolutionary Processor: Faster. Smoother. Better. The powerful new GP2 engine...
- High-Res Photos plus Videos, High Frame Rate: Step up to the sharpest-shooting GoPro...
- Unbelievable Image Quality: Shoot with fine detail, realistic textures and stunning...
The GoPro Hero 10 Black is one of the most advanced GoPro cameras today. But, that also means that it’s one of the most expensive. So, if you’re willing to shell out more than 400 bucks for this wonderful camera, then you can’t go wrong with the Hero 10 Black for some great fishing shots.
Thanks to the powerful GP-2 Processor, the overall performance of Hero 10 is significantly better than Hero 9. It bumps up photo resolution up to 23 megapixels, and can shoot up to 5.3K videos at 60 frames per second (FPS); 4K up to 120 FPS; and 2.7K at 240 FPS. HyperSmooth – 4.0 is an upgraded EIS version that this camera has for steadier video. You can now apply stabilization to higher video resolutions (5.3K30, 4K60, and 2.7K120).
#4. GoPro Hero 9 Black: Still a Great Choice today!
- 5K Video - Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining...
- 20MP Photo with SuperPhoto - Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And...
- Front Display plus Rear Touch Screen - A new, larger rear touch screen with touch...
The GoPro Hero 9 Black is an incredibly wonderful action camera. It’s able to shoot videos at 5K resolution (30fps) and 20 MP pictures. Both these specs are the best so for any GoPro. Add to it an upgraded HyperSmooth 3.0 stabilization (available for both 4K/60fps and 5K/30fps), you’re sure to get some amazing fishing shots with impressive detail!
In addition to this, you also get the latest version of TimeWarp mode, an all-new color screen, and a bigger battery that gives you more run time. All in all, this is the perfect wonder gear that you can take along for shooting your video while fishing.
#5. GoPro Hero 8 Black : Budget 4K Action Camera
- HyperSmooth 2.0: HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization: On, High and Boost....
- Streamlined Design: The re-imagined shape is more pocketable, and folding fingers at...
- Expandable Mods: Vloggers, pro filmmakers and aspiring creators can do more than ever...
Although it’s been quite a while since this model launched, the GoPro Hero 8 Black has some amazing specs that make it one of our top contenders for the best GoPro for fishing. Coming at about 100 bucks less than the latest Hero 9, this camera provides a fairly wonderful user experience.
The Hero 8 has an upgraded 2.0 version of HyperSmooth and TimeWarp, therefore providing stunning footage of your fishing action or other outdoor activities. It provides a pretty decent maximum video resolution of 4K/60fps and packs in a 12 MP image sensor for pictures. Plus, this camera has wind-resistant microphones. So, you get crystal clear audio of your footage.
#6. GoPro Max 360 : Best for 360-degree Fishing Shots
- Three Cameras in One: Maximize your creative freedom. With MAX you can shoot...
- Max HyperSmooth: MAX gives you unbreakable stabilization by using 180-degree capture...
- Live Streaming in 1080p: Shoot in HERO mode and share while you’re there. Live...
If you’re really into 360º videos and 270º panoramic pictures, the GoPro Max 360 is your best bet for capturing some stunning fishing shots of yours. This camera features an improved version of HyperSmooth for smooth, shake-free, and high-quality footage. It has two opposite-facing cameras with four different lenses and six microphones to provide you with exceptionally brilliant 360º shots. All these features make this camera the perfect companion to capture every moment of your fishing trip.
However, GoPro Max has its share of drawbacks too. The fact that it has two cameras means that they lack the protection that the other GoPro single-camera models have. Also, it’s waterproof only down to 16 feet, as opposed to the 33 feet waterproof protection that all the latest GoPro models provide. Another problem that users can face is the GoPro Max’s mount compatibility. The GoPro Max mounting system is different from other models.
#7. GoPro Hero 5 Session : Compact, Lightweight, Good for Beginners
- The GoPro Hero 5 session includes: Hero5 session camera, standard frame, curved...
- Make sure your GoPro is charged; To charge your camera, use USB cable and a computer...
- Additional GoPro Hero5 session features + benefits below on item page; Photos are...
Although it’s a toned-down version of the Hero 5 Black, the GoPro Hero 5 Session camera is much more affordable than its big brother. It is compact, lightweight, and super-intuitive. You simply need to press the power button, and the camera is ready to record.
The Hero 5 Session is capable of recording 4K video at 30fps. Its Time-lapse mode is great to capture things like those epic fights when the fish leaps and tries to shake the hook off. All these features make the Hero 5 Session a great starting point for an angler who’s not very familiar with GoPros.
GoPro Fishing Tips
Here are some tips and settings that may help you to have a great experience shooting your fishing trip with GoPro:
- Rather than taking one shot at a time, use the burst mode to take multiple still photos.
- Capture a few slow-motion shots for dramatic effect (read on to find more info on GoPro fishing settings).
- Use GoPro Mounts for quality shots and best angles while you’re fishing (mentioned below).
Find all the tips for fishing with your GoPro: GoPro Fishing Guide 101: How to Use + Best Accessories.
Recommended Mounts For Fishing
1.GoPro Suction Cup Mount
- No More Dead Go Pro Battery! YOLOtek PowerStick 53" Stick Only. Bass Boat Accessories...
- Used by many Pro Anglers: Randy Howell, Brent Ehrler & more to video fish tournament....
- Let’s GO! YOLOtek PowerStick53" GoPro Mount power pole for boats. Constant power...
More suction cup mounts: 7 Strongest GoPro Suction Cup Mounts for Steady Shots.
2. Fishing Pole Clamp for GoPro
- The Accessory Pro brand product, made to be used with GoPro cameras.
- NVG mount is CNC machined aluminum.
- Fit OPS CORE style NVG mount base.
More clamp mounts: 10 Best Clamp Mounts for GoPro (+ Creative Filming Ideas).
3. GoPro Polarising Filters to reduce water reflection.
- TELESIN CPL + ND 8 + ND 16 + ND 32 Lens Fitler Kit, precisely engineered for gopro...
- Made with high grade multi-coated optical glass, high definition glass provides...
- High transmittance over 99.5% does not reduce image quality, ultra-thin glass design...
Best GoPro Settings for Fishing
|Frame Rate (FPS)||30/60|
Also have a look at the video below for some practical information about the best GoPro settings for making fishing videos from a fisherman’s POV:
Which GoPro Camera Should You Choose for Fishing?
All the GoPro cameras that I’ve mentioned above work pretty well for capturing spectacular shots of your fishing trip. If you ask me which one is the best, I’d definitely say GoPro Hero 12 Black. But, that comes with a higher price. So, if you’re looking for a somewhat cheaper option without much compromise on footage quality, go for the GoPro Hero 8 Black.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you understand which GoPro camera is the best for fishing shots. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!