Fishing is an activity full of some memorable moments, incredibly beautiful scenes, and if you’re lucky – trophy-sized fish! Therefore, you must carry a camera with you to capture such stunning moments to share it with your friends later. So, there’s nothing better than a GoPro action camera for this highly unpredictable activity involving sudden, rapid moves, and of course water.
However, you must be wondering which GoPro you should buy, considering the fact that there are many GoPro models available in the market – new and old. So in this article you will learn about the five best GoPros that you can buy for fishing (as of 2021).
Let’s dive in!
5 Best GoPro for Fishing
Enlisted below are the 5 best GoPro cameras for fishing:
#1. GoPro Hero 9 Black : Our Top Pick!
- 5K Video - Shoot stunning video with up to 5K resolution, perfect for maintaining...
- 20MP Photo with SuperPhoto - Capture crisp, pro-quality photos with 20MP clarity. And...
- Front Display plus Rear Touch Screen - A new, larger rear touch screen with touch...
Being the latest GoPro model currently, the GoPro Hero 9 Black is also the most expensive option on this list. So, if you aren’t willing to pay 350-400 bucks for an action camera, you may look at the other options on this list.
That said, the Hero 9 Black is an incredibly wonderful action camera. It’s able to shoot videos at 5K resolution (30fps) and 20 MP pictures. Both these specs are the best so for for any GoPro. Add to it and upgraded HyperSmooth 3.0 stabilization (available for both 4K/60fps and 5K/30fps), you’re sure to get some amazing fishing shots with impressive detail!
In addition to this, you also get the latest version of TimeWarp mode, an all-new color screen, and a bigger battery that gives you more run time. All in all, this is the perfect wonder gear that you can take along for shooting your video while fishing.
#2. GoPro Hero 8 Black : Still Top-Notch for Fishing in 2021
- HyperSmooth 2.0: HERO8 Black has three levels of stabilization: On, High and Boost....
- Streamlined Design: The re-imagined shape is more pocketable, and folding fingers at...
- Expandable Mods: Vloggers, pro filmmakers and aspiring creators can do more than ever...
Although it’s been more than a year since this model launched, the GoPro Hero 8 Black has some amazing specs that make it one of our top contenders for the best GoPro for fishing. Coming at about a 100 bucks less than the latest Hero 9, this camera provides a fairly wonderful user experience.
The Hero 8 has an upgraded 2.0 version of HyperSmooth and TimeWarp, therefore providing stunning footage of your fishing action or other outdoor activities. It provides a pretty decent maximum video resolution of 4K/60fps and packs in a 12 MP image sensor for pictures. Plus, this camera has wind-resistant microphones. So, you get crystal clear audio of your footage.
#3. GoPro Max 360 : Best for 360-degree Fishing Shots
- Three Cameras in One: Maximize your creative freedom. With MAX you can shoot...
- Max HyperSmooth: MAX gives you unbreakable stabilization by using 180-degree capture...
- Live Streaming in 1080p: Shoot in HERO mode and share while you’re there. Live...
If you’re really into 360º videos and 270º panoramic pictures, the GoPro Max 360 is your best bet for capturing some stunning fishing shots of yours. This camera features an improved version of HyperSmooth for smooth, shake free and high-quality footage. It has two opposite facing cameras with four different lenses and six microphones to provide you exceptionally brilliant 360º shots. All these features make this camera the perfect companion to capture every moment of your fishing trip.
However, GoPro Max has its share of drawbacks too. The fact that it has two cameras means that they lack the protection that the other GoPro single camera models have. Also, it’s waterproof only down to 16 feet, as opposed to the 33 feet waterproof protection that all the latest GoPro models provide. Another problem that users can face is the GoPro Max’s mount compatibility. The GoPro Max mounting system is different from other models.
#4. GoPro Hero 7 Black : Budget 4K Action Camera
- KIT INCLUDES: GoPro HERO7 Black Camera (CHDHX-701) | Rechargeable Battery | Mounting...
- KEY FEATURES: 4K60 Video + 12MP Photos | HyperSmooth Video Stabilization | TimeWarp...
- The GoPro HERO7 Black features the HyperSmooth Video Stabilization with gimbal like...
The first camera with GoPro’s game-changing image stabilization HyperSmooth, the GoPro Hero 7 Black is a great camera that is capable of shooting amazing 4K/60fps videos. I would highly recommend this camera to those who are looking for a budget action camera. The GoPro Hero 7 also features SuperPhoto, which automatically optimizes your settings to take the best picture possible. So, with this camera you’ll be able to shoot incredibly smooth, stabilized footage and crisp, high-quality photos of your fishing adventure.
Now, coming to the downside: You won’t be able to use the HyperSmooth at 120 fps or higher. But, standard video stabilization is available for these latter formats.
#5. GoPro Hero 5 Session : Compact, Lightweight, Good for Beginners
- The GoPro Hero 5 session includes: Hero5 session camera, standard frame, curved...
- Make sure your GoPro is charged; To charge your camera, use USB cable and a computer...
- Additional GoPro Hero5 session features + benefits below on item page; Photos are...
Although it’s a toned-down version of the Hero 5 Black, the GoPro Hero 5 Session camera is much more affordable than its big brother. It is compact, lightweight, and super-intuitive. You simply need to press the power button, and the camera is ready to record.
The Hero 5 Session is capable of recording 4K video at 30fps. Its Time-lapse mode is great to capture things like those epic fights when the fish leaps and tries to shake the hook off. All these features make the Hero 5 Session a great starting point for an angler who’s not very familiar with GoPros.
GoPro Fishing Tips
Here are some tips and settings that may help you to have a great experience shooting your fishing trip with GoPro:
- Rather than taking one shot at a time, use the burst mode to take multiple still photos.
- Capture a few slow-motion shots for dramatic effect.
- Use GoPro Mounts for quality shots and best angles while you’re fishing.
GoPro Suction Cup Mount
- USED BY RANDY HOWELL & MANY PRO ANGLERS! PowerStick is what Randy Howell, Bassmaster...
- POWERS YOUR GOPRO ALL DAY LONG: No More Dead GoPro Batteries! Converts 12 volts from...
- LIKE HAVING A CAMERAMAN ON YOUR BOAT: Catch video of your PB & other adventures. A...
Fishing Pole Clamp for GoPro
- The Accessory Pro brand product, made to be used with GoPro cameras.
- NVG mount is CNC machined aluminum.
- Fit OPS CORE style NVG mount base.
- Use GoPro Polarising Filters to reduce water reflection.
Check out this link: Top 14 GoPro Filters (Neutral Density, Polarizing, & Underwater)
- Best GoPro Settings for Fishing
|Frame Rate (FPS)||30/60|
Also have a look at the video below for some practical information about the best GoPro settings for making fishing videos from a fisherman’s POV:
Which GoPro Camera Should You Choose for Fishing?
All the GoPro cameras that I’ve mentioned above work pretty well for capturing spectacular shots of your fishing trip. If you ask me which one is the best, I’d definitely say GoPro Hero 9 Black. But, that comes with a higher price. So, if you’re looking for a somewhat cheaper option without much compromise on footage quality, go for GoPro Hero 7 Black or Hero 8.
Thanks for reading 🙏
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends 🙂