GoPro is known for its unmatched lineup of action camera accessories. Today I present you a review of a new GoPro Volta Control Grip, which is the latest addition to this lineup. It is not just an ordinary handheld grip. The Volta Control Grip is packed with several useful features – you can use it as a tripod, and remote, plus the built-in 4900 mAh battery combined with the Hero 10’s battery triples its normal life. That means over four hours of 5.3K/30FPS video recording!
GoPro Volta attempts to combine multiple GoPro accessories into one great piece of tech. Whether it succeeds in that or not – everything’s detailed in our review of GoPro Volta.
So, let’s get started.
GoPro Volta – Specifications
First and foremost, let’s get to the specs of the Volta grip.
- Battery: Built-in 4900 mAh battery
- Battery Life: Over 4 hours of 5.3K/30FPS recording (combined with GoPro)
- Compatibility: GoPro HERO10 Black, GoPro HERO9 Black, all GoPro Mods + Accessories
- Power input/output type: USB-C
- Charge time: 2.5 hours with GoPro Supercharger
- Notable Features: Extended Battery Power, Single-Hand Control, Built-in Tripod, Wireless Remote
- Waterproof: No
- Price: $129.99
You can buy GoPro Volta from GoPro’s Official Website.
GoPro Volta – Full Review
GoPro Volta is much more than a handheld grip. It is, essentially, a handle, remote, tripod, and external battery in one small, lightweight system. This grip features integrated camera buttons for easy single-hand control of your GoPro. Additionally, you can flip out the tripod legs to shoot some amazing time-lapses, group photos, or any other stable shot.
What’s more, Volta is a powered grip that combines with your camera’s battery to offer you over 4 hours of 5.3K/30 recording time! Want to control your GoPro remotely? Volta does that too. Detach the grip, and you’ll be able to control your camera from up to 98 feet away.
Overall, GoPro Volta is a super-versatile grip that comes with special abilities.
When you first look at it, Volta looks like just another grip. It holds the GoPro with the GoPro mount and features a stretchable security lanyard at the bottom. Furthermore, it comes with mounting fingers that fold out to attach to GoPro backpacks, straps, and more. The grip feels solid to hold. It’s built with high-quality plastic and metal.
Volta can also swivel open into a short tripod that’s great for stable, low-angle shots. For high-angle shots, you can keep Volta on any flat surface, like a table. Near the top of the grip, there’s the integrated remote. It is connected by a wire to the camera by default, but can also work wirelessly over Bluetooth. The remote lets you perform several functions, like switching camera modes, starting and stopping recording, checking battery life, and more.
On the right side, Volta features a USB-C input alongside an integrated USB-C cable. Using it, Volta can charge your GoPro or any other small accessory that you might have.
Here are the notable features of Volta:
- Extended Battery Power: This battery-powered grip combines with your camera’s battery to offer you over 4 hours of 5.3K/30 recording time.
- Single-Hand Control: Volta features integrated camera buttons for easy one-handed control.
- Built-in Tripod: You just need to flip out the Volta’s tripod legs for time-lapse, a group photo, or any other stable shot.
- Wireless Remote: Volta lets you detach the grip and control your camera from up to 98 feet away.
- Mod Compatible: Volta is capable of connecting with the GoPro Media Mod to customize and expand the possibilities.
- Mounting Fingers: The mounting fingers fold out to attach to GoPro backpacks, straps, and more.
- LED Lights: This grip also features LED lights that let you check battery life and camera mode at a glance.
Volta is weather-resistant and fit for use in both rain and snow. However, it’s not waterproof. It means that the Volta can’t be used with the GoPro underwater. Doing so will damage the grip as well as the attached GoPro camera.
Battery & Charging
To charge the GoPro Volta, you can use the included USB-C cable. With a fast power adapter, Volta can charge at up to 15W speed. When it comes to output, it is capped at 12W. A fast charger can give a 60 percent charge to your Volta in just about an hour. And, for a full charge, it will take 2.5 hours. Other than that, Volta can also charge the GoPro as well as any other USB-C device.
Talking about the battery life, GoPro says you should expect a combined battery life (GoPro + Volta) of over four hours when shooting 5.3K video at 30 frames per second. Volta features a built-in 4900 mAh battery.
The price of GoPro Volta at the time of writing this post is $129.99.
You can check the Current Price of GoPro Volta on GoPro’s official website.
GoPro Volta – Pros & Cons
Based on our usage of GoPro Volta so far, here are the pros and cons of this product:
- Offers Great Value by integrating multiple accessories into one
- Solid Build Quality
- Can charge other USB-C devices in addition to your GoPro
- Offers 4+ hours of 5.3K video recording time combined with your GoPro.
- Makes it easy to hold the camera
- Easily accessible buttons
- Can also work remotely over Bluetooth
- Compatible with most GoPro mods
- Not waterproof
So, Is the GoPro Volta Worth Buying?
The main value proposition of the GoPro Volta is the fact that it is, essentially, multiple accessories integrated into one. When you buy them individually, GoPro charges $80 for the wireless remote, $25 for an added battery, and the 3-way 2.0 grip for $80. So, all these accessories together will cost you around $185.
With Volta, you get all the features of these accessories built-in (except the fully extendable arm) at only $129. Therefore, it’s definitely a wise decision to buy this one product rather than going for three to four different products. It’s also a lot more convenient than having to swap out the battery on your GoPro, for example.
Therefore, if you don’t plan to use the grip underwater, the new Volta is a must-have GoPro accessory.
You can buy GoPro Volta from GoPro’s Official Website.
Thanks for reading!
I hope this guide helped you learn all about the GoPro Volta grip. 🙂
Sharing is Caring ❤️
If you found this article useful, please share it on social media with your family and friends!